Thread: DD Omega vs. Troy DI

Feedback Score

DD Omega vs. Troy DI

I am in the market for a drop in, carbine length rail system and have narrowed it down to the DD Omega and the Troy DI. Being in college money is always a concern, but on the other hand I am a stickler for quality products. So my question is....what do I gain with the Omega over the troy for the extra $100? The ar that will be wearing this is a <100yd range toy/home defense carbine. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Omega is free float and the Troy isn't . Two completely different rail systems. So for the $100 extra, you get a FF rail that's user installed w/o tools.
    We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

-Archilochus

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As stated the Troy DI isn't FF'd. Troy makes a FF rail but it requires that you cut off your delta ring, weld spring and snap ring. The DD Omega doesn't require this. The DD is a little small if size matters. Both are excellent rails, I prefer the Omega for size, simplicity and easy DIY install.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The QD socket on the DD Omega is travel limited, which I like. I am not sure if the Troy's is or not.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rborst View Post
    ....what do I gain with the Omega over the troy for the extra $100?

You gain a Free Floating rail that won't shift or wobble. If thats not a concern, go the cheaper route.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    RBORST, Do you understand about a FREE FLOATED barrel and accuracy?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    RBORST, Do you understand about a FREE FLOATED barrel and accuracy?
    Yes, I understand the Omega is free floated and the troy is not. I did not mention it in the original post as I assumed that the benefits of a free float would be negligible on a fighting carbine. Am I wrong?

Feedback Score
    The Omega is an ingenious design.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rborst View Post
    Yes, I understand the Omega is free floated and the troy is not. I did not mention it in the original post as I assumed that the benefits of a free float would be negligible on a fighting carbine. Am I wrong?
    Not at all. I just was making sure you knew what it meant.
    It's all about what will work for you.

I don't have either, but I like the looks of how the Omega's top rail can mate up with the uppers flat top rail, and I wouldn't have to cut anything off my carbine. And I never know what I am going to get into down the road, so I am waiting and saving for the FF in case I want to shoot more accurately. I keep relearning the "Do it right the first time" thing.