Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proper Adhesive for Set Screw (Gas block)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Proper Adhesive for Set Screw (Gas block)

The gas block will ALSO be pinned, but the set screw is something I'd prefer be done "right", as well. I have read everything from Rocksett to Resbond 907TS to Loctite 620 for this. Also, what torque value should be used? I am looking for data from proven formulas like BCM, LaRue's set-screw blocks, etc. vs. "Well, I tried this in my garage and it has worked so far", as the latter could cover a LOT of ground and is likely subject to small sample size.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Have you thought about staking? I've seen it done and it works.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Have you thought about staking? I've seen it done and it works.
    How would you stake the set screw, presuming it is below the surface of the block, or above it significantly?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LaRue gas blocks are torqued to 50 in lbs per the instructions. The product they send for thread locker is Red, but I can't say what it is because it's in an unmarked tube.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Loctite 271 or 263. As far as I know not everyone adheres to a torque for gas block screws. I use the old German method of Guten Tight and it has yet to fail.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadog View Post
    LaRue gas blocks are torqued to 50 in lbs per the instructions. The product they send for thread locker is Red, but I can't say what it is because it's in an unmarked tube.
    That sounds like a LOT! What size screw are they using?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    After much agonizing, I settled on Loctite 2422.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Loctite 271 or 263. As far as I know not everyone adheres to a torque for gas block screws. I use the old German method of Guten Tight and it has yet to fail.
    I have read 18 in-lb, and now I have read 50 in-lb. I know Guten Tight is a solid plan usually, but I am curious about other "TDP" parameters for it from various companies, as well.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I use 15 in-lb and blue, no issues. I did one for Dinger and also staked the set screws. All you do is on one side, have a pointed center punch and be approx 1/16" away from the edge and stake it. The screw is normally flush with the block surface and you can see the material move into it.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry. It is 40 in lbs. Takes a t10 torx bit.
    Last edited by Peadog; 09-23-16 at 06:09. Reason: Torx

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast