Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmore M1A??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

6.5 Creedmore M1A??

It would appear to be possible has anyone tried it?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It should definitely be possible, as the 6.5creed fits on .308 bolts and into .308 mags. The question would be, "why?"

The .308 is a mediocre cartridge and the M14/M1A is a mediocre rifle. People have this irrational love affair with both the rifle and the cartridge. Bottom line, the M14 doesn't do the .308 justice and the 6.5creed is a vastly better cartridge that will be greatly under served by that rifle. If you want a 6.5creed gas gun there are better options. I would also venture to say that if you want a 6.5 gas gun there might be better cartridges than the Creed.

This opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It would be interesting in a retropunk sort of way.

I kind of agree. M14s look pretty but suck. I toted one as a patrol rifle and while it looked menacing as hell, it really actually does kinda suck. The romance of the Vietnam War and CCR are probably the only thing keeping SAI and that other M1A outfit going.

I'd sooner get a LMT MWS with a 6.5 barrel. Certainly on the to do list provided the Hillpocalypse doesn't happen. Or even a bolt action.

JMO

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There was a .260 Rem for sale on Calguns ( for a kidney amount of money). Seller claimed it was reliable and very very accurate.

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't see why not. I remember when I was a kid and would spend hours gawking through "the shooters bible" they used to make the M1A in .243 Win, 7mm-08, .260 and .308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I don't see why not. I remember when I was a kid and would spend hours gawking through "the shooters bible" they used to make the M1A in .243 Win, 7mm-08, .260 and .308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have thought that going the other way would be neat. Say 338 Federal or maybe a 250 grain 358 Winchester. 16 inch barrel version would make a heck of a middle of the road, nimbly bimbly deep woods thumper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    It should definitely be possible, as the 6.5creed fits on .308 bolts and into .308 mags. The question would be, "why?"

The .308 is a mediocre cartridge and the M14/M1A is a mediocre rifle. People have this irrational love affair with both the rifle and the cartridge. Bottom line, the M14 doesn't do the .308 justice and the 6.5creed is a vastly better cartridge that will be greatly under served by that rifle. If you want a 6.5creed gas gun there are better options. I would also venture to say that if you want a 6.5 gas gun there might be better cartridges than the Creed.

This opinion is worth what you paid for it.
    What 6.5 cartridge in a gas gun would be better than Creed? Not questioning your expertise, honestly interested in hearing your opinion.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    What 6.5 cartridge in a gas gun would be better than Creed? Not questioning your expertise, honestly interested in hearing your opinion.
    Question away. I don't mind having to explain my position. The Creed suffers the same problem as the WSM family of cartridges-a robust shoulder angle. It offers more of a ledge to catch on during feeding. For this reason, cartridges based on the .308 case, not just the case head would be my choice. I would rather use .260Rem (for a 6.5mm) or .243 (for a 6mm). I don't know if it has gained much traction in gas guns yet, but 6.5x47 Lapua is an amazing round as well. It's shape also lends itself to easier feeding.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Question away. I don't mind having to explain my position. The Creed suffers the same problem as the WSM family of cartridges-a robust shoulder angle. It offers more of a ledge to catch on during feeding. For this reason, cartridges based on the .308 case, not just the case head would be my choice. I would rather use .260Rem (for a 6.5mm) or .243 (for a 6mm). I don't know if it has gained much traction in gas guns yet, but 6.5x47 Lapua is an amazing round as well. It's shape also lends itself to easier feeding.
    Thank you for your response. Always interested in learning new things. I have not had any experience with the 6.5 offerings, so I was not aware of those differences. Is this just because of feeding for a gas gun? Would you still choose .260 over 6.5CM in a bolt gun?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    Thank you for your response. Always interested in learning new things. I have not had any experience with the 6.5 offerings, so I was not aware of those differences. Is this just because of feeding for a gas gun? Would you still choose .260 over 6.5CM in a bolt gun?
    For a manually operated bolt gun I would choose the 6.5x47 Lapua or .243Win. With good bullet selection the .243 isn't a deer rifle from Walmart. Even then it's a great setup. Good bullets make the .243 a tack driving laser beam with insane energy. 6.5x47 has a lot of good things going for it, like using small primers. It's also the shortest of all mentioned so far, but still edges out the .300WM in trajectory at 1km. It's not the only one flatter than a .300WM, nor the flattest, but hugely better than .308.

All this is not to say that 6.5Creed is no good. It's so much better than .308Win. If you want to get great ammo at the store and avoid reloading, it is a great option.

Check out what the top shooters in the various precision long range matches are using. It's not .308Win. Some types of matches actually have a special category for the .308 shooters because they're so disadvantaged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast