Thread: Thoughts on PSA 9mm uppers?

Feedback Score

Thoughts on PSA 9mm uppers?

I have an Aero Precision mil-spec lower and am considering buying a Palmetto State Armory 9mm upper (likely something like this: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-9...cg-and-ch.html). I already have a Hahn Precision block. There's a disclaimer on the page that says it is designed to work with PSA lowers.

I emailed customer service to verify that it would work and they would not state that it would work with a mil-spec lower. The exact wording was, "We unfortunately cannot make any guarantees that this upper will work with a standard mil-spec lower receiver".

Has anybody have any experience putting this on a mil-spec lower?
    Last edited by pubb; 06-06-17 at 13:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pubb View Post
    I have an Aero Precision mil-spec lower and am considering buying a Palmetto State Armory 9mm upper (likely something like this: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-9...cg-and-ch.html). I already have a Hahn Precision block. There's a disclaimer on the page that says it is designed to work with PSA lowers.

I emailed customer service to verify that it would work and they would not state that it would work with a mil-spec lower. The exact wording was, "We unfortunately cannot make any guarantees that this upper will work with a standard mil-spec lower receiver".

Has anybody have any experience putting this on a mil-spec lower?
    If the price is in your range get it, if it doesn't work just buy a PSA lower.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    I bought a PSA 16" 9mm kit. It was a complete rifle less a lower receiver. Tried it on a regular, i.e., non-9 mm, lower with a couple different Hahn blocks. It would not work for anything. Different mags, ammo, bullet styles, etc. Essentially, a single shot and an unreliable one at that. Also tried the PSA upper on a separate 9mm AR pistol that otherwise worked fine. Again, jam city.

Finally bought a stripped CMMG 9mm lower, and completed it with the other parts in the kit. Now the PSA upper runs perfectly. Two classes and other range time, close to a thousand rounds, not a single misfeed or anything.

The bottom insert Hahn block on the AR pistol runs 100% too.

Just one of those things where either piece played well with anything but the other piece.

Feedback Score
    The lower this would be mated to is already an SBR, so swapping the lower is a bigger issue than just filling out a form and handing over payment.

P

Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    If the price is in your range get it, if it doesn't work just buy a PSA lower.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pubb View Post
    The lower this would be mated to is already an SBR, so swapping the lower is a bigger issue than just filling out a form and handing over payment.

P
    Not if you used a pistol lower, just an option if it doesn't work on your SBR NFA lower.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    Not if you used a pistol lower, just an option if it doesn't work on your SBR NFA lower.
    So then the question is whether I apply for a new tax stamp or a pistol license. Either way, I gotta deal with The Man and pay a tax in order to own more of what I already own: pistol caliber carbines.
    Last edited by pubb; 06-06-17 at 19:57.

Feedback Score
    I have a PSA upper and lower that has yet to complete a range trip (in 5 attempts) without a jam sever enough that I have to fix at home. I've had case separations in all but one of those - with a bullet left lodged in the lands when trying to unchamber in the other case. Their chamber seems VERY tight and possibly too short (as the bullet left lodged in the lands would indicate).

These were all reloads. Bought some factory WWB to test once I can get the latest separated case out of the chamber.

Given that I have 5 9mm pistols, with varying degrees of chamber tightness, and no chambering issues, I am currently looking for a replacement barrel. I am seeing many others posting similar stories about PSA.

Feedback Score
    I've got a PSA 9mm (upper and lower are PSA) and it runs like a greased pig. I've put now over 1,000 rounds through it and i've never had a hiccup and it shoots great. Probably 600 of those 1,000+ rounds have been reloads, with zero issues. I did put an aftermarket 9mm buffer in it though, and the trigger is a Geissele SSA-E. I will say though, mine didn't like the Rock River 2-Stage AR trigger. With that trigger specifically, the trigger wouldn't always reset if I did a calculated reset after a trigger pull. But with the stock trigger and SSA-E, it's been flawless.