Thread: Spares for 1994 Colt 6450 9mm rifle

Feedback Score

Spares for 1994 Colt 6450 9mm rifle

My brother purchased the 9mm rifle as part of a program while a county police officer back in the 90s. He used it on duty until he retired, and perhaps put 500 rounds through it at the range. I've put another 1000 through it since I bought it from him many years back. I am going to use this nice light rifle for practical rifle competitions and wonder where spares, from barrels to BCGs to trigger assemblies, can be purchased? I've emailed Colt several times with no luck, and can't find anyone on the phone to give me a good answer...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    G&R had a post not long ago that Colt is doing a run of complete rifles that are going to go for around $1100 IIRC. I would contact them about spare parts.

ETA: Just noticed Brownells has 16" barrels and a few other parts in stock.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 07-23-17 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you want factory colt parts, you'd be best asking G&R Tactical. However, the AR is a lego set and parts are pretty standardized. I'm not sure if that gun comes with the "9mm hammer" or mil-spec, so that might be worth looking into just so you know what to order.

Anyhow, the odds of a bolt breaking is minimal. It's one piece. If it were me, I would keep an "oops" kit. Spare springs, pins, detents, a couple extractors, and MAYBE a spare bolt if you're paranoid.
    Last edited by Shagnasty; 07-23-17 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
    If you want factory colt parts, you'd be best asking G&R Tactical. However, the AR is a lego set and parts are pretty standardized. I'm not sure if that gun comes with the "9mm hammer" or mil-spec, so that might be worth looking into just so you know what to order.

Anyhow, the odds of a bolt breaking is minimal. It's one piece. If it were me, I would keep an "oops" kit. Spare springs, pins, detents, a couple extractors, and MAYBE a spare bolt if you're paranoid.
    Thanks to both of you for the G&R Tactical reference. They weren't in my personal vendor list and I'll have to call them now that I've looked at the site and see all sorts of nice things. The oops kit is exactly what I'm talking about, and having ended up with a cracked BCG (admittedly on a home built AR), having a spare, especially if they're hard to find, is peace of mind for me.
    John

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    5.56 BOLT or carrier? Breaking a bolt is common. Breaking a carrier I have only seen once. And that's in something like 1 million plus rounds of 5.56 I personally oversaw as a range officer for 6 years.

And since a 9mm bolt is more carrier than bolt "head" I would suggest not worrying and spending all the money. Buy a mil spec oops kit from any known mfg, and call it good.

Feedback Score
    No, a cracked CARRIER (and yes, from a 5.56). I think it was just poor manufacturing, and as I recall less than 100 rounds. My point is simply the age of the rifle: IF something were to go wrong, are there enough spare parts that have been verified to work with the Colt assemblies? Part of me says use this rifle sparingly and buy the latest Colt model or the newly announced Windham Weaponry model (I have two of theirs in 5.56 and are SOLID) to use at the range or training for competition.

That said, I'm still trying to get to the right person at Colt that can answer the questions...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Keep a few trigger/hammer pins on hand. They take a beating with blowback ARs

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The age doesn't matter. You have an (obviously) Colt pattern 9mm AR. There are no hard to find or out of production parts for your rifle.

I've never heard of a 9mm bolt breaking. The hammer pin and bolt catch are areas of concern.

A "ramped" bolt along with a standard "un-notched" AR-15 hammer for the first.

A longer buffer or spacer helps for the second.

Feedback Score
    Good to know, thanks. I am trying to find a local armorer class that will work with me on the 9mm. Still, i am tempted to use it sparingly and either get a new 6951 or Windham's new release...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk