Thread: The non tactical BOB

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The non tactical BOB

That I never found. I looked for a non tactical BOB type bag and just never found anything that fit the bill. I also felt the materials used in many of them, although very light, seemed like pointy things found in a BOB would possibly pop through that material if handled roughly. Most seem to have one large caverness storage space with minimal additional pockets. Finally, anything that remotely looked like it might work cost more than I wanted to spend frankly. I followed the threads on non tactical looking BOB bags and didn't get the warm and fizzy when I checked them out for one reason or another.

I ended up with a Condor 3 Day Assault Pack in tan, which yes, is tacticool, but not as bad as some, but is a well made and designed bag, a great price, just the right pockets etc I wanted, and holds what I wanted with a little room to spare. If you don't care if it's on the tacticool side looks wise, this seems an excellent choice as a BOB for a few days survival, especially for the $, which was $80 on Amazon.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I've been thinking more about BOB especially with what's going on in my city the past few days. For me with kids I have to have a lot packed and ready to go. My current BOB is a Kifaru Xing. I've been looking at getting a non tactical Osprey Atmos AG for the capacity and comfort. I'd like a way to carry a rifle and ammo in a non tactical bag. Options are limited.

Feedback Score

The non tactical BOB

I carry a non discript, black laptop back pack made by High Sierra. Like $45 at a sporting goods chain. It's heavily made and carries a 5 yr warranty against defect. No molle or "tacticool". I have bags that are, but the are reserved for hunting or camping purposes. As a father, a backpack is an indispensable tool and it fits my daily work life as well. What I carry varies, but it has tons of pockets and space for lots of gear. My job takes me to some crappy areas and I really never know where I'm headed day to day. While I'm not LEO or Military, I feel much more secure having a few items to help insure my safety or just to get me out of a bind if needed. Although I've never tried it, I have recently though that the laptop pouch might be a good place to carry a plate. It might be too heavy. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cdclpc; 09-22-16 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    Just to add, I carry a Maxpedition briefcase, http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Briefcases-c77.htm. I work in a city and it actually blends in not badly. I have other packs, Drago 3 day assault pack, doubling as agym bag, which I could easily transfer everything to in 5 minutes if needed. If you are really interested in flying below the "tactical" radar you might take a look at Timbuktu. Basically you go online and build a custom messenger bag to your specs. Depending on your situation might work.
    Last edited by City Rat; 09-23-16 at 16:10. Reason: Hate auto correct

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Condor products are to tactical gear as DPMS is to ARs.

Several times a year, usually around holidays LBT has huge sales. Their US made 3 Day Assault Packs retail for $250, I've have picked up three of them for $89 a pop on sale over the years. They offer their packs slick or with MOLLE webbing and in colors like Wolf Gray, MAS Gray, and Desert Sand.

http://lbtinc.com/1476anm

Amron has an exclusive with Kelty on their MAP 3500 3 Day Assault Packs, They retail for $150 but I got mine on sale for $75, sign up for their newsletter. They come slick in colors like Indigo Blue, Smoke Grey, Desert Tan, Coyote Brown, and Foliage Green.

http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-map-3...ault-pack.html

From time to time you can find screaming deals on the Eagle Industries A-III assault packs in Desert Tan, Ranger Green, OD, etc. SKD makes and sells custom straps for these as well. I've picked up several for $89 on sale at various online vendors. SKD and OP Tactical both sale the ALS frame sheet for the Eagle assault packs.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use a two tier system that travels easily my soft side briefcase is 511 and it carries the regular briefcase stuff +. + means a handgun and three magazines, a IFAK and what essentially are some snacks.
    In my vehicle is a simple ALICE with no frame that holds a box of loose ammo, a change of clothes and shoes and more food. I also have a much better FAK and a blanket that I use as a rear seat cover when the dog wants to go for a ride. Some of this stuff will get changed out seasonally.
    At worst case, I'm a two hour walk from work to home, most of that is on a road or trail near the road, so most of my stuff is built directly toward just getting back to the house, it doesn't have to be very complex.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Condor products are to tactical gear as DPMS is to ARs.

Several times a year, usually around holidays LBT has huge sales. Their US made 3 Day Assault Packs retail for $250, I've have picked up three of them for $89 a pop on sale over the years. They offer their packs slick or with MOLLE webbing and in colors like Wolf Gray, MAS Gray, and Desert Sand.

http://lbtinc.com/1476anm

Amron has an exclusive with Kelty on their MAP 3500 3 Day Assault Packs, They retail for $150 but I got mine on sale for $75, sign up for their newsletter. They come slick in colors like Indigo Blue, Smoke Grey, Desert Tan, Coyote Brown, and Foliage Green.

http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-map-3...ault-pack.html

From time to time you can find screaming deals on the Eagle Industries A-III assault packs in Desert Tan, Ranger Green, OD, etc. SKD makes and sells custom straps for these as well. I've picked up several for $89 on sale at various online vendors. SKD and OP Tactical both sale the ALS frame sheet for the Eagle assault packs.
    I can see that. For the $, seems a good bag for my uses. I have no doubt there's better. The Kelty looks like a solid choice.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    The Kelty looks like a solid choice.
    The MAP 3500 is a solid pack. I have carried one quite a bit, and it has held up well. It covers all of the criteria that you listed. It is made of lightweight yet durable material, non tactical appearance, additional pockets, and the padding makes it very comfortable to carry.

I don't think that you would regret replacing your Condor pack with it, especially if you ever had to use it.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are tons of options out there in terms of quality outdoor / hiking / travels bags that you could use if you're looking for something "non-tactical." Don't constrain yourself to brands like Kirafu that also make tactical bags. I used this Jack Wolfskin pack on my last deployment to a country where we were required to wear civilian clothes and maintain a low profile in a major capital city:

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Wolfskin...00PIW8SPO?th=1

It's fairly compact but had enough room for me to carry a first aid kit, MRE and energy bars, two large bottles of water, spare socks, T-shirt, and underwear, headlamp, multi tool, small GPS, phone charger, etc., and the outside front pockets provided space to organize my passport, emergency cash, map, and other items. The side pockets could also be used for small water bottles (they each fit a 16 oz coffee travel mug). The separate laptop pocket can be used to store a holstered pistol, spare mags, and other things that you might want to have quick access to without having to dig for them. It's lightweight and comfortable, and it's made well enough that I haven't had any issues with it. It doubled as my carry on bag for several flights through the Middle East, and I continued to use it for commuting once I returned to CONUS, still keeping the first aid kit and bottled water with me. It's still my go-to bag for day trips on the car, but I've been a little lazy and need to restock it. It has served me well as BOB in a pretty hazardous place, and I'll continue to count on it.

Dave

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I actually just ordered another kelty pack. I have a black one and ordered a grey. Excellent packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk