Thread: Optic Dilema

Feedback Score

Optic Dilema

I have a new PWS MK116 Mod1 AR and am trying to figure out what optic I would like on it. The rifle will be for the range for some close up shots to some mid range distance shooting. I've been looking at the Aimpoint Pro or Trijicon MRO for close applications but also want something like a Vortex 1-4 or 1-6 for some midrange targeting. I would rather not get a red dot with a magnifier because of the added weight. Also I do have a bit of an astigmatism and have heard Prism Sights work well with people that have an astigmatism. Would like to stay in the $500.00 ballpark so an Acog or Elcan are out the window. I would basically want something that I could shoot from 4ft to 400yds+. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I sold my pst not long ago. Be sure to look thru them to see how big the reticle is. I found it to be on the small side, spending more time trying to see the hash marks for 500 yard shots. Its hard to have a do all optic. I would rather get a 4x16 with a quick detach mount than another 1x6.

I also have an astigmatism. If I look thru a dot sight off the gun just holding it up, I get a slash. When its mounted on a rifle it turns back into a dot.

If you learn holdovers, having a scope is not necessary. If I had to do it over again, I would get an acog off the EE here. All my guns have dots on them currently, no need for a scope....thats bolt action territory. I refuse to shoot groups at 300 yards with an AR.

More importantly...what kind of shooting are you going to be doing ?Range only ? or range + varmints ??? I do feel an acog would suit you better. I have not found a do all optic yet, but the acog will be the best of both I think.

Find a friend who has a short dot and borrow it.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    The Pro and the MRO are both great cost effective options for close to mid range applications.. I use all my red dots accurately out to 200 (longest range I regularly have access to)

Vortex viper pst 1-4 is a pretty good LPV optic and usable as a close range optic. If you look around you can find them new with a mount in the $500-600 range or even lower if you check in the EE from time to time.

FWIW an Aimpoint PRO with an Eotech G33 magnifier actually weighs about the same as the vortex 1-4 in the mount but you can take the magnifier off when you don't want to shoot with it. The only thing is that setup would run you about $800-900.

If you can you should get to a gun store that has some variety in optics and take a look through some of them to see how they actually look to you.
    Last edited by bighawk; 09-19-16 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    Trijicon TR24 You can get them in the $700 range now that the TR25 has hit the market. I run one on my 3 each of my 3 gun rifles and love them. I have the german crosshairs on my 18 inch noveske barreled gun and the green triangle on my 14.5 carbine. The triangle is my favorite because of the speed, the german gives me more precision. I've hit jack rabbits at 300 yds with the german crosshairs. The accupower is also another option they come in a little cheaper because they're battery powered as opposed to the tritium of the accupoints.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...Build-AR-Forum

To all concerned.

The custom build area is a place to show off/discuss and ask questions and get feedback about your completed custom build (this means a completed AR that is functional and already completed). If you are going to post pictures of your build, please post a complete picture not just your parts, partial lowers, etc....

Also, buying an upper separate and then a lower and throwing them together does not constitute a custom build. It would be nice if you took time to explain how you came to your decision and explain your set up. Thanks.

If you do not follow the guidelines and your post disappears it's probably because it was moved to the trash or deleted.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com