Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can top-grade, critical components make a Frankengun a winner?

Feedback Score
    Technically, any arsenal reworked M4 or M16 is a "franken-gun"...

You don't honestly think Anniston segregates Colt bolts and bolt carriers, etc, from the FN ones, from the replacement contract ones from third sources; and then meticulously puts them back together with matching parts?

As long as your stock of parts is quality, the aggregate of those parts will be quality...(assuming there is quality in the assembly work).

Who supplies "quality" parts is another debate entirely.
    Last edited by lysander; 09-29-16 at 20:06. Reason: spellinf

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Coming from the world of FALs (where, I believe, the term "frankengun"originated), a rifle doesn't qualify as a frankengun unless a Dremel was involved and the project baptized with the blood of the builder.

In all seriousness, along with barrel, bolt and FCG, springs are very important, especially the extractor, action and hammer springs. Any of those three start to fail and your rifle is going to have problems no matter how good the rest of the parts or carefully the rifle is assembled
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    If done right, a custom build can be great. Mine is. It's exactly what I wanted, is of high quality and assembled well.

If it's made of good components and assembled well, and function verified, it's good to go imo. You can ussually get same function for less, but they have their place.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Like someone mentioned above, if I was asked what "brand" it was it'd be like that old Johnny Cash song "One Piece At a Time"!
    This definitely occurred to me! And since my receivers are Spike's, my ARs (technically they are ST-15s) are probably considered "crap", or someone will probably make a dick joke. And the buffers are Spikes T-2... oh no! Ban me now!!!! But I don't really GAF- nobody who has shot them has ever said they're crap. Quite the opposite. I'm still a fan of homebuilt ARs- as long as the builder has realistic expectations and isn't just trying to cut corners and "out cheap" the mass-producers.

ETA: I agree with the assessment that "Frankengun" probably involves a dremel, a soldering iron, and maybe duct tape. Exhibit A is the "Gunsmithing Hall of Shame" thread.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 09-29-16 at 20:53.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For whatever it's worth, every single AR I've ever owned (lost count over the years) has been a FrankenGun. The only issues I've ever had were 1) magazine-related (very early Magpuls, C-Products, and Thermold), 2) a velcro-mounted brass catcher bouncing casings back into the ejection port, 3) indecision as to where I was going with a particular build, and 4) running low on funds when I finally did decide what I wanted.

Complete factory builds, in my opinion, only hold their resale value better than FrankenGuns. If that's not a concern, "piecing one together" is just fine - especially to get every last specification you want.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've built and bought. Personally I've had great luck building, but a close friend of mine had some issues with his. I don't remember what the issues were but the rifle was not reliable at all. He called the various manufactures, and was basically told by each that it was the other guys fault.

When you build your own you are the warranty department. I only build if there isn't a rifle offered by a top shelf company in the configuration I want.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    Imo it's vastly superior. I can't think of a single AR I wouldn't change something on. Imo factory builds always stick to the norms and there's always somebody doing something a little better than normal. Why wouldn't you do a rifle exactly how you want is my POV. Most importantly you know every part and how well it's put together. I've found most people these days want the most for doing the least. No thanks. I'll do it myself.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interested to hear what makes one assembly good and another bad. All of the pieces pretty much either snap together, have a simple to tap in roll pin, or have a nut that you just torque to spec with a torque wrench. An AR is unbelievably simple to put together correctly. What are people doing to have a "poorly assembled" AR?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedubs1 View Post
    Interested to hear what makes one assembly good and another bad. All of the pieces pretty much either snap together, have a simple to tap in roll pin, or have a nut that you just torque to spec with a torque wrench. An AR is unbelievably simple to put together correctly. What are people doing to have a "poorly assembled" AR?
    Because they lack the fundamental knowledge, manual dexterity, proper tools, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedubs1 View Post
    Here are a few I've seen: a factory Bushmaster barrel assembly with an off-center-drilled FSB [use of an improperly made FSB], a factory Stag bolt carrier with an improperly staked gas key [improper staking], an uncentered gas tube [a couple of home builds I've seen], and unstaked castle nuts. Note that not all of the assembly errors were made by the home builder ... until the home builder decided to use the poorly assembled parts in his build. I've also seen castle nuts installed with the teeth facing the wrong way. I know some people do that on purpose, claiming it reduces snagging on clothing. I can't say whether that works on not, but it's fine if you do it on purpose. However, if you do it because you weren't paying attention, I consider that an error, because you should be paying attention.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast