Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The heavy duty truck wars are heating up

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    Thanks, new to this game my bosses' new toy 1990 Peterbuilt 6x6, As I'm the only one with the CDL in the Co. I have to drive it and train him LOL
    I love playing with the 4wd/6wd biggin's.

Let's see here....Flip this to 'Low'....rotate that to 'Low'...slide this back to 'Low'...pull that towards me and back. Punch it. I'm doing 0.5 mph on the floor!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnkey11 View Post
    When I'm looking, they're nowhere to be found; when I'm broke, they're everywhere.
    That's usually how it works.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I bought a Peterbilt in February with an ISX with new engine, rears, and transmission 100K before I bought it... for a paltry sum of $32K cash. I've worked that truck since then and it's paid for itself already. It sure is tough to consider paying $50K for a pickup.

My '06 D-max 2500HD has 150K on it right now and drives just fine. I can't even see a need for more than the 360HP it already has. I just figure I'll swallow the $5K in repairs it needs (injectors and a bunch of small items) and keep it rolling. Better than buying another used one with problems I don't know about.

I also own a Ford with a 7.3. While parts are cheaper, it has not been more reliable than my D-max by any stretch of the imagination.
    06' LBZ Duramax is a gem. Finest of the bunch in my opinion. If I were to buy a used chevy, that would be it.

They just did everything right. Calibration was solid. Six speed, didn't sound like someone dumped marbles into the cylinders and left them there like The LLYs were.

The 07' LMM I was around was a joke though. Had the low hpcr fuel issue. What a damn nightmare that was.

The 7.3 was awesome as well. They had a few issues. You needed to carry a spare glow plug relay (could use a screw driver in a pintch) and also a cam sensor. That was a very common failure.

The transmissions were junk for the most part. Not hard to fix. High pressue oil system had some gremlins there too. Valve cover harness was an issue.

Over all though, they were fairly solid. Biggest problems were glow plugs, good batteries, and good starters. They were the king until the 6.oh no came out. That was a real racket. Back then we didn't have these good camera phone's, but I'll never forget seeing 10 brand new 04 and 05s with the cabs off...... If they hadn't screwed up so bad, non of the other brands would have the hold they do now.

Tell you this, if you have a 97' powerstroke, and it shuts off every time you turn left, and doesn't leave codes, I'll save you about 3 grand and 50 hours of diagnostic time. The Injector Driver Module is full of water..... Oh eff me that was a nightmare. Funny now. But May 2005 was a very very dark time full of anguish and wanting to lay down in the middle of the road......lol...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    That's usually how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnkey11 View Post
    When I'm looking, they're nowhere to be found; when I'm broke, they're everywhere.
    Even more so if you want one with a handshaker.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Even more so if you want one with a handshaker.
    Those are way hard to find too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Tell you this, if you have a 97' powerstroke, and it shuts off every time you turn left, and doesn't leave codes, I'll save you about 3 grand and 50 hours of diagnostic time. The Injector Driver Module is full of water..... Oh eff me that was a nightmare. Funny now. But May 2005 was a very very dark time full of anguish and wanting to lay down in the middle of the road......lol...
    I had similar experience.. my left bank of cylinders would shut off at random. Bought a new module, same deal... turned out to be a short in the valve cover gasket (which contains the control wiring). It would always test fine, but fail randomly..

Feedback Score
    All of this thread makes me happy that I currently have no need for a diesel powered pickup truck. I'll stick with my paid for 2007 Tundra and the relatively simple gas motor.

I deal with diesel motive power at work, but won't bore you guys with my observations of medium speed diesels and their foibles. Realistically for what they get put through, locomotive diesel engines are insanely robust.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    All of this thread makes me happy that I currently have no need for a diesel powered pickup truck. I'll stick with my paid for 2007 Tundra and the relatively simple gas motor.

I deal with diesel motive power at work, but won't bore you guys with my observations of medium speed diesels and their foibles. Realistically for what they get put through, locomotive diesel engines are insanely robust.
    I see what you did there

Little, nancy, high rev'ing 6 & 7 liters can't be repurposed like the big bores can...

Quite possibly the largest intake valve 99.9% of people will ever see. You saw here on M4C holding my paper towels, folks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    While I wouldn't call a 1 ton "heavy duty" I do like the new Chevs and Fords alot. I've always been a Ford guy, but these new silverado 2500s look good! Especially the Z71 all colormatched ones..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    How cute... my cummins ram can tow your Tundra and get the same fuel mileage as yours does driving! :-)

I'd be all over a Toyota Hi-Lux quad cab if they imported one like they sell elsewhere. Tacomas and Tundras may be nice car alternatives, but won't come anywhere close to meeting my needs. Tundras especially, stupid high bed height, especially the side walls & tailgate. Yet less ground clearance than a ram. IE: it was not high due to some function increase, it was just styling. This tells me they never intended the truck to be used as a truck.

Older Tacomas were nice usable trucks, but still sucked at fuel mileage. But at least they were reasonable in cost.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast