Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BCM 11.5 w/A5H4 won't lock back or cycle unsupressed.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    All of this has been covered.

It's an A5H4.

My first post told him to drop down to A5H3.
    This! Why is this thread this long? Drop to a lighter buffer as recommended at the very beginning and report back.
    "When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses not zebras"

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Please refrain from offering technical advice if you don't understand the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
    I would also just get a BCM low profile gas block and instal it. They are only about $50 and it will make the entire setup more clean rather than having a chopped down sight post/gas block. Then when you have the rail off you can clean everything up and make sure the gas system is all installed correctly. That is too nice of a setup to have all chopped up and rigged together. Do it the right way my friend.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Please refrain from offering technical advice if you don't understand the issue.
    Truth.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Truth.
    Way to add some substance. Listen, I don't know everything and don't claim to. But I also build my guns piece by piece with high end products and try to learn and contribute what I've learned as I go. I was only trying to help with my comment so go easy on me here guys. At least I try and at least I do make the effort to actually run good equipment and actually build my rifles instead of just buying cheap crap. From my experience I've had great luck and solid running guns with the setup I suggested. So once again I was only trying to help. I do understand how the gas system works on an AR15 and know it can only be one of a few things so I tried to throw in a different suggestion for the OP. I guess I should've just not got involved and kept my mouth shut. It seems as though this forum has a tight group of people and if you aren't a part of that group then you're treated like garbage. Once again I'm sorry if I tried to contribute and will just sit back and stay out of discussions from now on.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    It seems as though this forum has a tight group of people and if you aren't a part of that group then you're treated like garbage. Once again I'm sorry if I tried to contribute and will just sit back and stay out of discussions from now on.
    I don't think that's the case at all. You just gave bad advise about ditching a cut down fsb which is the strongest option. If finished well can not only be supper strong but also aesthetically pleasing. If you didn't know that it's totally cool and just say that, but don't blame it on members here that know what they are talking about and say they are tight clique that don't like newcomers.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I don't think that's the case at all. You just gave bad advise about ditching a cut down fsb which is the strongest option. If finished well can not only be supper strong but also aesthetically pleasing. If you didn't know that it's totally cool and just say that, but don't blame it on members here that know what they are talking about and say they are tight clique that don't like newcomers.
    Fair enough. To be honest I didnt know that but it makes sense. That said the ones I've seen have been finished very poorly and looked awful so I was turned off by that setup, and a properly installed low profile gas block should be a solid setup as well. In this case if the op is having issues with the gas system why couldn't there be an issue with the chopped down block though. Can't that have leaking issues that would cause the rifle not to cycle correctly? I would think that when chopping the sight post/gas block down something could've been compromised that could've caused the issue. That's where my thinking was. Regardless I will admit I was wrong but I also feel like I was immeadietly ganged up on instead of just letting me know that my advice wasn't great. People are quick to jump down people's throats here instead of trying to help educate them a lot of the time. In this case I will say I was wrong and let's move on please. No need to keep trying to make me feel like an asshole for trying to help someone.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Fair enough. To be honest I didnt know that but it makes sense. That said the ones I've seen have been finished very poorly and looked awful so I was turned off by that setup, and a properly installed low profile gas block should be a solid setup as well. In this case if the op is having issues with the gas system why couldn't there be an issue with the chopped down block though. Can't that have leaking issues that would cause the rifle not to cycle correctly? I would think that when chopping the sight post/gas block down something could've been compromised that could've caused the issue.
    In most cases, once a FSB has been installed on a barrel, keeping it (in some form) is almost always the best option.

Yes, it's possible to have issues with a FSB, however they are pretty rare.

In this case, any issues were subsequently ruled out when the OP checked for and found no signs of excess leakage around the FSB.

That's where my thinking was. Regardless I will admit I was wrong but I also feel like I was immediately ganged up on instead of just letting me know that my advice wasn't great. People are quick to jump down people's throats here instead of trying to help educate them a lot of the time. In this case I will say I was wrong and let's move on please. No need to keep trying to make me feel like an asshole for trying to help someone.
    I can see how it could be taken that way.

IMO, the reaction wasn't personal, but just a concerted effort to stamp out mis-information / bad advise, rather than allow the destructive echo chamber effect that is all too common on other forums and the interwebs in general.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    In most cases, once a FSB has been installed on a barrel, keeping it (in some form) is almost always the best option.

Yes, it's possible to have issues with a FSB, however they are pretty rare.

In this case, any issues were subsequently ruled out when the OP checked for and found no signs of excess leakage around the FSB.

I can see how it could be taken that way.

IMO, the reaction wasn't personal, but just a concerted effort to stamp out mis-information / bad advise, rather than allow the destructive echo chamber effect that is all too common on other forums and the interwebs in general.
    This.

I know I wasn't trying to belittle anyone, but bad advise is just bad advice. Like Clint said, once a FSB is on a barrel, it only makes sense to keep it, now if there was never a FSB on the barrel, a low profile gas block with a properly dimpled barrel would be a good idea. This was not the case. I apologize if I came off like a dick.

You also rubbed people the wrong way with the ammo comment. M193 and M855 are by no means "premium" ammo.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter37 View Post
    This.

I know I wasn't trying to belittle anyone, but bad advise is just bad advice. Like Clint said, once a FSB is on a barrel, it only makes sense to keep it, now if there was never a FSB on the barrel, a low profile gas block with a properly dimpled barrel would be a good idea. This was not the case. I apologize if I came off like a dick.

You also rubbed people the wrong way with the ammo comment. M193 and M855 are by no means "premium" ammo.
    If you go back and reread my ammo comment I simply was replying to a poster telling the OP to use some good ammo. At that time I was stating that a healthy gun should be able to chew up and spit out any kind of ammo, which I still believe is true. But if it came across the wrong way my apologies.

At any rate I learned something here today and am willing to admit I was wrong. However do know that it was me trying to help and not trying to misguide anyone. I really do enjoy my time on this forum and would like to move forward as friends with all of you. In the future if I, or anyone else, gives bad info maybe we all should learn to think about our responses before we post. It's easy to get keyboard muscles and say things we wouldn't normally say in person to someone. Thanks to all for getting me educated on this part of the platform. I guess we can always learn something no matter how smart we think we are.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    If you go back and reread my ammo comment I simply was replying to a poster telling the OP to use some good ammo. At that time I was stating that a healthy gun should be able to chew up and spit out any kind of ammo, which I still believe is true. But if it came across the wrong way my apologies.

At any rate I learned something here today and am willing to admit I was wrong. However do know that it was me trying to help and not trying to misguide anyone. I really do enjoy my time on this forum and would like to move forward as friends with all of you. In the future if I, or anyone else, gives bad info maybe we all should learn to think about our responses before we post. It's easy to get keyboard muscles and say things we wouldn't normally say in person to someone. Thanks to all for getting me educated on this part of the platform. I guess we can always learn something no matter how smart we think we are.
    No issue man, don't sweat it. Clint is spot on about it being a concerted effort to stamp out misinformation / bad advice. Sometime there is a lot of random info in these "help me" threads and often times when the threads get long people crash in and don't read any of the follow up info from the OP or the advice already given (not saying this is what you were doing) and a lot of bad advice is given. If someone is really new and doesn't know a lot about ARs this can lead them on a wild goose chase about where to start. This leads to a lot of wasted time and worst case scenario wasted money.

There are enough gunsmith and armorers on here that these "problem with my gun" threads get straightened out quickly. Very often on other forums you will see "help me" threads that the advice given is a nightmare and there is very little self moderating which in my opinion only hurts the person with the problem.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast