Thread: Build or buy 9mm ar

Feedback Score

Build or buy 9mm ar

Next project is a 9mm ar15. What's the thought's about buying one ready made or building one? Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    Do you want a pistol or carbine length? I don't have an opinion really. You could buy and upper and lower from palmetto state armory or buy one. Major difference is factory warranty on a complete rifle. Unless you are getting an AR 15 variant for similar controls, ergos, etc. have you looked in the cz scorpion or sig mpx carbine rifles? Those could be a viable option, as well as, beretta cx4 storm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexGuy View Post
    Next project is a 9mm ar15. What's the thought's about buying one ready made or building one? Thanks in advance
    I have built and bought. At this present world of low price points, just buy. I do not see any savings and likely additional cost in tools to building. Add in some value for your time... May all be different in 60 days, but buy today.

Feedback Score
    Well I have one of each !!! Luv them both ... Got a Scorpion Evo Carbine and an AR 9 pistol built ...

Ferdi
    Las Vegas, NV USA
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'm a big fan of 9mm carbines; Mostly because they're cheap and fun to shoot. I had high hopes for the MPX when it came out, but only just bought one this past weekend. You see, if you didn't already know, the first incarnation of the mpx had proprietary rail attachment points and didn't accept the other calibers.

The 2nd gen has a key mod handguard and DOES accept barrels for .40 and 357 sig. Anyway, I finally pulled the trigger and bought one in pistol version to be SBR'd.

The MPX has AR style FCG.

Other options are build on a current AR & JustRite Carbines (glock mags). If you want to swing away from the AR, Zenith makes one hell of a MP5 clone and CZ has the Scorpion. For years my 9mm Carbine has been a vector Uzi. I can't wait to get the paperwork back for the MPX.

I never owned a dedicated 9mm AR, but some can be finicky. A good friend owned an Olympic and it was a crap shoot as to whether it would even fire. There are better options nowadays, though.

I very nearly purchased a Just Rite... Something, possibly potential lack of parts, turned me off. That said, I've heard good things about them.

I know this didn't help much, but hopefully it gave you a couple ideas to build from. Cheers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help and input. I'll research what y'all have suggested and start saving for Christmas. I'm going to buy/build one for my son and myself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexGuy View Post
    Thanks for the help and input. I'll research what y'all have suggested and start saving for Christmas. I'm going to buy/build one for my son and myself.
    I don't know what your budget is like, but the best bargains can be had on the Just Rites. They're built well, accept Glock mags, and have a good reputation (6-700ish). If I remember correctly, there are a couple of proprietary parts that "scared" me away.. I use the term scared loosely as I'm not really scared of that. I just wanted to wait on the mpx.

The CZ scorpion is another bargain at around 800ish. The guys who own them highly recommend them and they feel great in your hand.

I honestly cannot recommend the mpx since I haven't fired it, but if it does what it is supposed to do, it should be a keeper. A lot of guys had high expectations for this gun, including me. I hope it lives up to the hype.

You can pick the 16" mpx up for around $1599, possibly cheaper online, and the 8" pistol for around $1200. There's a 1913 rail on the back for a future stock should you SBR it.

If you go the AR route, I'd look at getting the kit before the election. I'm 110% positive it will be madness in little over a month. If HC is elected, it will be mass panic buying. Best of luck

Feedback Score
    For me the answer is build. But I wanted an SBR and a barrel with 1/2x28 threads, so My options were limited. I chose touse a lower I already had so there was no wait on the ATF. I used a Rock River mag block, and built the upper BA 11" barrel, NFA bolt, Anderson slick side upper and KAK flash hider that I can switch out with a silencer.

It runs absolutely flawlessly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    I'm building, mostly because I wanted a particular rail. Price was a wash...

Feedback Score
    Build it. Get a dedicated lower and don't go cheap on the barrel and especially the bolt. Most of the issues you hear are usually traced back to the barrel feed cone and the bolt. With no set standards for AR9, my advice is to buy parts for a manufacturer that actually produces a complete upper. Colt, CMMG, Rock River Arms, and a few others which I can't recall. I would recommend buying the bolt and barrel from the same company as well. I built 2 Colt pattern ARs and they are dead nuts reliable. Runs dirty as hell, but reliable. My next build is a Glock pattern lower.