Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt action question

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Bolt action question

At a bit of a crossroads here. Looking at getting a mostly hunting rifle for here in the Western states (White Tail, Elk, Mule Deer). Rifle will be for 75% hunting and 25% long range paper shooting occasionally. I was looking for the collective opinion on some of the users on here about higher end bolt action rifles as I am new to the game (bow hunter here). Best guess hunting distance will be about 200-400yd for known ethical shot placement but if possible would like to dabble out to 1000yd for paper punching if I feel the urge. As for weight I would like to stay away from 9lb rifles leaning towards <7lb just the rifle weight.

Caliber:
    mostly looking at 7mm REM MAG
    26/28 Nosler
    300 WIN MAG
    6.5 CM

Box rifles:
    Nosler M48 Liberty
    Fierce Fury
    Weatherby Mark V

I have approx. $1600 +- planned on spending for just the rifle. My questions is will the above rifle companies/products suit my needs "out of the box?" If I spend $1600+- I would rather not have to have the actions trued, lapped, glass bedded, etc.. Or if I am spending that kind of money already is it just better to save more and piece together a rifle over time and have it custom, IE trued action/lapped, new barrel, McMillan stock, bedded, etc? I have no real contacts in my group that are knowledgeable about this stuff, and I am a very much "buy once, cry once" and would rather put $ into quality the first time.

Or perhaps I am over looking a quality rifle that is cheaper and will suit my needs?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    For your purposes, I'd lean towards a factory Tikka rifle in 6.5CM. the Tikka rifles are extremely accurate and quality rifles for the money. Take a look at the T3X CTR in 6.5 CM. The 6.5 is more than adequate for whitetail, mule deer, or elk. Well into the .3's as far as sectional density goes for punching through animal hide/bone/muscle.

My second choice would be to buy a Howa barreled action in 6.5CM and drop it in a stock/chassis of your liking.

The 6.5CM will give you the best performance for cost/availability/ballistics and barrel life.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekkr870 View Post
    I'd lean towards a factory Tikka rifle in 6.5CM. the Tikka rifles are extremely accurate and quality rifles for the money. Take a look at the T3X CTR in 6.5 CM. The 6.5 is more than adequate for whitetail, mule deer, or elk. Well into the .3's as far as sectional density goes for punching through animal hide/bone/muscle.

My second choice would be to buy a Howa barreled action in 6.5CM and drop it in a stock/chassis of your liking.
    LOL when I went to a couple local outfitters and that was the first rifle they all grabbed when I told them my needs. I liked everything about it except the stock, which sadly I couldn't find a positive reason to like it based solely on "it doesn't feel right" to me. Maybe I should look into how much I would spend to re-stock it since that has been a first pick more than once so far from people and now you too.

I will also look into a Howa rifle barreled in 6.5CM and see how much it would be to re-stock it. Thanks!
    Last edited by thirteen/autumns; 11-20-16 at 11:38.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirteen/autumns View Post
    LOL when I went to a couple local outfitters and that was the first rifle they all grabbed when I told them my needs. I liked everything about it except the stock, which sadly I couldn't find a positive reason to like it based solely on "it doesn't feel right" to me. Maybe I should look into how much I would spend to re-stock it since that has been a first pick more than once so far from people and now you too.
    Ha! That's funny. Yeah, that rifle is popular for a reason these days. KRG, MDT, and Manners all make stocks for the Tikka. You'll be in a little over $1600 but I'm willing to bet that you'll have a damn fine rifle that shoots as good as most customs.

Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekkr870 View Post
    Ha! That's funny. Yeah, that rifle is popular for a reason these days. KRG, MDT, and Manners all make stocks for the Tikka. You'll be in a little over $1600 but I'm willing to bet that you'll have a damn fine rifle that shoots as good as most customs.

So you believe going to buy a cheaper complete rifle and dropping in the stock of my choice is better than purchasing the above higher end rifles? I guess it's kind of a mute point if you don't have any time on the above rifles but I value other's opinion on a subject I am just starting to obsess over LOL.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirteen/autumns View Post
    So you believe going to buy a cheaper complete rifle and dropping in the stock of my choice is better than purchasing the above higher end rifles? I guess it's kind of a mute point if you don't have any time on the above rifles but I value other's opinion on a subject I am just starting to obsess over LOL.
    I have no experience with the rifles you mentioned, however I do with the Tikka and Howa's. I know they shoot, first hand experience. I just think you'll be hard pressed to find a more accurate rifle than the Tikka for the money. Save some of that extra money to buy some reloading equipment and work up a load specific for your rifle. If you still decide that's not what you want, you'll have a solid action to build around.

Disclaimer : precision rifles become an addiction.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Aren't Weatherbys renamed Howa actions anyway?

I am in the same boat as the op, just a little further down the road. My research at the local rifle clubs (see what they are using and why) and the internet all pointed to the 6.5 CM with Tikka Bergara and Howa recommended for factory stock rifles in that order. So to that end I picked up both a Tikka T3x CTR and a Bergara LRP in a factory XLR chassis. I didn't feel like building a custom 700 action and I don't want to reload atm and hornady is supporting this cartridge pretty well. I don't see it fading away into custom wildcat land as it getting more popular every day and seems to have a couple of advantages over the .260 remington.

I love the Bergara, it is incredible and really, really accurate. Only mod to it was a folding stock adapter from XLR so I could store it where I wanted to in the safe. The chassis works fantastic and is very adjustable which makes it comfortable which in turn makes it easier to shoot accurately. It is a semi-custom 700 based action built in GA by what looks to be experienced vets http://www.bergarausa.com/Bergara-barrels-Process.php and Dead Air armament shares shop space with them as well. Comes with 20moa rail. I am happy with this rifle, I would buy another. With the folding stock adapter I have just under 2k into the rifle without glass.

The Tikka CTR is waiting for its range time however. I have the exact same reservation about the factory stock. Cheek weld is nonadjustable and unusable in its low position, just worthless for scope work. I am currently looking hard at chassis from MDT (HS3 or LSS-XL) KRG (X-Ray) and XLR (another element). Waiting to see what comes up with a decent discount on Black Friday. I looked at Cadex also, but it isn't a drop in chassis like the others (front tube requires scope removal, higher rings) and it is considerably more expensive.

Both actions have nice, smooth positive bolt movement and lockup. Both have threaded barrels. Both are a little short in barrel length at 20" and 22" respectively, but I dont see this as a problem as I intend to run suppressed anyway.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone;2413503
    I love the Bergara, it is incredible and really, really accurate. Only mod to it was a folding stock adapter from XLR so I could store it where I wanted to in the safe. The chassis works fantastic and is very adjustable which makes it comfortable which in turn makes it easier to shoot accurately. It is a semi-custom 700 based action built in GA by what looks to be experienced vets [URL=
    http://www.bergarausa.com/Bergara-barrels-Process.php[/URL] and Dead Air armament shares shop space with them as well. Comes with 20moa rail. I am happy with this rifle, I would buy another. With the folding stock adapter I have just under 2k into the rifle without glass.
    Thanks for the information... I am defiantly liking the Bergara lineup and sadly had never heard about nor been looking into their rifles. I see my local Cabelas & Sportsmans Warehouse has them in stock and will head over their tomorrow. I will also be heading over to McMillan's shop to ask some questions about dropping in a CTR into one of their stocks, though if my math is still good that looks to be a 2K +- job depending on bedding and what not.
    Last edited by thirteen/autumns; 11-20-16 at 15:33.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yes, Weatherby actions are rebranded Howa actions. Howa actions are what I use.

The Bergara rifles seem very nice as well. I totally forgot about them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Take the advice and get a Tikka, put it in the stock/chassis of your choice, then put the remainder of what you were willing to spend into better glass.

Factory Tikka are about the best thing out there right now, with decent aftermarket support.

I am in no way associated with Eurooptic, but I will say they have a decent amount of Tikka's left in there Tikka sale, best prices you are likely to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast