Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The heavy duty truck wars are heating up

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but what is a 425 Detroit and what vehicle does it go in?
    425 hp Detroit Diesel. 12.7 liter. It goes in one of these.

http://autoimages.org/wp-content/upl...rth-t600-6.jpg

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnkey11 View Post
    My next one will be a late 90's Ford with a 7.3. No desire to take on a 10 year payment plan for a new truck.
    My buddy spent almost a year trying find a 7.3. Great motors though.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Someone mentioned a lack of brake upgrades. I always find it funny when I see 6"+ lifted trucks on 40" tires with no brake or gear ratio upgrades. Hell I am surprised the manufactures have not switched from those rubber type lines to stainless braided Kevlar reinforced lines. They do not cost much and completely remove any brake fade and prevent UV deterioration. I got Crown lines on my truck and it was cheap at around $130; amazing difference and probably my most favorable upgrades.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endur View Post
    Someone mentioned a lack of brake upgrades. I always find it funny when I see 6"+ lifted trucks on 40" tires with no brake or gear ratio upgrades. Hell I am surprised the manufactures have not switched from those rubber type lines to stainless braided Kevlar reinforced lines. They do not cost much and completely remove any brake fade and prevent UV deterioration. I got Crown lines on my truck and it was cheap at around $130; amazing difference and probably my most favorable upgrades.
    Yea, but you gotta remember 99% of people with those rigs don't even wheel their sh*t.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Yea, but you gotta remember 99% of people with those rigs don't even wheel their sh*t.
    Very true.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I bought a Peterbilt in February with an ISX with new engine, rears, and transmission 100K before I bought it... for a paltry sum of $32K cash. I've worked that truck since then and it's paid for itself already. It sure is tough to consider paying $50K for a pickup.

My '06 D-max 2500HD has 150K on it right now and drives just fine. I can't even see a need for more than the 360HP it already has. I just figure I'll swallow the $5K in repairs it needs (injectors and a bunch of small items) and keep it rolling. Better than buying another used one with problems I don't know about.

I also own a Ford with a 7.3. While parts are cheaper, it has not been more reliable than my D-max by any stretch of the imagination.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Yah, that's good, old school diesel power by International. It's right there with the old 5.9L 12V Cummins.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    Yah, that's good, old school diesel power by International. It's right there with the old 5.9L 12V Cummins.
    12v a much better and more reliable engine. No comparison with a P-pump to the HPOP injection.

The 7.3 with indirect chamber and HPOP injection leaves much to be desired along with low HP/liter. However, they would run a long time. A very sturdy bottom end at stock power.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    When I'm looking, they're nowhere to be found; when I'm broke, they're everywhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbx View Post
    425 hp Detroit Diesel. 12.7 liter. It goes in one of these.

http://autoimages.org/wp-content/upl...rth-t600-6.jpg
    Thanks, new to this game my bosses' new toy 1990 Peterbuilt 6x6, As I'm the only one with the CDL in the Co. I have to drive it and train him LOL

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast