Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qualities experienced shooters look for in a can?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Qualities experienced shooters look for in a can?

Hey guys,

I am brand new to the NFA game. I, like many others, jumped into the NFA game before 41F took affect and probably was not as educated as I should have been when making my first purchases. I currently have an Omega in jail and two lowers in limbo at the moment.

I have been reading and educating myself a lot in the recent months and have found that a lot more experience individuals value different qualities, and therefore different cans, than I did and was led to believe. IE a lot of people see the omega as a decent can for the sound reduction and weight reduction, but fear its not as robust and has some POI change.

I plan on mounting these suppressors on 11.5 in 556 uppers, 10.5 in 300 BO uppers, and my AR10s. I fully intend to shoot suppressed most of the time with these firearms and I have a higher round count per month than the average enthusiast (probably 700 rds a month). I would prefer QD attachments over direct threads. I also am leaning towards SiCo suppressors, especially the omega and specwar k cans. My mindset is that I would like to own these suppressors for many years with a higher than average round count. I have never had a problem buying quality, so price need not be an issue when we are looking at all options.

SOOOO, I would love to pick your experienced brains on what qualities people value most in a can and in particular, which cans should us new guys consider for the most common calibers.

Thanks
    Daniel
    Last edited by Furbyballer; 09-29-16 at 08:19. Reason: Edited per slippers suggestions

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    You're going to get a ton of varied answers, but it would help if you let everyone know what type of suppressor you're looking for. People generally want different things in a .22 can versus a centerfire rifle can. Within a class of suppressors there are also some big differences, such as lightweight hunting/precision suppressors versus full-auto rated.

Since you mention the Omega, I'll make the assumption that you want a centerfire rifle suppressor. What do you envision doing with it? You'll find that there's a split in opinions on centerfire rifle suppressors on what is important. Some people value dB reduction, while others prefer to chase reduced back pressure (on a semi-auto host). I'm in the latter camp, since regardless of the dB reduction, the bullet is still supersonic and not hearing safe (unless you're shooting a subsonic round like 300 blackout).

If you're using a bolt gun, then back pressure isn't important.

You'll always have some point of impact shift - you're adding a large weight to the end of the barrel. As long as the shift is repeatable when you attach the suppressor every time, that's all that matters.

The other big topic is how it mounts. Direct attach or QD, and if QD, the reliability and ease of use of the mount, plus your choices for the muzzle devices.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    You're going to get a ton of varied answers, but it would help if you let everyone know what type of suppressor you're looking for. People generally want different things in a .22 can versus a centerfire rifle can. Within a class of suppressors there are also some big differences, such as lightweight hunting/precision suppressors versus full-auto rated.

Since you mention the Omega, I'll make the assumption that you want a centerfire rifle suppressor. What do you envision doing with it? You'll find that there's a split in opinions on centerfire rifle suppressors on what is important. Some people value dB reduction, while others prefer to chase reduced back pressure (on a semi-auto host). I'm in the latter camp, since regardless of the dB reduction, the bullet is still supersonic and not hearing safe (unless you're shooting a subsonic round like 300 blackout).

If you're using a bolt gun, then back pressure isn't important.

You'll always have some point of impact shift - you're adding a large weight to the end of the barrel. As long as the shift is repeatable when you attach the suppressor every time, that's all that matters.

The other big topic is how it mounts. Direct attach or QD, and if QD, the reliability and ease of use of the mount, plus your choices for the muzzle devices.
    Updated original post. Thank you for helping me narrow down the information I am seeking.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OP, are you looking for one do-it-all can for those three platforms or are you wanting individual suppressor for each of them?
    RLTW
    Danger Close Knows No Atheists.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker6 View Post
    OP, are you looking for one do-it-all can for those three platforms or are you wanting individual suppressor for each of them?
    Money is really not a problem, so which ever performs the best. I would hypothesize that caliber specific cans will probably have better performance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are looking for a "Do-all" centerfire can then the Omega is hard to beat. If the durability is something you question and length/weight is not a question, go with the Saker 762 with an ASR mount. Stay away from the Trifecta mount as I have personally seen someone launch a Saker 762 due to mount failure. SilencerCo replaced it with an ASR within a couple days no questions asked. Customer service is top notch.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBeeGIXXER View Post
    If you are looking for a "Do-all" centerfire can then the Omega is hard to beat. If the durability is something you question and length/weight is not a question, go with the Saker 762 with an ASR mount. Stay away from the Trifecta mount as I have personally seen someone launch a Saker 762 due to mount failure. SilencerCo replaced it with an ASR within a couple days no questions asked. Customer service is top notch.
    For the 3 guns I have waiting for hosts, 2 of them already have asr mounts. But as I said before, if the performance is better for caliber specific cans I am not opposed to owning several.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Rank the following by value. (Below is my ranking from most to least important when it comes to centerfire rifle suppressors).

-Mount/locking mechsnism
    -POI shift
    -Accuracy
    -Blowback on semiautomatic weapons
    -Signature (flash etc.)
    -Durability
    -Customer service/support
    -Weight
    -db reduction
    -Price
    -If the cool kids are running these
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    Rank the following by value. (Below is my ranking from most to least important when it comes to centerfire rifle suppressors).

-Mount/locking mechsnism
    -POI shift
    -Accuracy
    -Blowback on semiautomatic weapons
    -Signature (flash etc.)
    -Durability
    -Customer service/support
    -Weight
    -db reduction
    -Price
    -If the cool kids are running these
    Thanks for posting your criteria. Can you elaborate on your personal experience on a couple cans that meet these values? Because I can apply this criteria to cans, but without real world experience on any of them it won't be as beneficial.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I can't speak of the Omega, but I happen to own a Specwar 556K and Saker 762. As others have mentioned, the Trifecta mount on the Saker is not recommended. Silencerco replaced mine and all my muzzle devices with ASR for free, and I have never had an issue since. POI change is repeatable, accuracy is unchanged, and neither can has gotten stuck on an ASR mount. The Specwar K is a nice little no-frills can, and fairly inexpensive. I'm very pleased with mine. My Saker, once the mount issues were resolved, has been fine as well, and has seen over 5,000 rounds. It's a beast in terms of size, weight, and durability.

I have several friends with Surefire RC suppressors and have used them, and there is noticeably less back pressure, resulting in slower cyclic rate increase when adding the suppressor, and less gas-to-face. I'm planning on grabbing a 762 RC2 as a result, but I'm still quite satisfied with my Silencerco suppressors.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast