Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Get home bag/ bob related question.

Feedback Score

Get home bag/ bob related question.

I was bored today and have been thinking about a get home type bag for the jeep. Nothing fancy. So I watched some videos and did some online research and have a question.

I see most of the folks that have a well thought out bag have a bag with a waist belt to distribute weight. But the same folks seem to have a pistol and ccw holster (either IWB or OWB) designed to ride on the regular ccw in the pants belt. Am I the only one who sees this as an issue? Am I missing something, or are these folks not thinking that far ahead?

Any suggestions to work around the issue, as I agree if the bag is that heavy a waist belt should help?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Think about how much stuff you want to put in the bag then figure out what bag you want. You may end up with a bag small enough it has either a small waist belt or one you won't need to use anyway.

Feedback Score
    True. But now that I think about it a pistol at 3-4 o'clock would have similar issues. Not planning to use a gun, but I don't think the answer would be tell whoever "Hey, I can't get to my gun, let me take my backpack off before you try to shoot me".

Feedback Score
    Maybe I'm overthinking this. I'd likely have at most a camelbak mule. but it seems even camelbak straps would be in the way. And appendix carry is out for me. Not going to sweat it for now. Just wondered.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Just my opinion, but unless you live somewhere remote like Alaska an emergency bag doesn't really need to have that much stuff in it that you need a waist belt. Too many people love throwing 45lbs worth of shit in their bags. Think through what you'd really need and define its purpose. I'd much rather have easy access to my CCW than pack so much that I need a waist strap. Plus, plenty of guys roll on 12 mile rucks and never buckle their waist belt. But it is a good point OP, I don't think many people really consider that.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My get home bag that rides in the truck is a Hill People Gear Tarahumara. The size is great for this purpose IMO and doesn't have a waist strap. I think you're right that some folks haven't thought some things through.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I'm with Wake27 all the way.

My philosophy/opinion is as follows, and is worth what you paid for it:

1) Determine the maximum distance you typically find yourself from your crib.
    2) Determine common problems that might initiate getting stranded
    3) Work around those

The vast majority of folks would be served best by having a serviceable spare, some fix-a-flat, spare serpentine belt, some rescue tape, a couple of fuses, and a gallon of water in the vehicle.

A pair of boots, socks, a Clif Bar, a can of dip, and a USGI poncho would be about the best things to have should you find yourself stuck and trying to get home.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Just my opinion, but unless you live somewhere remote like Alaska an emergency bag doesn't really need to have that much stuff in it that you need a waist belt. Too many people love throwing 45lbs worth of shit in their bags. Think through what you'd really need and define its purpose. I'd much rather have easy access to my CCW than pack so much that I need a waist strap. Plus, plenty of guys roll on 12 mile rucks and never buckle their waist belt. But it is a good point OP, I don't think many people really consider that.
    Theres lots of truth in this.

I've seen folks pack a GHB like they're through hiking the Appalachian Trail. A small to moderate sling pack will give you more than enough space for some basics. They're easy to access the contents without dropping the pack and many have some provision for CCW.
    Last edited by BBossman; 07-03-16 at 14:22.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I have to agree with most have said about not overloading yourself with things you don't need. You'll regret carrying so much weight for unneeded things.

Other than my normal EDC and my emergency vehicle kit I have a few things for If I needed to hump it home. Proper clothing for the season and a way to carry water are the most important to me. Usually I'm dressed in a way that I could deal with the hike. A plastic poncho is something you should have in the Jeep anyway and I always have a pair of sneakers in the car because in the summer time I wear flip flops.
    Having some cash and ID are also important.
    Small first aid kit and a reserve battery for your phone is good to have too. Also a flashlight that will have a long runtime like a Fenix PD35
    Things you don't need are 5 inch survival knives flare guns, half an emergency room of medical supplies, and handheld GPS units unless where you plan on making it home from require such things.

Most of those guys doing write ups and videos are acting like they'll be at work one minute and the next all hell has broken loose and the highways are locked up and Marshall law has been declared and they're going to fight there way home.

I was living in NY on 9/11 and people who were walking out of the city needed water and weren't dressed right for the hike.
    Also your get home bag should probably look less like a tactical ruck and more like a book bag or day pack. I'm partial to a Kifaru Antero which honestly is a bit more tactical than I'd like.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Because I live in a remote area, my emergency pack is a small sling bag for unsupported wilderness treks and/or staying put for 72 hours (could be longer, but I'd be getting pretty hungry). I use it any time I'm leaving the local area in my truck. To get home if I'm working here locally is- at absolute worst- a 7 mile hike. I can do that in about an hour (or two if it's really hot) with a 20 oz. water bottle and a sturdy pair of shoes.

If you need a waist belt, you probably need to re-evaluate what you have in your pack. Also make sure you're in the shape to carry a bag that heavy over the distance you expect (e.g. go out there and try it- I'll bet you're not as good as you think, unless you backpack/ruck on a regular basis). My fully loaded "get home" bag weighs 16 pounds including water, and I could lose 2-3 of that at least, if I had to. I could also stuff the whole bag, or just its contents, into a normal looking backpack for more "grey man" look.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast