Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Experts find potential cause of Crohn's

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    Yeah, she's on 6-MP and a couple other scrips I don't remember off the top of my head. She's already been on, then off Humira and Imuran. Remicade side affects are pretty brutal, and the 4 week intervals aren't easy for sure.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Hate to hear that. I'm not sure if she's tried other biologics, but there are several more out there like cimzia and tysabri if she wanted to give those a whirl before surgery. Most people start with remicade, then go to humira. I figured she'd taken that route. I also started with Humira. Surgery is always serious, but for me it was like hitting a reset button. I wish I'd have done it earlier.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Hate to hear that. I'm not sure if she's tried other biologics, but there are several more out there like cimzia and tysabri if she wanted to give those a whirl before surgery. Most people start with remicade, then go to humira. I figured she'd taken that route. I also started with Humira. Surgery is always serious, but for me it was like hitting a reset button. I wish I'd have done it earlier.
    I believe she tried Humira before Remicade was approved to UC.

Not to get too personal, but how is life after the surgery?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    I believe she tried Humira before Remicade was approved to UC.

Not to get too personal, but how is life after the surgery?
    Honestly, it's like I don't even have Crohn's. I can eat whatever I want, I absorb nutrients again (I've gone from 158 pre surgery to 176.5 as of yesterday at 6'2"), I have energy again, and the only recurring issue from surgery is some tightness around my scar when I'm active.

It's my understanding that UC is actually curable when removing the entire large intestine. I don't know if it returns if you only remove a section of the large intestine. I only had a fraction of my small intestine removed, but Crohn's can reoccur anywhere in the digestive tract in the future, whereas UC is relegated only to the large intestine.
    Last edited by HCrum87hc; 09-28-16 at 15:37.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    Appreciate the link Will. Just glancing thru, she's already incorporated a lot of that into her daily routine, with little to no impact. Now she's four months into Remicade infusions, and the docs are concerned she's built up antibodies to it.
    There's a lot info to absorb so I'd take a long slow look at it at some point. A promising therapy is also fecal transplants which is just as it sounds, but shows real promise and does no harm as far as I'm aware. The OP of this thread makes sense as to why it may be beneficial. It's very effective for c diff infections, but may also help with Crohns:

http://www.wcvb.com/bethisrael/fecal...hrons/32398976

http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-dise...crohns-disease
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-28-16 at 15:43.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post
    Like journalists who get assigned gun articles, I am not certain this information is correct.
    I don't know of any Crohn's treated by surgery. I could be wrong.
    Surgery isn't used to treat Crohn's disease and can't cure it. It's used to treat the complications of Crohn's disease. Surgery can cure ulcerative colitis but it requires removing the entire colon to do it. Most patients with ulcerative colitis will ultimately come to that conclusion.
    Last edited by Hmac; 09-28-16 at 15:47.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It's my understanding that UC is actually curable when removing the entire large intestine. I don't know if it returns if you only remove a section of the large intestine. I only had a fraction of my small intestine removed, but Crohn's can reoccur anywhere in the digestive tract in the future, whereas UC is relegated only to the large intestine.
    That is my understanding too. Doc said they'd take most of the colon, do an ileostomy for about year, then reattach the ileum to the anus. Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    There's a lot info to absorb so I'd take a long slow look at it at some point. A promising therapy is also fecal transplants which is just as it sounds, but shows real promise and does no harm as far as I'm aware. The OP of this thread makes sense as to why it may be beneficial. It's very effective for c diff infections, but may also help with Crohns:

http://www.wcvb.com/bethisrael/fecal...hrons/32398976

http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-dise...crohns-disease
    Certainly will look closely. Thanks again for the links. Fecal transplant was ruled out for a reason I can't recall, but it was specific to my wife's case.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the move mods, sorry.

My fiance also had surgery and has been good since. She's very care full about what she eats.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have UC, and failed with all of the major treatments, including Remicade. I was 2 Drs appts away from having my colon removed, when Entyvio was released. At first I declined to take it, but after my doctor convinced me, I reluctantly started, and have been on it for about 2 years, and it has been a god send.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prdubi View Post
    wife has it..she has been in hospital many times. ..she wants to divorce me because of it ...but not giving her up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    I can relate. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast