Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saker 5.56k or Specwar 5.56K for dedicated SBR can?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Saker 5.56k or Specwar 5.56K for dedicated SBR can?

Ok guys,

I have my paper work in order for 2 cans that I will be ordering this weekend. One for sure is going to be the Surefire 5.56 RC2 and I'm struggling to decide between the saker and the specwar for the second can. This can will be a dedicated 5.56 can that will get a lot of rounds through it. Im leaning towards the specwar 5.56k due to the price and the fact that I already have some asr mounts on my guns due to my omega I already own. If I understand this right, the saker can now also be mounted on the asr system correct? I'm looking at both of these cans and comparing cost, decibel reduction, durability, and pressure blow back. I would really appreciate any first hand experience with either of them and if the saker is worth the price over the specwar.

This can will not move and will be on an 11.5 in upper. This will get used almost every weekend. I am looking at durability, back pressure, cost, and POI shift. Both seem to be extremely durable, the specwar costs less, and their dB reductions look to be almost identical. The back pressure and POI shift I don't have any information on.

Thanks
    Dan
    Last edited by Furbyballer; 10-11-16 at 07:03.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Can you give a little more detail on if it's going to stay on one gun or be moved around?

What are the use cases for the guns - precision, training, SBR?

What is your main priority that you want from this can purchase?

Is the RC2 is 556 or 762?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Edited original post, but its not going to move around. Going to be placed on an 11.5 in upper and will be shot almost every weekend. The surefire can is also in 5.56. I am looking at a SiCo can because of the muzzle devices I already have.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I chose the specwar K twice. It works well for what you need it for and it seems like most new sico cans are shipping with ASR mounts. When I was shopping I could not see paying for saker k at a near same price point as an Omega.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    They are both tanks. My personal opinions on 556 cans is the round is loud even with the best cans so I generally recommend a shorty like the saker K, AAC Mini, or the Surefire mini/min2. You're going to have to wear hearing protection anyways so you might as well make the gun light and maneuverable especially an SBR. If you want sound reduction throw on the Omega with a 556 end cap.

Based of your criteria above I would also recommend looking at Sig's new cans.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    So I already own an Omega, but many people have stated they think the omegas might not be the best dedicated suppressor for a hard use rifle. The saker is what .5" in shorter but a couple ounces heavier right?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The saker is 20+ oz depending on the mount and the Specwar is 24oz. If you are looking for an end of the world can the saker is probably a better option because of the MAAD mount and you can adapt it to so many different muzzle devices. The Specwar is quieter. Both are tanks.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    The saker is 20+ oz depending on the mount and the Specwar is 24oz. If you are looking for an end of the world can the saker is probably a better option because of the MAAD mount and you can adapt it to so many different muzzle devices. The Specwar is quieter. Both are tanks.
    Yeah, so I am looking specifically at their short k versions and not their full size versions. I am on board with your initial thoughts about suppressing a 5.56. Go short and light if possible.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I have a Saker 762 (with ASR mount) and a Specwar 556K. I realize this isn't the exact comparison you're looking at. The weight and size of the Saker 762 is what convinced me to go with the smaller, lighter can on 5.56 rifles, plus muzzle device compatibility.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, as long as you avoid the Trifecta MAAD that comes on the Saker K. The Saker K is a little shorter and heavier than the Specwar K. As for back pressure, they share somewhat similar baffle designs, so I don't think you'll notice a difference. One other feature on the Saker 556 and Saker K is a special blast baffle Silencerco calls a Hoplon, which is intended to make the can more durable, especially on shorter barrels, and gives the can a shorter barrel rating. This extra baffle takes up some internal volume, which is one of the reasons it meters slightly worse than the Specwar K, although this is pretty much irrelevant in my opinion.

With regards to POI shift, I find both my Saker 762 w/ASR and Specwar K to be reliably repeatable. My Specwar K is dedicated to one host that is shot 100% suppressed, and I always remove the can at the end of each range trip. When I attach the cans I always thread them on firmly and loosen/tighten a few times to make sure they seat cleanly on the engagement surfaces, and I've never had either one get stuck or loosen up during use.

Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    He's looking at the K versions. The Saker K is 14.7 oz with Trifecta MAAD, and the Specwar K is 13.7 oz with ASR. Then add the weight of a muzzle device, which is ~3.9 oz for the ASR flash hider.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks Slippers. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast