Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The heavy duty truck wars are heating up

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I am not sure about a diesel equipped 250, but the 250 with a 6.2 I would build via Ford's build & price is right at about 39k-40k. I actually got to see one of the new 2017 SD's yesterday, man those things are good looking and they dwarf the previous gen SD's.

Quote Originally Posted by cbx View Post
    Yeah, the no manual transmissions anymore genuinely saddens me also.

Its to the point that they have to have automatics and tractiom control though. Most people can't actually handle those type of power levels and not get them self killed.
    Truth.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    The Company I work for buys Dodge for the most part.
    I have now driven both the 2500 and the 3500 for almost six years. If there is a less comfortable Truck to use as a daily driver I would imagine it is driven by oxen and the Marquises de Sade has designed the interior.
    Between having the turning radius of a Destroyer, a total inability to find a parking space anywhere but in the next County, requiring DEF and the most unwieldy seats and cabin design, I envy those I work with who are driving Fords and Chevy's.
    My "new" 2500 has the little dial shifter and push button 4 wheel drive select, I have contemplated a hammer to fix this at times.
    They all run DEF now. How do you feel heavy duty vehicle should ride?

Not dogging you, but honest question?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Starting to show my age I guess. I remember when it took Twin turbos injectors, fancy fuel pump setups, head work, and a bunch of other goodies to get 450 horsepower daily driver that didn't smoke show everybody out in the intersection as well as actually Not destroy itself.

Better computers, Bosch common rail, and variable geometry turbos have definitely changed the game for sure.

I can't wait until we start talking about gallons per mile. Lol.

Feedback Score

Its to the point that they have to have automatics and tractiom control though. Most people can't actually handle those type of power levels and not get them self killed.
    Agree lack of manual tranny is sad.

As far as power goes, I have to be careful spinning tires on wet streets on any sort of fast start if my bed is empty. Definitely rides best with a couple cubic yards of dirt or compost in the bed that I haul for garden beds.

Take Care,

Buzz

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They all run DEF now. How do you feel heavy duty vehicle should ride?

Not dogging you, but honest question?
    A year earlier truck in the same fleet, same style, no DEF. Part of the problem is we're running Trucks we really don't need, they are way too big for what we are currently doing with them. It's not the ride as much as the total inconvenience of the cabs design.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    A year earlier truck in the same fleet, same style, no DEF. Part of the problem is we're running Trucks we really don't need, they are way too big for what we are currently doing with them.
    If that's the comparison I wouldn't complain too bad. DEF gets back most of the fuel economy you lose adding diesel particulate filters. I'm not really a fan of the emissions gear but if you've got to have it DPF + DEF is the best configuration to have overall.

It's not the ride as much as the total inconvenience of the cabs design.
    The newer rams with rear coil springs ride pretty good. It's no Cadillac but it's right there with a half ton truck and worlds better than ole whitey, my 98 Ram.....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Company I work for buys Dodge for the most part.
    I have now driven both the 2500 and the 3500 for almost six years. If there is a less comfortable Truck to use as a daily driver I would imagine it is driven by oxen and the Marquises de Sade has designed the interior.
    Between having the turning radius of a Destroyer, a total inability to find a parking space anywhere but in the next County, requiring DEF and the most unwieldy seats and cabin design, I envy those I work with who are driving Fords and Chevy's.
    My "new" 2500 has the little dial shifter and push button 4 wheel drive select, I have contemplated a hammer to fix this at times.
    They all use def now. It's required by the EPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    They all use def now. It's required by the EPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like I said, part of the problem, we're for the most part running trucks much bigger than we need now as the mission has changed. The DEF and Diesel isn't worth the added cost and hassle for what we're doing.
    Again whomever designed the cab of that truck, the dash and controls, had no idea of how uncomfortable that design truly is.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    These are awesome numbers, but how useful are they really? Isn't this at the point where the engine will let you pull things that the rest of the truck can't safely stop, turn, or control in crosswinds? My comparatively weak (ha) former Dodge with a 325hp/625lb-ft 5.9L Cummins never lacked for power. The motor was more capable than anything else in the truck, based on experience hauling up to an 11k gooseneck trailer over various conditions including all the way across the Appalachians (Black Mountain, NC included), lots of miles in Chicago rush-hour traffic, and moderately bad winter conditions in Michigan. (We're smart enough not to pull a trailer in a blizzard.)

Or are they uprating everything into the 450/550 class but just calling them 350 (1-ton) class trucks?

How do you feel heavy duty vehicle should ride?
    Different person here - night and day difference between our 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab diesel and our 2015 Chevy K2500 crew cab gas. The Chevy has >1000lbs more payload capacity yet rides almost like a car. The Dodge had a paltry 1700 or so payload and rode like an ox-cart. They are similar in overall weight and towing ability.

Yes, I read the other person's mention that the newer Dodge Rams with a coil spring rear are "pretty good." I don't know if that's a heavy duty or 1/2 ton pickup though.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

It has a lot to do with emissions. Control the shift points, control the emissions.

I haven't been around daily driver light duty trucks for awhile. But, as power levels approach what actual heavy duty trucks (Class 8) are producing, I hope they are actually able to stop. Engine brakes are only effective when your one driver axle has traction.

Reminds me of the noob drag racing crowd building a car backwards. Stuff 800 horsepower under the hood while leaving the suspension and brakes untouched.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast