Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've been training for a while, now I am ready to get good. Help.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've been training for a while, now I am ready to get good. Help.

I have attended a number or courses over the last five years. I have trained with:

James Yeager (first course I ever took) 3 courses
    Travis Haley 3 courses
    Chris Costa 8 courses
    Tiger McKee at Shootrite One week of one on one training
    Front Site (second courses I ever took) 2 courses
    Multiple courses taught by Gunsite instructors on their off time

They have been good and I have learned the basics of reloads, malfunctions etc. I am not as fast and as accurate as I want to be (is anyone?) In those courses it seems as though most of the programs revolve around weapon manipulation drills etc. They also seem to have a lot of shooters, 20 or so with two instructors. I want focused help with grip, trigger press, stance, follow through etc. The building blocks of shooting. Who are the best instructors for watching and fixing my basic mechanics so I can get to the next level. I live in Idaho, so within driving distance is a bonus but I don't mind flying.

Also, I have a range in my backyard that I can get out to 250 yards on. I want to start a dry fire program as well. Any suggestions on this?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Why is there a need to complicate the simplest tools? It's a grenade, it goes boom.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Why is there a need to complicate the simplest tools? It's a grenade, it goes boom.
    Was this meant for the GD thread on grenades?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Gah, dammit. Tapatalk got me

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Oh good. I thought you were saying that I needed to not make shooting complicated.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a convert View Post
    Oh good. I thought you were saying that I needed to not make shooting complicated.
    My bad

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They have been good and I have learned the basics of reloads, malfunctions etc. I am not as fast and as accurate as I want to be (is anyone?)

In those courses it seems as though most of the programs revolve around weapon manipulation drills etc. They also seem to have a lot of shooters, 20 or so with two instructors.

I want focused help with grip, trigger press, stance, follow through etc. The building blocks of shooting. Who are the best instructors for watching and fixing my basic mechanics so I can get to the next level. I live in Idaho, so within driving distance is a bonus but I don't mind flying.

Also, I have a range in my backyard that I can get out to 250 yards on. I want to start a dry fire program as well. Any suggestions on this?
    I don't remember where I heard this first, but it is true in almost everything - 'fast follows form.'

I want focused help with grip, trigger press, stance, follow through etc. Those are basics, you might want to give someone a try who uses video - http://sobtactical.com/gunfighter-u.html - and see if that helps before you take to the road.

The thing is, an instructor can only explain to you what you are doing incorrectly, offer suggestions for improvement and monitor you as you apply the suggestions, it is then up to you to apply the lessons. Small doses of instruction with ample time for focused practice gets good results with most folks. In that respect, for most folks, the 'high round count training class' isn't the best venue to learn basic skills.

JMO

Feedback Score
    I have attended a number or courses over the last five years. I have trained with:

James Yeager (first course I ever took) 3 courses
    Travis Haley 3 courses
    Chris Costa 8 courses
    Tiger McKee at Shootrite One week of one on one training
    Front Site (second courses I ever took) 2 courses
    Multiple courses taught by Gunsite instructors on their off time

They have been good and I have learned the basics of reloads, malfunctions etc. I am not as fast and as accurate as I want to be (is anyone?) In those courses it seems as though most of the programs revolve around weapon manipulation drills etc. They also seem to have a lot of shooters, 20 or so with two instructors. I want focused help with grip, trigger press, stance, follow through etc. The building blocks of shooting. Who are the best instructors for watching and fixing my basic mechanics so I can get to the next level. I live in Idaho, so within driving distance is a bonus but I don't mind flying.

Taking classes is great and all, but you have to actually practice, too; I've taken my fair share of classes, and it's certainly an issue for some students, where they'll take multiple classes per year, but fail to put forth much practice outside of the classes. Be consistent in practicing, and try to have a set of goals in mind or a practice routine to follow each time you go shooting.

Competitive shooting can also be extremely helpful, as long as you're mindful of your mechanics; there will most likely be higher level shooters that would be happy to give you tips and pointers, too. It's also an excellent place to test new techniques and to track your performance.

There are also many instructors that offer private courses, though they tend to be from a competition background; Robert Vogel, Manny Bragg, and Rob Leatham all offer private, 1 on 1 courses, to name a few, though I do not know their pricing.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Double post.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It sounds like you want a one on one, hands on, coach who understands the intricacies of firearm manipulation, such as changes in grip pressure, indexing the trigger finger, etc.. I am interested in who will be recommended.
    Train 2 Win

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast