Thread: Questions about custom AR build.

Feedback Score

Questions about custom AR build.

Hi this is my first post on this here forum and I hope I am putting this in the right place.

Now the issue at hand is that I'm putting together my AR-15 (Spikes Tactical .22lr), I'm starting off with a .22lr and I plan to progress to a .223 upper later so I can have two guns in one. But I've got some issues now, I haven't gotten the gun yet but I've already ordered a stock separately, it's complicated, you can't export guns with telescopic stocks from the US anymore so I bought one separately and now have it at home, it's a mil-spec MagPul CTR stock with an extra .55" buttpad. I also got an extra long vortex flash hider I will put on. All in the name of increasing OAL. In a regular 5.56 AR this would not be a problem as the barrel does not recess as far as it does on the ST model, it'll look like a 14.5" which is nice but problematic nonetheless

Thats the problem I got you see, the OAL requirement in Finland is 840mm or 33.1 inches, it's measured with the stock fully collapsed. So I already got the stock and I already got the flash hider, but from what I see I am off 0.6 inches from being within the OAL even though I got the extra long buttpad and flash hider. So what can I do?

My first idea was to get a sling mount, an extra thick one like the one from Midwest Industries maybe could work?
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...category_id=97

Googling for answers I just found this which looks interesting:
    http://lgweaponry.com/ad_sheets/carext.htm

It's designed it seems to do exactly what I need, add some length and allow me to keep my carbine stock. But I've never heard of this company before, and I am not sure the solution is sound. So I am turning to this place for some answers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HisDivineShadow View Post
    Hi this is my first post on this here forum and I hope I am putting this in the right place.

Now the issue at hand is that I'm putting together my AR-15 (Spikes Tactical .22lr), I'm starting off with a .22lr and I plan to progress to a .223 upper later so I can have two guns in one. But I've got some issues now, I haven't gotten the gun yet but I've already ordered a stock separately, it's complicated, you can't export guns with telescopic stocks from the US anymore so I bought one separately and now have it at home, it's a mil-spec MagPul CTR stock with an extra .55" buttpad. I also got an extra long vortex flash hider I will put on. All in the name of increasing OAL. In a regular 5.56 AR this would not be a problem as the barrel does not recess as far as it does on the ST model, it'll look like a 14.5" which is nice but problematic nonetheless

Thats the problem I got you see, the OAL requirement in Finland is 840mm or 33.1 inches, it's measured with the stock fully collapsed. So I already got the stock and I already got the flash hider, but from what I see I am off 0.6 inches from being within the OAL even though I got the extra long buttpad and flash hider. So what can I do?

My first idea was to get a sling mount, an extra thick one like the one from Midwest Industries maybe could work?
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...category_id=97

Googling for answers I just found this which looks interesting:
    http://lgweaponry.com/ad_sheets/carext.htm

It's designed it seems to do exactly what I need, add some length and allow me to keep my carbine stock. But I've never heard of this company before, and I am not sure the solution is sound. So I am turning to this place for some answers.
    I've not heard of that company. You could call them or email them and describe your problem to them to see if they would help out.

You could also "pin" the CTR so it won't collapse the whole way down. Pin it so it can only collapse to the first setting.

Noveske 14.5 VTAC KX3

Feedback Score
    That sounds like a good solution, how would I pin the stock so it doesn't fully collapse? Is it just a matter of sticking some JB weld somewhere?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HisDivineShadow View Post
    That sounds like a good solution, how would I pin the stock so it doesn't fully collapse? Is it just a matter of sticking some JB weld somewhere?
    You can do it a couple of ways.

One way is to take the stock off and get a piece of dowel or something that can slide down the inside of the stock. Secure that at the end put the stock back on and now the stock can't fully collapse anymore.

Secure it by anyway you come up with...

You can drill a hole into the stock and put a pin across at the right spot to prevent the stock from collapsing.

You could clamp something to the buffer tube to stop the butt stock from collapsing down all the way too. I guess that was what you were getting at in the pictures.

There are a variety of ways to do it.

Pick or come up with the best solution for your application.

Noveske 14.5 VTAC KX3

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'll look into those solutions.