Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TALK ME OUT OF A ZT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

TALK ME OUT OF A ZT

I have owned a 301, 350, and I currently carry a 900. But they all pale in comparison to this: http://eepurl.com/cgLvgP

My savings account would never forgive me. But I figure it's better to do something stupid like this now when I'm still young and don't have many bills yet. I need reasons to not buy it. It's everything I want in a high-end knife. Please discourage me before it's too late!!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have owned a few expensive knives in the past. I always end up selling them and buying guns. The problem with a $400 knife is that its too expensive to use. Add a few dollars to your knife budget and buy a Glock

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)

TALK ME OUT OF A ZT

I don't have that problem with it. I always figured it's more like it's too expensive not to use. Otherwise wtf did you spend the money for. My EDC knives alternate between $200, $350 and $800 and I use all of them then same.

It's not like it's going to break.

However, for $400 I would like into something more like a Chris Reeve Sebenza, a Gerry McGinnis Proline or a Les George VECP / Talos.

For $150-250, you can't beat the fit/finish/construction on a ZT while staying US Made, but $400 opens up a lot of options into customs/semi customs.

For not much more you could even get an actual Hinderer XM or Eclipse instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstalford View Post

For not much more you could even get an actual Hinderer XM or Eclipse instead.

This. And a Hinderer will keep it's resale value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am going to say to each their own. If it appeals to you, it does nothing for me, then go for it. I carry, and have carried, an Emerson of one sort or another for the better part of the last 10 or 12 years. They aren't cheap, and I use, and indeed abuse them as the tool that they are. They show wear from daily carry, beating on, and use. I also currently EDC a light that costs more than my current EDC Emerson cost me by a faction of almost twice. I mean, granted I bought it used for a $100, but between my knife and light I have more invested than many do in their EDC guns!
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Well the limited ZT like that often sell for 1.5-2x msrp but it's hit or miss. Still prefer the real thing at that price.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    This isn't exactly true anymore. The Hinderer knives were all the rave when they first came out. Production was low and demand was high which created a huge hype around them and drove pricing up. After a while people started to not only figure out that these knives have quite a few flaws (flipper that doesn't flip, etc) but Rick ramped up production and now the prices have dropped significantly. You can easily find a like new XM18 now for right around $300 which these same knives were selling for $500 a year ago.

Now on the ZT stuff. The limited edition models will hold their value better than a basic production model. I agree that your run of the mill regular production ZT will no doubt drop like a rock once it's being used. But with these special runs they seem to hold quite well. Especially when they first come out the prices on the knife forum exchanges will be above the retail prices new.

ZT makes great knives. However I will also second what the poster above says in that when you get to that $400 price range there is a whole other world that opens up to you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you can manage to actually get one, then it's worth it. The limited edition ZT's usually sell out in minutes. They increase in value, unlike a Hinderer XM-18 or XM-24. Buy what you like and use it. The last folder that I bought was a Strider SJ-75s. I had always wanted one and finally got a decent deal. I used and carried it for a month, decided it wasn't for me, and sold it for what I paid for it. I had always said I loved the design until I used it, then I realized it was too small for me. I would have never known that unless I bought it, like I did. Don't let other folks tell you what to do.

"Don't regret anything. At one time, it was exactly what you wanted."

Feedback Score
    For that money I'm in the sebenza camp also.

I don't see the value in the colored fasteners for the price. The wharncliffe blade is a limiter also.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree with what most people have said. The LE models that ZT sells increase in value or at the minimum hold them - until you use them of course. I have a couple - a ZT0560CBCF and a ZT0777BLK. The problem is of course getting one, like DM posted, they will be sold out quickly.

I say go for it if it makes you happy. Why not? If you don't like it, you can sell it off for at least what you got it for. No harm, no foul. Good luck at the Checkout Cart war that you will undoubtedly get into when it is released.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast