Thread: Hello I am Rattler5

Feedback Score

Hello I am Rattler5

Hello, good sirs and madams.

I purchased a Daniel Defense V11 about 2 weeks ago and it is my first firearm. I have experience with multiple firearms (AR-15, Mosin Nagant, several .22s, shotguns, beretta 92FS, CX4, etc).

I have about a 50yd zero on it and my most recent groups are posted (note not all were shot for precision).

I am hoping to make it more of an SPR type carbine once I master the iron sights. Suggestions for a scope are welcome.

Feedback Score
    Here are my earlier groups
    Attachment 41356Attachment 41357Attachment 41358

I think my sight aligment is okay, but my trigger pull needs work.

Thanks and have a great day.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler5 View Post
    Here are my earlier groups
    Attachment 41356Attachment 41357Attachment 41358

I think my sight aligment is okay, but my trigger pull needs work.

Thanks and have a great day.
    Welcome Rattler,

First and foremost, I gotta commend you. Going with a DD was a great move, you'll quickly find that there are only a small group of names the membership here will push for, one of them is DD.

In regards to trigger pull, sounds like you have identified some work that needs to be done, which is cool. Identifying that you have finite skills, and that development is normal, you'll fit in well.

Now, I don't know where your skill level is at, but you mention this is your first firearm. So: Congratulations!

I see you have some experience behind firearms, and that's a step ahead than most when they buy their first firearm. (Great timing with the impending political turmoil too)

Just remember there a few things to getting groups (and it's a constant battle, I have yet to get an all touching group myself):
    1: Consistent cheek weld - I had this issue too. I would want to "pop-up" and check my shots. That would cause my group to drift. Once you find that perfect spot, remember it the best you can.
    2: Let the Machine do it's Mechanical duties - Pressure the trigger, but don't force it. Don't expect the shot, let it happen. (Easier said than done, I used to do this perfectly for the first shot, and would get caught up in my strings and "force" it.
    3: Understand you zero - If you have a 100 yard zero, that can be straight forward, you know you have to do holdovers for anything further than 100. If you're using the RIBZ, IBZ, or what have you, be aware of your ballistic "lift". You'll have 2 "zeroes", and you need to know how that works to truly understand the Point Of Aim vs Point Of Impact.
    4: Practice, practice, practice. - Many members here will talk about the "Crawl, Walk, Run" mentality. I did a lot of damage to my training initially by trying to advance further than I was ready for. Start with the basics, drill them until it becomes reliably boring for shot placement. Not to say you can't practice moving with a rifle, but avoid the shooting and scooting until you got the form down.

Just some tricks/tips that I have learned over the last couple years through lurking and talking it out with the community here.

Nonetheless, welcome. Make sure to post some Hi-Res pictures of that DDM4v11 on AR Pictures under the main forum.

To clarify, your groups are within Minute of Man, so you're getting along great at this point, it shows you have time behind a rifle for sure.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 09-08-16 at 08:53.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, HeruMew.

I choose the DD because I only want a few firearms. I had handled a few of the older style V7s a few years ago and wanted one. I promised myself a DD as a graduation from college gift for myself and finally grabbed one, but the v11.

I have had some trigger time on multiple weapons, but nothing consistent.

I do struggle with proper cheek weld.
    I have MBUS pros on as iron sights.

I want to master the iron sights to at least 300m. I would like to go to 500m, but that may be beyond the capabilities of the sights (I know the A2 style sights can reach out that far).
    Then put on a scope.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    MBUS Pros will do it:

You just have to practice that tactical mouth hold open.

I kid, I kid. He is a great shooter, but his facial expression just kills me.

Feedback Score
    Also I wear glasses as I am near sighted and have an astigmatism.

I do struggle with cheek weld. But that may be the shape of my skull and jaw as I seem to do a bit of a chin weld.

Feedback Score
    Finally got to take her out again.

Here is my last target of the day:
    Attachment 42280

Here is the rifle:
    Attachment 42281
    Last edited by Rattler5; 12-17-18 at 20:25.