Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Home Surveillance Cameras

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    It also creates its own wireless network so it doesn't clog up your home network.

We use them for security cameras around the house. The nest dropcam is great but you still need to plug it in which can be a pain outside. We use the nest cams for server room security so I am well aware of both.

You can also get skins for the cameras if you dont like the white. They have black, grey, camo, and coyote brown.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at Arlo, I like it but each camera takes 4 batteries, plus there's a chance someone can hack into your Wi-Fi and compromise your security system

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygunguy View Post
    there's a chance someone can hack into your Wi-Fi and compromise your security system
    Compared to what? Do you understand how you hack into modern day wifi?

Arlo does not use your wifi, it creates its own secure network.

Feedback Score
    What about with an SDR? I read an article on Forbes . I'm not an IT guy I'm just was curious. I'm looking for a surveillance system was looking at Arlo

”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I know the article you are talking about and it's not the same thing.

Feedback Score
    Gotcha

~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Got an email today... Best Buy has ARLO 4 set for $449.. not sure how long.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Compared to what? Do you understand how you hack into modern day wifi?

Arlo does not use your wifi, it creates its own secure network.
    I noticed if you add more than 5 cams you have to pay monthly fee. Do you know what would happen if one were to buy two sets of 4 cams with the hubs.

1hub+4
    1hub+4

Would they try to combine and communicate as one network. Or would they run as two networks. I assume each would take an IP address off your switch.

So if 4pack 1 got address 192.169.1.10 and 4pack 2 got 192.168.1.20 would they see each other and try to make one wireless? and/or regardless of their client IP would they see each other wirelessly?

Or could you have NET1 4pack and NET2 4pack for free and oblivious to each other even in close proximity? For an extended no fee setup. Obviously no need if you choose to pay for their service.
    Last edited by tb-av; 09-12-16 at 19:27.

Feedback Score
    I think the main issue with wifi is not the security but the lack of reliability. I've heard complaints about the wifi signal dropping out at the most inopportune times but ymmv. I really don't know enough to be commenting on it.

Feedback Score
    My only issue with Arlo I read the battery life doesn't last in below freezing temperatures. Per their website.

~Tench Coxe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast