Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Durable are Fiber Optic Sights?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How Durable are Fiber Optic Sights?

Basically what the title says, but more specifically, in the role of iron sights on pistols. They do their job well, but in a hard-use environment - say, thousands of rounds in less-than-ideal conditions and "reasonable abuse" - how well do they hold up? Is there a reason they're primarily seen on competition guns only?
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Don't take this the wrong way, but they're used in competition because they work well.

Worst case the rod breaks and falls out. You're still left with a functional iron "see through" sight. I lost a fiber in the middle of a USPSA stage and while I certainly noticed it was gone it didn't make major difference completing the stage. I replaced it in a few minutes after that stage and finished the match.

I change mine out when ever it starts to get dim and worn from muzzle blast.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Fiber optic rods take no time to change. Once they start feeling loose in the sight, just swap them.

If they fall out, you still have a steel front sight. I've got probably 15k through two different 10-8 fiber optic sights (.100" front fiber optic, black rear), and never had one fall out. I've dropped my guns, lots of holster work, and a few replacements as they loosened, but never had a rod fall out. I've shot them without the rod a few times, and it doesn't honestly make a big difference in usability. Just feels like having a black front sight.

They're my go-to's.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    How are they in low light or use with a mounted light?

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    They are almost black in the dark. They pick up very little light. Same with the weapon light. They don't pick up a ton of light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The only one I've ever broken/lost was during a 3 gun stage. I'm pretty sure I banged it on a shell carrier in a less than perfect draw. I still finished the stage and match with the black front sight. Replacing the rod is very easy. In my experience in a no/low light class, the sight gathered no light and was difficult to use.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I'll echo everyone else and add.. I have seen at least three different diameter pipes used in sights. Know the size you need and get some before yours breaks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My daily carry G19 wears a fiber optic front sight. I have no worries of it breaking on me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have used them, cussed them, and have now gone back to them. I am the guy that has had them break on me. On two occasions I have broken my front "tube". Once was when shooting at work, unconventional position, shooting through a chain link fence. I broke the front sight tube during recoil on the chain link. That's obviously not a normal scenario, but it happened none the less. I replaced the sights and wrote them off as not durable enough for duty use. Problem is: I REALLY a like them, and live the precision they allow. Fast forward a few months, and I found some of the replacement tubes from Taran Tactical. They are like $2.00 for a couple inches of replacement. I bought 10 of them. :-)
    Next breakage was at a 3gun match. I drew my pistol for a stage and voila, no green dot. No biggie, I was absolutely able to shoot the stage. The front sight was usable. Kind of a shoot through the front hole deal. Cool part was, walk to the truck, install a new little tube, burn ends with Bic lighter, presto, brand new again.

Here's my take as a guy who shoots a fairly high volume of pistol, say 800-1000 rounds a month: they work, and are amazingly fast to pick up. The green dot is very easy to see and track through recoil, but they are a touch fragile. The easiest solution is to keep spares on hand. You can fix one in about 4 minutes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damn_yankee View Post
    My daily carry G19 wears a fiber optic front sight. I have no worries of it breaking on me.
    This. Thousands of rounds through multiple competition pistols.

T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast