Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quik Clot Combat Gauze -- is it needed when close to help?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quik Clot Combat Gauze -- is it needed when close to help?

In the GSW kit I'm assembling, I already have Celox applicators. The military issues quik clot combat gauze. Do I really need this (I'll be within minutes of Level 1 trauma care)?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Do you know how to use it correctly to pack a wound?

If the answer is no, then no.

The time standard for application of a TQ is 12 seconds. You can be injured, and suffer from loss of consciousness in 20 seconds.

So how many seconds are in a minute?

If you are never going to be shot while more than a few minutes away from your trauma center, then you have a pretty awesome predictive ability. I work literally across the street from a Level 1 trauma center, and carry Quik Clot and a TQ on my ankle every day. Probably because I suck at seeing into the future.

Short answer: Get training, and carry it.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Too many variables. Is the gauze for you or someone else. For rough guesstimate depending on your area a response time average of 5-8 for first unit to arrive let alone triage treat and transport. Is this a mass casualty where there will be a true triage going on, time just increased again? If your question is about "time" unless you are in front of a hospital nothing is "just a few minutes".

If the "combat gauze" is for yourself, do you think you will be of sound mind enough to effectively uses it on yourself? Will you have the fine motor skills / dexterity with the massive adrenaline dump you have going on or will the wound be in a spot you can get it packed in yourself. Will you have the mental fortitude to continue to stick your thumb into a wound, that is already causing acute pain and is inhibiting your ability to think clearly?
    Last edited by dmaxfireman; 10-06-16 at 19:47.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    In the GSW kit I'm assembling, I already have Celox applicators. The military issues quik clot combat gauze. Do I really need this (I'll be within minutes of Level 1 trauma care)?
    No. In fact, if you are talking about a GSW within the primary service area of any kind of Trauma Center, especially a Level 1, then the GSW kit you are assembling is more than likely unnecessary too.

IMHO

Last edited by Hmac; 10-06-16 at 19:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    QC combat gauze is the gold standard. Non-hemo gauze works too if you have some logistics limitations. More than anything else, learn the principle behind how it all works and practice regularly so that you can use whatever you have effectively.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    No. In fact, if you are talking about a GSW within the primary service area of any kind of Trauma Center, especially a Level 1, then the GSW kit you are assembling is more than likely unnecessary too.

IMHO

You're within minutes of a trauma center until your not. You might be able to see the damn place but it still might take an hour to get you there situation depending.

If you have celox, you don't need QC. Most IFAKs are coming with one form of a hemostatic agent.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Knowing what Hmac has shared of his background and occupation, I greatly respect his opinion on all things trauma.

I carry what I carry, because I have the skills and experience to use them. I'm not a stranger to leaking hydraulic fluid. Hmac is definitely no stranger, along with ST911, Sensei and others.

I'd rather have it and not need it. I also use a very spiffy ankle medkit carrier recently placed on the market. So it's not a problem to carry a J-frame on the left ankle, and a medkit on the right.

As several of the posters in this thread have often remarked: "Knowledge trumps gear". Also frequently overheard: "The more I know, the less I can carry".

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I also use a very spiffy ankle medkit carrier recently placed on the market.
    Link?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Link?
    Not sure if this is the one Serious Student has but it's a great piece of kit, very well made and thought out. I bought one when first released back in Feb and have wore it everyday since (work, training classes, and matches that I shoot). In fact I like it so much I just bought 2 more, one for my son for his birthday, and one for my other ankle to carry extra shield mags.
    http://www.rykernylongear.com/

Feedback Score
    AFAIC, if you've got the room to carry it, it's never a bad thing to have.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast