Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seeking First Hand Experience: Griffin Reece 5, SpecWar K, SOCOM RC2

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I personally would not use a titanium suppressor on anything but a bolt gun. Or a .30 cal can on a 5.56. Just me and my opinion. If your making a dedicated suppressed SBR, why wouldn't you buy a suppressor for that intended use only? Serious question.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Because shooting your SBR all the time with silencer will just wear out your silencer.

That isn't how they are used in the real world. They are only used when noise reduction is required.

When attached, they are heavy and long. The novelty will wear off.

The SF/KAC have a solid lock up mount with the least amount of POI shift. They are also proven designs/companies with real military contacts and these designs have been vetted in proving trials in a number of different categories.

They will have the best combination of durability, minimal POI shift, and sound reduction. There is a reason why they are the most expensive.
    I think your concept of the real world is skewed. I have never carried my MK18 without the suppressor (Surefire RC) attached. I do the same with my personal 12" SBR and RC2. The benefits of shooting with a suppressor (especially on a 10.5 gun) are huge and are overwhelmingly becoming the norm for people who do carry them professionally.

Rick

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Op, I have no dog in this fight. I'm a newb to NFA for the most part. But I will specifically speak to the competency and integrity of Jw on the subject. I my search for the right can he has been more than helpful and is the main reason I have two full size RC2s pending. I respect and trust his opinion. I expect my mk18s will be appreciative as well.
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 09-08-16 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    Why not the AAC m42k?

I personally run a socom rc. It would be my first choice.

The griffin has a good rep.

Do you have a gas buster charging handle? Gas in the face an issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I have a Specwar 556K. It's a small, simple can, that works fine on my SBRs. The Specwar is a slightly older design (internally), and the ASR mount is adequate. It's also relatively inexpensive, and built well. The Specwar series is supposedly quite durable. I also have a Saker 762 with an ASR mount because the Trifecta was terrible. The Saker works fine, but is very heavy.

Most of my friends have Surefire RC cans, so I've used them quite a bit. If I could go back and do it all again? Surefire, without a doubt. I like the muzzle devices better. They also generate less back pressure, which has become one of the most important things I look for in a suppressor.

My first post 41F suppressor purchase? Surefire 762 RC2.

And like others have mentioned - all QD suppressors get stuck at some point or another. At least with a Surefire you can shoot it off. When a Saker with a Trifecta mount gets stuck, it's time to break out the strap wrenches and barrel clamps, and hope the rocksett holds on your muzzle device.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I personally would not use a titanium suppressor on anything but a bolt gun. Or a .30 cal can on a 5.56. Just me and my opinion. If your making a dedicated suppressed SBR, why wouldn't you buy a suppressor for that intended use only? Serious question.
    Well that is what I had thought as well, hence my initial choices above. I only brought up the Omega after SiCo, CA, and my local NFA "suggested" that can over the SpecwarK.

Feedback Score
    The Omega isn't really a titanium can, it's a bit misleading. It's a fully welded can, with a titanium sleeve that houses the serial over top of it. The Ti tube doesn't do anything for structural integrity of the can, it's just a light weight window dressing to house serial, manufacturer, etc. It's stellite and steel.

As far as the durability talk, I'm curious who on here has run cans hard. By hard, I mean either well over 20K plus rounds through one can from a really short SBR, or 400+ rounds sustained fire through a suppressor on multiple occasions. I've said it many times before, but any good quality modern centerfire can is going to be far more durable than anyone out there really needs. If anyone really wants to try mad science experiments, bring over a dozen 240 barrels and a whole lot of linked ammo. I'll happily supply the 240 and a few cans to see how they hold up.

The worst non-intentional (and somewhat rapidly occurring, under 500 rounds) damage, I've seen to a suppressor was from someone using a 28 Nosler with a fairly short barrel through an 762SD. It caused some fairly quick baffle erosion, but even that wasn't anything that would degrade the can's performance. Just visual wear. But again--- the can isn't rated for that caliber. In fact, a Harvester with 28 Nosler seems to hold up just fine.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    When these things become like transferable machineguns, you will wish you had a durable can.
    This.

Full stellite baffle stack for ANYTHING but a precision bolt gun, handgun, or 22lr.

OP, I've got a Saker 762 with ASR mount and 556 end cap on my Sionics RGP 11.5", and have shot a buddy's Specwar 556 on my rifle (also have a Specwar 556 in jail); they are not the lightest cans, but their POI shift is minimal and repeatable.

My rifle, using the A5H4 buffer, LMT e-carrier, tubbs 17-7 SS flat wire AR10 action spring, and adjustable gas block, does not seem to be backpressure sensitive. I get zero gas to face. None.

Further, there is a very small difference in feel between shooting the gun can-on and can-off.

It balances at the front of the magwell with an SF G2X, BCM shorty keymod grip, Saker 762, and a 556 flash hiding end cap. Total weight is about 7.5 lbs.

Length with the stock at the same extension is equal to a 16" barrel with A2.

I, too, had a trifecta/Saker mount failure, but have been very pleased with the ASR mounts.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 09-09-16 at 08:48.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua_capitolarmory View Post
    The Omega isn't really a titanium can, it's a bit misleading. It's a fully welded can, with a titanium sleeve that houses the serial over top of it. The Ti tube doesn't do anything for structural integrity of the can, it's just a light weight window dressing to house serial, manufacturer, etc. It's stellite and steel.

As far as the durability talk, I'm curious who on here has run cans hard. By hard, I mean either well over 20K plus rounds through one can from a really short SBR, or 400+ rounds sustained fire through a suppressor on multiple occasions. I've said it many times before, but any good quality modern centerfire can is going to be far more durable than anyone out there really needs. If anyone really wants to try mad science experiments, bring over a dozen 240 barrels and a whole lot of linked ammo. I'll happily supply the 240 and a few cans to see how they hold up.

The worst non-intentional (and somewhat rapidly occurring, under 500 rounds) damage, I've seen to a suppressor was from someone using a 28 Nosler with a fairly short barrel through an 762SD. It caused some fairly quick baffle erosion, but even that wasn't anything that would degrade the can's performance. Just visual wear. But again--- the can isn't rated for that caliber. In fact, a Harvester with 28 Nosler seems to hold up just fine.
    Thank you for the insight. I was under the impression that the baffle stack was Ti and the blast baffle was stellite. Is this incorrect?
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Blast is stellite, rest of the stack is steel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast