Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prvi -Partizan aka PPU recalls all 6.5 Grendel ammo and brass

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Prvi -Partizan aka PPU recalls all 6.5 Grendel ammo and brass

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...el-ammo-brass/

Recently, Prvi Partizan (aka PPU) announced a complete recall of 6.5 Grendel ammunition and brass that it made. Typically, when a company recalls ammunition, it is limited to a specific lot number or load. In this case, the recall is for “ALL 6.5 Grendel ammunition” (emphasis theirs) and brass.

The announcement includes the two loads the company currently makes: a 110 gr FMJBT and a 120 gr HPBT.

According to the company, the recall is “Because of different chamber sizes in certain rifles” that could cause “excessive chamber pressure.” I find it curious that instead of issuing a warning that the ammunition should not be fired in a 6.5 Grendel rifle from Brand X, the company instead undertakes what will likely be an expensive recall.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Good on PPU. Noticed an ongoing issue and created an actual fix. Could've just as easily blamed the handful of guns that were destined to KB.

Instills confidence in using their ammo, to me anyways.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Would this apply to once fired brass that could be reloaded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssGasOrBrass View Post
    Would this apply to once fired brass that could be reloaded?

Yes.

Also curious is that the company states “If you have any 6.5 Grendel ammunition or brass manufactured by PPU…” you should contact the company to “…arrange for its return and replacement.” (again – emphasis theirs) This could suggest a metallurgical problem with the brass.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...el-ammo-brass/

Feedback Score
    It's got to be that we're only hearing part of the story. Am I correct to assume that there is a SAAMI and/or C.I.P. specification for the 6.5 Grendel? If so, the ammo either meets that specification or it doesn't. Rifles either meet that specification or they don't. Recalling the ammo because somebody screwed up rifles does not make sense. I guess I'll be sending mine back. I'm taking forever to build my rifle, so I guess that's a good thing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Browsing the 6.5 Grendel forum will reveal a vast number of problems with this caliber in ARs. My guess is that the ammo manufacturer elected to get out while it could rather than stay and be blamed for somebody else's mechanical failures.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is the contact email for anyone interested: info@ppu-usa.com

Personality I have never had any issues with PPU ammo shooting it from my .264 LBC BHW barrel. Not exactly an accurate round but fine for plinking. Not trying to get off topic but I don't know what the differences are between the Grendel variants: Grendel type 1/ Grendel type 2 (which I believe is the SAMMI Spec) and .264 LBC. I have read that "Grendel" is trademarked by Alexander Arms so barrel makers use the .264 LBC Chamber to avoid paying licensing fee... not sure if that's true or not or if it has any relevance to the recall.

Feedback Score
    There's no mention of this on AlexanderArms website. They're still offering Wolf Gold 6.5 Grendel for sale which I'm pretty sure was made by PPU.

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine had a major case failure with this ammo. The bolt head in his AR has to be replaced, and the jurys still out on the barrel. We originally thought it fired out of battery, but a case failure could cause the same issue.

2000 rounds of the stuff is going back, along with the remaining cases. We'll see what happens next, the rifle was definitely no cheapie plinker.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Prvi -Partizan aka PPU recalls all 6.5 Grendel ammo and brass

Below is the reply I received after emailing PPU regarding the recall. I don't have receipts for my ammo/brass and most of what I have is once fired brass so I guess no refund or exchange for me. They have discontinued 6.5 Grendel. My theory is that this is related to paying/not paying royalties to AA for the use of the "Grendel" trademark. I am guessing some legal action was taken against them resulting in the recall. Just a theory....

Below is e-mail received from PPU's US distributor.

Hello,

Thank you for taking time to contact us.
    We currently offer two options:
    1. Reimbursement for the unfired ammunition or brass (Please, provide the receipts)
    2. Exchange for another caliber (we do not offer 6.5 Grendel - it is discontinued)
    In order to receive reimbursement or exchange, we will need to receive 6.5 Grendel to our warehouse.

Please, return the unfired ammo and/or brass via UPS or FedEx to the following address:

TR&Z USA Trading Corp.
    1370 Honeyspot Rd Extension Building B
    Stratford, CT 06615

We will reimburse for shipping to us ( please, e-mail the receipt).
    We will send a check or replacement ammunition as soon as we will receive a return.
    Please, include all your contact information with the returned ammunition.
    If you have any questions, please, do not hesitate to contact me any time.

Thank you

Best Regards,

Nijole Inkrata
    TR&Z USA Trading Corp.

Last edited by AssGasOrBrass; 10-11-16 at 20:10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast