Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanting to do an SBR build but is it even worth it now

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Based on previous gun bans, any paperwork submitted (and still awaiting approval) before the day of enactment of the ban was still approved.
    So would it be smart to just take one of my current lowers that's already on a gun and submit it as the SBR? That way I don't have to buy another lower and I can keep the gun as it is in the meantime if that is how it works.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
    So would it be smart to just take one of my current lowers that's already on a gun and submit it as the SBR? That way I don't have to buy another lower and I can keep the gun as it is in the meantime if that is how it works.

Yes that would be a smart thing to do.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Yes that would be a smart thing to do.
    Thanks for the advice. So I would be filling out a form 1 then because this is not a factory built gun, correct?

Sorry, I should specify that the gun that the lower is on is a legal 16" barrel. I just meant that I won't be buying a factory built SBR so I would then need to fill out the form 1 as an individual instead of a form 4.
    Last edited by mjpgolf1; 09-07-16 at 20:53.

Feedback Score
    Also, keep in the back of your mind the fact you can get your $200 back right up to the point you make/modify the firearm. Even after it's approved, you can get your money back...you just have to submit a statement to the ATF that you didn't make the NFA item.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    Also, keep in the back of your mind the fact you can get your $200 back right up to the point you make/modify the firearm. Even after it's approved, you can get your money back...you just have to submit a statement to the ATF that you didn't make the NFA item.
    Thank you for the additional info. Every little bit is helpful. I have read everything on this process, but no matter how many times I read it it's still a bit confusing and intimidating. I'm sure it's probably an easier process than I think, but there are so many different people saying so many different things that I have a hard time figuring out what the actual process is. I've heard everything from you have to go setup a trust in order to do an SBR, to once you list a receiver as SBR you can't change the configuration. I'm just looking for some guidance and help with this process because I would really like to get at least one done that I can enjoy in case things change down the road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12