Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peltor vs. msa

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

peltor vs. msa

there doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread on this topic. i would like to start this discussion, mainly because i have experience with both and i feel there are some perspectives worth discussing.

there are two major categories of active hearing protection, the comms enabled and the straight active hearing headset. i would say the two companies being compared fare better or worse depending on which category we're discussing.

for straight active hearing headset, both companies offer gel cups, which is crucial for comfort. however, in general, over ear muffs create heat build-up and for those working in desert environments, this creates sweat cups which can be distracting and uncomfortable. for hot environments, neither of these companies truly offers a great solution as the truly great solution would be some sort of in ear active hearing protection. to go on a tangent, i don't feel that most of the active in ear hearing protection is that great. many piggyback the circuitry body right alongside the in ear foam or gel in ear bud and this creates a situation where the in ear bud has to maintain the weight and positioning of the circuit body. the best solution would probably something akin to the peltor comtac iv

http://peltorcomms.3m.com/world/Prod...Category_Id=36

but without the microphone boom yoke and over the head band. remote circuitry body with some minimalist wiring to get the buds into the ears.

i don't want to discuss much more about features for which both companies offer adequate solutions. both companies offer traditional head bands, over the head bands and and behind the head bands (neck bands), both companies offer various tiers of models, both protect hearing adequately and both have great aftermarket support as well as good factory support. that's not really what this is about.

to compare peltor and msa when it comes to straight active hearing headset:

msa headsets are louder than peltor muffs, this can be great when shooter decides to wear double hearing protection.

msa headsets tend to feedback more harshly, this happens every time the headset is removed from the head; a shrill feedback is heard through the cups.

msa headsets have single button activation, this can create accidental activation when in kit bag. in fact there's almost never a time when i pull the headsets out of the beanie that i keep them in where they not already on.

msa headsets have headband length adjustment as opposed to wire post length adjustment found in peltor headsets.

msa headsets generally use the same weather proof battery compartment.

msa headsets have wire insulation that degrades, this typically results in the insulation exploding open at multiple points where fractures have developed in the insulation. because the wiring is epoxied into the circuit board to create weather proofing, the insulation cannot be re-sheathed.

msa headsets do not have a simple method of attaching to helmets. the iron forged concepts sara arc rail adapters were one of the first products to facilitate mounting msa headsets to a helmet, the safariland arc rail adapter is a continuation in the evolution of solutions to this problem. permanent modifications to the headset and the wire posts of the arc rail band must be made to mount these. once they are converted to use on helmets, msa headsets do not easily adjust length (because they were designed to adjust at the headband which is removed for installation on a helmet. typically the length is semi permanent and must be adjusted with tools and can't be adjusted on the fly. also because of this, the fitment once mounted on a helmet will be or can be canted, jackknifing the ear cup "open" and preventing a good seal.

peltor headsets have two button activation, this better prevents accidental activation in kit bag.

peltor headsets have wire post length adjustment and this is much better for use on helmets. this makes no difference when using a headband.

peltor swattacs have a plastic cover that is not weather proof for a battery compartment. other more expensive models have a sealed plastic cover.

peltor headsets have a much easier method of attaching to a helmet and offer much better adjustability and functionality when mounted.

to compare peltor and msa when it comes to comms enabled active muffs:

msa comms headsets must be ordered right or left handed only. this is not an issue that is noticed unless you are left handed, using a right handed comms headset. if you are left handed and you have a boom mic on the left side of your face, you end up with a nose microphone after you shoulder your rifle with proper cheek weld once.

msa comms headsets field dual comms typically by connecting the headsets to a push to talk adapter that feeds from 2 radios. this cuts down on the number of push to talk devices and hence reduces clutter.

peltor comms headsets are user changeable to left handed or right handed boom mic position.

peltor comms headsets field dual comms with two separate pigtails, one on each side of the headset. two independent push to talk devices can be connected, one on each side of the headset. this may just add clutter. dual push to talk devices are also available, however there will be one more headset wire to plug into the dual push to talk device.

my conclusion would be that i have had to deal with an msa liberator recently and the difficulty in getting it to work on my crye airframe is really a downer. mending the frayed insulation with adhesive heat shrink has been a pain. taking everything apart and installing the safariland arc rail adapaters, only to find out it doesn't quite work perfectly, all a downer. i am probably going to just settle on buying the alternative.

if we are discussing just hearing protection without any comms functionality, either company will be fine. it's when you add in helmet mounting and comms that peltor comes out as a clear winner.
    Last edited by trinydex; 09-26-16 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    TCI not an option?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    TCI not an option?
    for which ailment?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Between the two headsets, peltor comtac's are my favorite for the reasons you stated. If heat is an issue where you work or play, ear plugs and a bone conducting headet will keep your ears from swimming. The TCI TABC is what I was issued when I was in Texas, it was world's better under a helmet than the old school bone conducting headsets with the metal band across the top of the head, and doesn't contribute to a already hot and sweaty day on a concrete range.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Neither headset was designed to be helmet-mounted. You assume all ass-pain when retro-fitting comms to your designer helmet with proprietary designer rails.

All designs are after-thoughts to mate disparate stuff together due to what -- laziness and convenience?

If you need comms the original ballistic CVC was designed for comms -- with built-in noise reduction. But it was built for guys in a noisy armored vehicle.

Because you see something in a catalog doesn't necessarily mean it was built for your mission needs.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I am an infantryman, turned comms guy, who is now a CBRN geek. Having used, trained with and trained others on, as well as issued and maintained both the Peltor and MSA Sordin/TCI headsets, I can say from a professional standpoint that the MSA leaves a lot to be desired with relation to their ruggedness and available options. TCI's are MSA shells with TCI modified guts and do not perform as they say they do. I have seen more TCI headsets fail than any of the others because of their janky mods. Plus they really don't honor their stated warranty and MSA will not honor TCI's warranty when an MSA component breaks, so that is pretty telling. Are they, MSA/TCI, good headsets, for the most part yes, but they have a lot of issues, as stated above.

I currently run Peltor, and Peltor only, for multiple reasons. I also run Bone Conduction (Atlantic Signal) and actually prefer that to the over-the-ear muffs. However, in a CBRN environment, which I find myself in often, the Peltors are ideal.

For the average weekend warrior or LEO, the Peltors or Sordins will get the job done, but for military operations in austere environments, Peltor is the only answer. There is a reason why they are the primary headset worn by the majority of SOCOM.
    Last edited by drtywk; 09-27-16 at 13:54.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    anyone have comments on the silynx ear canal microphone vs. atlantic signal bone conduction microphone?
    Last edited by trinydex; 09-28-16 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Atlantic Signal all day long. They are the next generation of the original, which was New Eagle. Invisio and Silynx make good products that are used by a lot of organizations, but unless you use custom fitted ear pieces, they are just ear plugs. Because of my current work, In-the-Ear systems do not maintain their Situational Awareness once you don a suit and that is a big no no for me. My choice between In-the-Ear bone conduction and over the head, it is over the head, no questions asked. The biggest reason is I don't have to compromise on hearing protection and can use what is most comfortable. Plus the sound and clarity is vastly superior, IMHO.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

peltor vs. msa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Totally agree. MSA Sordin are crap compared to Peltor Comtac. Peltor sounds more natural, can tell distance better, are more reliable, more robust, better for helmet mounting, etc.

My Sordins turn off from recoil have horrible feedback, over amplify annoying noises, make judging distance impossible, are a pain to change batteries, are a pain to fit to a helmet, and just are not a good choice for almost everyone. I have no idea how they ever became popular. Somone had to be getting free stuff to promote them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast