Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MAS Defense

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    Truck guns, to me, are for critters on your property.
    Truck guns are just for getting stolen.

Really... that's the only reason. A gun that you may rely on to save your life needs to be clean, well maintained, loaded with quality ammunition from a good magazine, (perhaps) aided by accessories and optics, and on-your-person.

Annual incidences of Bubba Rambo "fighting his way back to his long gun," donning his armor, engaging in street combat, and saving the day: 0
    Annual incidences of being called upon to "dispatch" animals in some kind of wildlife management role: (I don't know... I've never seen it. It sure gets talked about a lot.)
    Annual incidences of guns being stolen from vehicles: More than half of the 232,400 firearms stolen annually.

The best Truck Gun is a super soaker. Can be used to entertain kids, ambush your friends, or hold impromptu wet t-shirt contests. If it's got to be a firearm, go for a crap shotgun. Cheap enough to serve the ultimate purpose of being stolen, but can also be used for forestry type stuff.

Back to the topic at hand- quality ARs are so incredibly cheap these days, it doesn't make sense to buy MAS Defense, Booty Arms, Gothic Viking, Homeless Infidel, or Palmetto State Arms.
    Last edited by KalashniKEV; 09-09-16 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=KalashniKEV;2377386]Truck guns are just for getting stolen.
    Annual incidences of being called upon to "dispatch" animals in some kind of wildlife management role: (I don't know... I've never seen it. It sure gets talked about a lot.)

You must not have ever lived in a rural area.

Growing up it was a few times a week. Badgers, porcupines, coons, coyotes, gophers, prairie dogs. All destructive species. It never ends. Nature creates an endless supply of them.

Where I live now I would have no use for a everyday critter gun.

"Truck Gun" is a real thing with a real practical application.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BFS View Post
    You must not have ever lived in a rural area.
    No, I have... I was just never responsible for managing the wildlife of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BFS View Post
    Badgers, porcupines, coons, coyotes, gophers, prairie dogs. All destructive species.
    You shoot all those things on sight? That's wild!

Feedback Score
    What I don't get is why doesn't he just go buy a Colt for $800 from one of the many vendors that has them in stock for that incredibly low price right now. That way, when he takes this rifle out for 1000+ round carbine courses, the ones I like to read about online, it won't break down on him. (Sarcasm)

Okay, now that I got that portion out of the way, I will attempt to honestly answer your question from the perspective of a Combat Vet/Leo/Competitive shooter who shoots at least 2-3k rounds a year. I pretty much check all the boxes of a person who should be posting here with the exception of not being hyper-opinionated or paying for training courses. For starters, I don't know anything specific a MAS Defense. If I have ever seen one of their guns in real life, I did so without realizing it or making a mental note of it. However, if you look around the WWW and see them getting positive reviews, there is no reason to discount those people's experiences. Also, as a police officer, I don't recommend "Truck Guns" and would never consider leaving a gun in my vehicle overnight. But, from my experience the two most common ways to attract burglars is to first, leave your doors unlocked, and second, leave valuables in plain sight. Someone around here recently had a BCM rifle and two Sig handguns stolen when he left his doors unlocked. Either that or he is broke and needs the insurance money.

So lets talk about Budget AR uppers. On budget uppers, there are going to be corners cut. Now, the thing to consider is are the corners being cut going to make the rifle less desirable for your application, or possible future applications? How much do you plan on shooting the rifle? Do you have a history of shooting thousands of rounds through a gun in less than a few years? What kind of accuracy needs do you have? What features on a rifle are considered must haves? When I look at a upper, if I had to cut corners, it would be on the things that are probably going to effect my shooting the least, like barrel testing (my 30-06 isn't HPT/MPI and neither is yours), Free float (doesn't add much to close range shooting or shooting from an unsupported position), and chrome lining (it only matters if you can shoot out the barrel to begin with). Along those lines I would recommend a PSA Freedom in Mid-length on the low end, which will run about $350 when you factor in the BCG, charging handle and flip up sight. For about $100 more, you can get a premium PSA upper which will feature an FN barrel over a no-name barrel. I own both a Premium upper and a Freedom upper and have thousands through both. I out most people at competitions with my PSA Freedom, which cost me $190.

On this forum, you are going to see a lot of strong opinions, but I promise you everything I say is based on shooting experience, which isn't something you are going to see a lot of people say around here. There have been some other threads (all locked by now) about people wanting to going join the party by buying a budget AR. They were all an example of volume being more important that content, which is a common occurrence on gun forums. Most people, when asked direct questions about why they say specific things, responded with extreme butt-hurt, instead of relating what they said with their actual, first hand shooting experience.
    Last edited by NWcityguy2; 09-09-16 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrevailFI View Post
    I've got a safe full of "top tier" rifles, but when I decided to keep a carbine in the trunks of 3 vehicles, I was NOT putting my decked out guns where they could (relatively) easily be stolen.
    I went with PSA Premium and Freedom line guns. I bought all parts on sale, with free shipping and used only PSA Premium BCGs. I paid no more than $500 for any of them. I am very, very pleased with those purchases. To vette them, I shot them almost exclusively for over a year. I have not had a single hiccup or issue of any kind in a combined three or four thousand rounds

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Lets see....you have tier 1 rifles that will not fail you in a self defense situation but when you leave home you take low end equipment for self defense........
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Lets see....you have tier 1 rifles that will not fail you in a self defense situation but when you leave home you take low end equipment for self defense........
    Mostly...correct...Shortstack....

I leave them in my trunks as insurance against that incredibly unlikely chance I run into a situation that both A. Would be better handled by a long gun, and 2. Allows me access to my long gun.
    Well vetted carbines are stored in square, nylon cases stenciled "Bocce! The Italian Lawn Game". Most unappealing to a thief on a street or in a parking lot with my alarms sounding. Gee...I...hope...you...approve...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrevailFI View Post
    Mostly...correct...Shortstack....

I leave them in my trunks as insurance against that incredibly unlikely chance I run into a situation that both A. Would be better handled by a long gun, and 2. Allows me access to my long gun.
    Well vetted carbines are stored in square, nylon cases stenciled "Bocce! The Italian Lawn Game". Most unappealing to a thief on a street or in a parking lot with my alarms sounding. Gee...I...hope...you...approve...

Typical after the fact rationalization from low post counter who would be better served on TOS....
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Typical after the fact rationalization from low post counter who would be better served on TOS....
    Bonus points for absurdities and ridiculousnesses:

Quote Originally Posted by PrevailFI
    ...in square, nylon cases stenciled "Bocce! The Italian Lawn Game".
    The difference in cost between a Colt OEM1 at $770 and a junker is what... maybe a little under $300?

The cost of a case of 5.56 is what... maybe a little over $300?

So the cost delta of going with a junker is less than the actual cost of a case of ammo?

Does not make sense...

Get a serious rifle and spend a weekend you'd otherwise be training and expending ammo by doing reflexive dryfire... or making customized death dealer cases with your markers and stencils.

If you follow this advice, you will thank me in the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boatsman View Post
    Does anyone have any first hand experience with their uppers? How is the quality?
    Based on the fact that they are a very obscure, almost unheard of company, I would look at some of the many more established companies.
    Just out of curiosity, how did you land on them?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are MAS Defense rifles junk? No.

It seems as though I am the only person who has responded so far with actual experience with their product.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast