Thread: Staking help

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

Staking help

Well I hate to start another thread on castle nut staking, but I have an issue. I have gone through two reciever plates because the punch I am using (Starrett No.264E) is chizzling away the metal rather than indenting it into the recess on the castle nut. This punch and an auto punch were the recommended punches for staking (at least what I have read). Both plates are BCM QD's. I do not believe this issue to be from the plates, but on my end. Is there a better punch or method?

This is how I attempted to stake: I locked the lower in my reaction block; torqued the nut to 40 ft lbs; took the punch and placed it straight above, centered it on the plate and tapped it with a hammer just enough to achieve an indention as a pilot so as to not slip off when doing the final stake; after the pilot I angled the punch slightly and whacked it with a hammer.

Pics of both plates:
    The second plate I attempted to just angle and hit it to see if my original method was the issue, so that is why it looks more mangled.

Attachment 41469Attachment 41470
    Last edited by Endur; 09-14-16 at 19:55.