Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5 Creedmore M1A??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you again. I really appreciate the knowledge and insight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Question away. I don't mind having to explain my position. The Creed suffers the same problem as the WSM family of cartridges-a robust shoulder angle. It offers more of a ledge to catch on during feeding. For this reason, cartridges based on the .308 case, not just the case head would be my choice. I would rather use .260Rem (for a 6.5mm) or .243 (for a 6mm). I don't know if it has gained much traction in gas guns yet, but 6.5x47 Lapua is an amazing round as well. It's shape also lends itself to easier feeding.
    I have the Savage 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and I like shooting it but I'm limited to 600 yards so I have not had the chance to use it to its true full potential but nothing would make me happier then someone coming out with a AR platform that would work with the 6.5 cm. On a side note it would probably be someone like Kel-Tec and end up being a jam-o-matic(j/k)but seriously a AR that could handle the shoulder and be dependable would be nice.

Feedback Score
    Question away. I don't mind having to explain my position. The Creed suffers the same problem as the WSM family of cartridges-a robust shoulder angle. It offers more of a ledge to catch on during feeding. For this reason, cartridges based on the .308 case, not just the case head would be my choice. I would rather use .260Rem (for a 6.5mm) or .243 (for a 6mm). I don't know if it has gained much traction in gas guns yet, but 6.5x47 Lapua is an amazing round as well. It's shape also lends itself to easier feeding.
    I have the Savage 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and I like shooting it but I'm limited to 600 yards so I have not had the chance to use it to its true full potential but nothing would make me happier then someone coming out with a AR platform that would work with the 6.5 cm. On a side note it would probably be someone like Kel-Tec and end up being a jam-o-matic(j/k)but seriously a AR that could handle the shoulder and be dependable would be nice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For a manually operated bolt gun I would choose the 6.5x47 Lapua or .243Win. With good bullet selection the .243 isn't a deer rifle from Walmart. Even then it's a great setup. Good bullets make the .243 a tack driving laser beam with insane energy. 6.5x47 has a lot of good things going for it, like using small primers. It's also the shortest of all mentioned so far, but still edges out the .300WM in trajectory at 1km. It's not the only one flatter than a .300WM, nor the flattest, but hugely better than .308.

All this is not to say that 6.5Creed is no good. It's so much better than .308Win. If you want to get great ammo at the store and avoid reloading, it is a great option.

Check out what the top shooters in the various precision long range matches are using. It's not .308Win. Some types of matches actually have a special category for the .308 shooters because they're so disadvantaged.
    I shoot the 6x47, 6.5x47, and the 6.5 creedmoor. The 6x47( 243/6mm bullet ) has slightly less recoil, than the 6.5's do. After about 700 yards, you can tell the energy of the bullet hitting the steel is going downhill pretty fast. Where as the 6.5 will still have a thud at 1k, instead of a ding. At 1250 you almost have to hold your breathe and listen for the ding sometimes. All 3 are really good cartridges. But be wary of the barrel life of the 6x47, its half what the 6.5 barrels are. It has about 1/3 less recoil than a 6.5.

The 6.5x47 is a better cartridge because of lapua brass, but can have issues punching primers unless your bolt is bushed. This may be the reason it has not caught on in a large frame AR yet. Plus given the fact that most do not want to beat up expensive brass.
    You can make your 6.5 creed just as good, but it takes converting lapua brass for it, not hard but time consuming. This will change after lapua releases their creed brass. Word is right now that it will have small pockets also.

The difference between the 2 6.5's is group size at 500 yards. Factory creed should net you 3-4" groups at 500. If you work the brass you can get it down to about 1.5-2"'s. The 6.5x47 shoots about 3/4-1.5"'s at 500 by just taking a piece out of the blue box and loading it. This is only because lapua brass is superior in uniformity. I might as well bring up the 260 also, they are good shooters too, and have lapua brass support.

Each cartridge has small differences, which will determine which one you buy. The 6.5x47 is slightly faster, but most guys run their loads a bit hot since the case will take it. Consider it the Ferrari of the 6.5's.
    Anything other than a bolt action does not do the 6.5's justice imho. But they can be very good. No one runs a 26" barreled AR that I know of. 600 yards is just beginning to stretch its legs a bit.
    If they made an auto or lever action in 260, that would be something I would look at. A solid 600 yard lever gun screams sexy.

Ranger, there are lots of guys building their own creed on an AR platform. I have seen some very good groups.

For the new guy wanting a good all around rifle, box ammo availability, shooting to 1k, or new to reloading, a creed should be at the top of their list.

This is my 6x47 at the range goofing off the last 5 rounds one day. Its 500 yards. I shot 2 for sighters(left), then the small group(right). My 6.5's will do the same thing.

950 yards barrel break in first shots after tune and first time at the range with it.

6.5 Creedmoor OCW test on lapua brass. Second row far right is 3 shots.

Feedback Score
    I'll need to do some searching and see what's been done as far as a AR platform,I've had health issues last few years so it's been awhile since i have searched for anything....I've had 3 heart attacks and 2 different pacemakers put in me in the last 3.5 years and I'm just getting back into shooting,had a morphine pump put in my back 4 years ago to deal with my chronic neck pain,I've been fused and plated and they can do no more,they had me on Oxy and then Fentynal and as last hope they put a pump in me. I've had a ruff 4 years,the last year and a half have been spent getting everything adjusted and I think they have done it for now because I'm back on here.
    Last edited by ranger56528; 10-03-16 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger56528 View Post
    I'll need to do some searching and see what's been done as far as a AR platform,I've had health issues last few years so it's been awhile since i have searched for anything....I've had 3 heart attacks and 2 different pacemakers put in me in the last 3.5 years and I'm just getting back into shooting,had a morphine pump put in my back 4 years ago to deal with my chronic neck pain,I've been fused and plated and they can do no more,they had me on Oxy and then Fentynal and as last hope they put a pump in me. I've had a ruff 4 years,the last year and a half have been spent getting everything adjusted and I think they have done it for now because I'm back on here.
    Best of luck with the physical issues young man and welcome back.

Keith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12