Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody carrying a Glock 42? What's the current status on these?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Anybody carrying a Glock 42? What's the current status on these?

Hello,

I picked up a like-new Glock 42 in a trade and during my research on it I found that feeding issues were widespread with the early ones and there have been four revisions of the magazine and one of the frame, slide release lever, and trigger mechanism housing. Since most of the information I've been finding about the G42 is from 1 to 2 years ago I'm curious how the G42 is doing now for those of you that have serious trigger time with them.

Mine happens to be dated 2/2014 according to the envelope with the test-fire shell but I have the newer "1"-marked frame marked frame. The slide release lever, TMH, and mags are all the original style. Glock customer service told me they will swap my mags for the current "04" version free of charge, but I would need to ship my G42 to them if I wanted the newer TMH and slide release lever.

I've fired only 40 rounds out of it so far, a mixture of WWB, Winchester PDX1, Hornady Critical Defense, and Fiocchi FMJ. I didn't have any malfunctions, but I won't know if my mags or old revision parts will cause any issues until I've put more rounds down range, so I'm on the fence about getting the revised slide release and TMH installed.

Don't fix what ain't broke? But I also say the parts were revised for a reason and it would be a good idea to have the newer and more reliable parts in a carry gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No idea when mine was made (lost all my boxes during our latest move). Haven't had a single issue with it. If it's 380 ammo it feeds and goes bang. Shoots left, it that's on the loose nut behind the trigger.

If it ain't broke why swap parts. For all you know the new parts may FUBAR your gun. Blast away and get more rounds down range before trying to decide if it needs fixing. 40 rounds isn't much.

Feedback Score
    Because of reported problems on some of the early G42 guns I avoided buying one until late May of this year. Mine has all updated parts and has been perfect in a bit over 300 rounds of mixed range and Gold Dots self defense ammo.

My friend bought one of the early ones and said he was lucky if one round out of a magazine would correctly feed, fire and eject. Most magazines didn't even work correctly once. After a trip back to Glock it has now been 100% reliable.

Since you haven't had problems yet in your very small number of rounds fired I would follow the advice of TAZ. Shoot the crap out of it and see if there are any problems before you start replacing parts on the gun itself . However, I would take advantage of Glock's offer on the magazine trade as that is very simple and doesn't require you sending in the gun.

Good luck with your Glock 42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My frame is marked "2". Anyone know when they changed frames from "1" to "2"?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I suppose mine was an early one and it was the worst experience I have had with a firearm. Lots of FTF and FTE with a good dose of light primer strikes. I dumped it and would never buy another one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm definitely taking Glock up on their mag offer for peace of mind. I'll leave the internal parts of the gun alone until I've been able to test the gun thoroughly.

tonyxcom,
    I guess it goes without saying that you didn't reach out to Glock about your malfunctioning G42.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    No, mine was semi early and had all the revised parts at the time and nobody was reporting that their problems were being resolved by sending it in at that time.

I also had complications because I was in CA and would not be able to get the frame swapped so my best course of action was to dump it. It was a gun I planned to carry and there was just no way I could ever trust it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Picked one up in May as well - couple hundred rounds - zero issues - and shoots great(also left which is on me).

Honestly it conceals very well and is my go to for summer carry, work, or other times that a G19 is hard to conceal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been carrying one for a few months, especially during the hotter days here in LA. Made a few holsters before I found one that worked well. Then I ended up stippling the frame, because the frame would get awfully sweaty when it's 100* outside, so I wanted a little more traction.

I have a handful of mags, some 02's and some 03's. I have just as many 03's that don't lock the slide back as the 02's. I have run at least 50 rounds through each and marked them accordingly.

Last edited by D_M; 09-16-16 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    I've been carrying one for a few months, especially during the hotter days here in LA. Made a few holsters before I found one that worked well. Then I ended up stippling the frame, because the frame would get awfully sweaty when it's 100* outside, so I wanted a little more traction.
    I like the look of that holster...you making/selling still or only for personal use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast