Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The heavy duty truck wars are heating up

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbx View Post
    What?

Sealed front axle? Drive shaft replacement because is the carrier bearing? They are pressed on, but you don't buy a shaft unless yours is wrecked. On the axle, how do you suppose all the parts and fluid got in?

No offense, but I think you may be getting lied to. Did your mechanic tell you these things?
    None taken!

On the front diff - that's what I was told and trust me i was as shocked as you. I'll do a lil more digging but that was from a reputable shop and as I was not having issues with it - just wanted to have it serviced as PM I didn't bother looking into it any further.

More and more stuff is being manufactured like this as it speeds up the process on the assembly line and cuts costs. And that's true of all brands.

On the mid carrier bearing/rear drive shaft thats straight from ford and yes while I could have potentially removed the drive shaft and limped it to a driveshaft shop in front wheel drive to attempt to have the bearing replaced, it didnt seem worth taking the chance nor did I have the time to go that route especially when it was on the rack and fixed in 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Who's Joe Isuzu?
    Man, I must be getting old.

Google it. TV commercial from the 80s.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GO_ALLOUT View Post
    None taken!

On the front diff - that's what I was told and trust me i was as shocked as you. I'll do a lil more digging but that was from a reputable shop and as I was not having issues with it - just wanted to have it serviced as PM I didn't bother looking into it any further.

More and more stuff is being manufactured like this as it speeds up the process on the assembly line and cuts costs. And that's true of all brands.

On the mid carrier bearing/rear drive shaft thats straight from ford and yes while I could have potentially removed the drive shaft and limped it to a driveshaft shop in front wheel drive to attempt to have the bearing replaced, it didnt seem worth taking the chance nor did I have the time to go that route especially when it was on the rack and fixed in 2 days.

I'll save you the trouble. Your getting lied to man. Here's a 2013 f250 parts diagram. Where on that picture looks un-serviceable?

In another thread like a week ago a guy said they had to "swap" a complete axle on his dodge ram because odd bad ball joints. Absolutely false.

I hope like hell it was just some dipshit service writer that's never held a rachet in their life. What these guys are telling you, assuming competence, is straight up fraud in my book. Not only that, it's illegal as ****. It's called racketeering.

Last edited by cbx; 10-03-16 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'll save you the trouble. Your getting lied to man. Here's a 2013 f250 parts diagram. Where on that picture looks un-serviceable?

In another thread like a week ago a guy said they had to "swap" a complete axle on his dodge ram because odd bad ball joints. Absolutely false.

I hope like hell it was just some dipshit service writer that's never held a rachet in their life. What these guys are telling you, assuming competence, is straight up fraud in my book. Not only that, it's illegal as ****. It's called racketeering.

I agree man it's complete bs. And while that's an f250, and mines an f150...the more I think about it...it's gotta be serviceable. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GO_ALLOUT View Post
    I agree man it's complete bs. And while that's an f250, and mines an f150...the more I think about it...it's gotta be serviceable. Thanks!

CBX beat me to it.

I have a '10 F150. The front axel is completely serviceable. The 10th gens were harder because the differential cover is built into one of the frame mounts. The 11th-13th gens are not. My last truck was a '98 F150.
    Last edited by Endur; 10-04-16 at 06:41.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endur View Post
    CBX beat me to it.

I have a '10 F150. The front axel is completely serviceable. The 10th gens were harder because the differential cover is built into one of the frame mounts. The 11th-13th gens are not. My last truck was a '98 F150.
    Maybe it was laziness or lack of knowledge on the shops part...but regardless I should have known better. But it seems like money out of their pocket so I'm shocked that they'd feed me that load of BS.

Regardless, let's get this conversation back on track!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Do the Fords and Chevy not come with 100k powertrain warranty?

I'd still not want to deal with diff/drive shaft issues under 200k, but I'm stunned at the problems I'm hearing folks deal with

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The fact is, all of the big 3 had their share of different endemic problems. It became an issue of what problem would you rather deal with or, in better words, which issues would you rather risk and hope don't occur.

Like Ford 6.0 engine... cracked heads for 50k miles Alex? GM had injector issues and limp mode failures. Dodge had different issues like lift pump, ball joints, HVAC blend door fubar... These lists go on and on.

They all have their problems.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

I'd still not want to deal with diff/drive shaft issues under 200k, but I'm stunned at the problems I'm hearing folks deal with
    Nope and fords is the worst.

I agree, seems like premature bearing failure to me.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

That was me, and yeah I feel pretty badly ripped off. It's years too late to do anything about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Chevy had a 100k powertrain warranty through 2015 and changed to a 60k for 2016. It looks like the diesel engine still has a 5/100 and it isn't clear if that's the entire powertrain if you buy a diesel, or just the engine itself.

Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    The fact is, all of the big 3 had their share of different endemic problems. It became an issue of what problem would you rather deal with or, in better words, which issues would you rather risk and hope don't occur.
    Like Ford 6.0 engine... cracked heads for 50k miles Alex? GM had injector issues and limp mode failures. Dodge had different issues like lift pump, ball joints, HVAC blend door fubar... These lists go on and on.
    They all have their problems.
    Oh, yeah, almost forgot that our Dodge had the HVAC blend door failure also. At least that was a cheap fix.

Part of the reason I switched to GM is all the bad dealer experiences I had with Chrysler brands. GM certainly has bad dealers, but they have so many dealers in total that you have more ability to just deal with a good dealer. Where I used to live, a town of about 400k, had one Dodge dealer and something like eight Chevy or GMC dealers who can work on a GM truck. Even if six of them are poor, you still have twice as many options for service vs. Dodge. Just an example, YMMV.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast