Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are characteristics of a Quality AR?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Welcome to the forum. As you may have seen, brevity and cohesive thoughts are your friend. You will find a wealth of information here...the SMEs are just amazing.

First, don't let anyone give you a ration of crap for owning a Del-Ton. Even a Hi Point can serve a purpose. Shoot it, learn it, and report back with feedback. For plinking and hunting it may be all you need. But if you stick around here long enough you will end up with a BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense.....

Learn to use the 'search' function, and read the stickies....between the two you should find all of your answers. In the meantime, dudes will post here and give you feedback.

Hope you get what you are looking for!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Giving A Man A Fish

Actually, two or three fishes. Find a Colt 5 coil "copper" extractor spring to replace the extractor spring your bolt came with. Delton springs are not of the best quality and when it starts to fail, the rifle will give you fits. The first symptom of a failing extractor spring will be a malfunction consisting of an empty case and a live case jammed in the action. Change your extractor spring now.

Next fish. Your Delton likely has what is called a carbine buffer. You can tell because the face of it will be blank, or just haveteh makers logo on it. If it is not stamped with an "H" or an "H2", replace it with one that does. Considering Delton is well known for using barrels with overly large gas ports, just get the H2 buffer.

Another fish. Springs on any self loading rifle are critical. Seems some of the "economy model" AR makers didn't get the notice. Either find a Colt action spring when ordering your Colt extractor spring, or get a Sprinco action spring. I'm not certain, but I think you want the Sprinco blue carbine spring. Make sure your replacement action spring is a carbine action spring, not a rifle action spring. They are different. (Unless your AR uses a rifle receiver extension. Then, you want to use a rifle buffer and a rifle action spring. If fitted with a rifle RE, my advice about the buffer does not apply. If your AR has an adjustable stock, it uses a carbine RE.)

One last fish. Go shoot your rifle. A lot. Nothing will tell you more about what you need and want for your rifle, handgun or shotgun than actually using it. This will lead you to learning how to fish.

Learning How To Fish

You're going to have to get educated on what works and what doesn't, what you need, what you want and what is nothing more than "nice to have". You're going to have to man up and do your own research. Right now, it seems overwhelming because you're at the "I don't know what I don't know" stage". Going out and shooting your rifle will give you a starting point and focus your inquiries. We can help, but you must do the grunt work for yourself.

One last thing- Not replacing the springs and buffer is a waste of time. If you don't, they will cause you problems. You can get the Colt springs from Specialized Armaments
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-21-16 at 12:05.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not being rude, but this thread seems like it fits you perfectly. The best thing you can do is read the stickies like suggested, there is a ton of information there.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...w-better!-quot

Feedback Score
    My first rifle was a bushmaster cause I thought it was the best. Now I buy only the best. Why? The bushmaster was an aweful gun to shoot. It always went bang but it was overgassed. All your questions are in stickies or easily searched. Read read read

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12