Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Versions of the G&R/BFG Vickers AK Slings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The BFG Universal loop works well with the side sling mount. You can also remove it and attach the sling right to the loop on side. This configuration is pretty good and allows you to transition and shoot offhand easily.

C4
    I think it is about the only universal solution as well - maybe that's why it is called the "Universal Loop". I was messing around with my Arsenal 105 today - I installed a Vltor extension and a MagPul MOE stock. I attached my Viking Tactical sling to the rear sling loop on the MOE and it was choking me when I attempted to do weak side transitions... I think I'm going to use the QD point on the extension and see if I can continue breathing while doing transitions. I say all that because the extension's QD points are in the same location where the Universal Loop will sit...

Spooky

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    I think it is about the only universal solution as well - maybe that's why it is called the "Universal Loop". I was messing around with my Arsenal 105 today - I installed a Vltor extension and a MagPul MOE stock. I attached my Viking Tactical sling to the rear sling loop on the MOE and it was choking me when I attempted to do weak side transitions... I think I'm going to use the QD point on the extension and see if I can continue breathing while doing transitions. I say all that because the extension's QD points are in the same location where the Universal Loop will sit...

Spooky

Agree. The sling mount points are slings are bad choice as you will just about strangle yourself when doing offhand shooting.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Rob,

I too see what you are saying about having the sling in a different plane.

And I also agree with Grant that the Mash hook appears to be a more robust form of connection.

So I have to wonder to myself if the solution wouldn't be the addition of another link in between the AK mount and the sling hook, to enable the use of the prefered Mash hook in the orientation that Rob is talking about? This would effectively rotate 90 degrees the orientation of the attachment point of the Mash hook, so that the hook body and sling body lay flat against the rifle.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    One thing to think about, most people hear are NOT walking the street of IZ with their weapon slung. 80% of the time the weapon is in your hand. So how "flat" it sits really matters not IMHO.

What does matter though is that when the weapon IS slung, it does not end up in the dirt.

C4

Feedback Score
    Regarding hooks, I'm not personally a fan of them. That said, the MASH seems to be the best that we have located to date. If you prefer other hooks you can get our standard Victory 2 point sling and add the attachment of your choice to the front and rear.

Best,

Ashley

Feedback Score
    Do you have the MASH hooks for sale separately? I might as well try one and see if I'm missing something (besides cutting up perfectly good slings)!

Spooky

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    There's a thread here about connecting a Vickers sling to an AK, and I think that the standard snap hook from an AK sling (or ordered after the fact from DIY Tactical) is a much better option than the mash hook. To quote myself from there:

In other words, you want to end up with this

Military Moron's "gate" clip demo.

http://revver.com/video/925355/hk-snaphook-demo/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_H View Post
    Military Moron's "gate" clip demo.

http://revver.com/video/925355/hk-snaphook-demo/
    I've seen it (who hasn't at this point?)
    Not really very relevant to the AK system though.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not really very relevant to the AK system though.
    it's relevant if you use a HK-style snap hook on the front sling loop of an AK. here's the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l69zIsdHxs
    those spring clip AK hooks can also accidentally release. a MASH hook is much less likely to.
    i do know what you're saying about sling laying flat against the rifle vs. 90° to it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Angry

Not impressed with the ak sling here! The way they have that attached to the rear is stupid. Would have to change it with a hook type. Other than that it's not bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast