Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballistic Advantage ALG 16'' Recce Build

Feedback Score

Ballistic Advantage ALG 16'' Recce Build

This started out life as a Stag Model 3 and was my first AR. I've had it for 10+ years and it had been sitting in the safe for a while when I decided to do a Recce build with it. Just finished it up yesterday.

Upper
    Stag forged upper
    Ballistic Advantage performance series 16" 5.56 Hanson midlength barrel
    Ballistic Advantage pinned lo-pro gas block
    Rainier Arms midlength gas tube
    ALG EMR M-LOK V1 15"
    ALG M-LOK cowitness rail
    Griffin Armament taper mount muzzle brake
    Noveske BCG
    Noveske marked BCM Gunfighter charging handle
    KAC USMC marked 600m micro rear sight
    Magpul MBUS pro front sight
    Bushnell Elite Tactical SMRS 1-6.5 BTR-1 (not my first choice in a 1-6, but Natchez had them for $500 a while back. The glass quality is top notch, although the illumination is not dylight bright. Gonna pony up the dough for a Vortex Razor HD at some point.)
    ADM AD-Recon QD mount

Lower
    Stag Forged Lower
    POF 3.5 drop in trigger
    KNS pins
    Magpul SL grip (don't like this grip that much, too small for my hands, probably gonna get a BCM Mod 3)
    Magpul CTR stock
    Stag mil-spec buffer tube, spring and buffer (debating getting a BCM A5 setup)

Recce 16.jpg

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Nice looking build. How do you like the BA Barrel? I'm thinking about doing a lightweight build using their SS Hanson .625 14.5" and would love to hear how you think the quality is. I've read good stuff and their prices are fair, especially since they include a gas block.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great build!

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. MJ, I haven't gotten a chance to hit the range yet, but the fit and finish on the barrel is top notch, and the price is definitely right. I did a good bit of research before making a decision, and then BA had a 20% off 4th of July sale, so I went for it. Should be getting out to the range soon, when I do I'll do a full range report.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You got that optic for 500 bucks? That is a steal!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    You got that optic for 500 bucks? That is a steal!
    Yeah Natchez Shooters Supply had them for $499.99 about a year ago. List price on SWFA was around $1200 or so at the time, so it was definitely a steal. The glass is really clear, but the illumination is not daylight bright unfortunately. It's the FFP model which I'm not a huge fan of on a 1-6, but for that price I can deal with it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice build! Love that KAC rear/pro front combo on my stick as well. Also, that drop in 3.5 POF hasn't budged on reset or travel and I've dropped it quite a few times. Contemplating a 1-4 or 1-6 so I'm looking forward to your after action thoughts with that trigger/variable magnification combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am the painter making this mess a masterpiece.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Large View Post
    Nice build! Love that KAC rear/pro front combo on my stick as well. Also, that drop in 3.5 POF hasn't budged on reset or travel and I've dropped it quite a few times. Contemplating a 1-4 or 1-6 so I'm looking forward to your after action thoughts with that trigger/variable magnification combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks man. Yeah, I managed to score a couple of the USMC marked KAC rears over the course of my enlistment and only one KAC front which is now on my BCM 11.5 SBR. I really didn't want to shell out $200 for a matching front sight on this build and when a local gun shop had a MBUS Pro for $60 I figured i give it a shot and it certainly didn't disappoint. I love the trigger so far, I really think that the addition of the rubber feet on the bottom of the housing is a great way to ensure a tight fit without set screws. I'll post my thoughts when I finally get out to the range.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
    Nice looking build. How do you like the BA Barrel? I'm thinking about doing a lightweight build using their SS Hanson .625 14.5" and would love to hear how you think the quality is. I've read good stuff and their prices are fair, especially since they include a gas block.
    I've got several BA barrels. 18 Performance, 16 Modern (Build for a friend), 14.5 Hanson, 12.5 Modern, and a 10.3 Hanson. I find them to be really good barrels. and I'll tell you of all those my favorite is the 14.5 Hanson. It's really an outstanding barrel especially for the money. Are you prior service?

RTT
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I've got several BA barrels. 18 Performance, 16 Modern (Build for a friend), 14.5 Hanson, 12.5 Modern, and a 10.3 Hanson. I find them to be really good barrels. and I'll tell you of all those my favorite is the 14.5 Hanson. It's really an outstanding barrel especially for the money. Are you prior service?

RTT
    Yeah, I was an 0311 in the Marines for 4 years, got out in November 2014. But all the reviews I've read about BA barrels have been very positive, so I'm confident it'll be a good shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast