Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is really slick: 10 minute deer processing sans gutting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This is really slick: 10 minute deer processing sans gutting

I gotta say this one could be a game changer for me. Whether or not you adopt all his little tricks I'd reckon you will find at least one nugget in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Wdwjlu9mY

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Good stuff.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Shows me the importance of having the right equipment, and right preparation. And of course a sharp knife!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bow season in 11 days hope I have a chance to put this approach into practice then!

Feedback Score
    I certainly appreciate the efficiency and I love a good sharp knife. Learning to properly sharpen has paid dividends for me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnp82DWMCE

I prefer this method. Simple, clean, and quick.

Feedback Score

This is really slick: 10 minute deer processing sans gutting

As long as it's below 40 degrees and above freezing you should be gtg. I've heard some people let them hang for two weeks. But the longest we hung one was 10 days and it was tender as all get out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mballz23; 12-09-16 at 23:39.
    Like pictures of guns, dogs, and trucks? Me too. Let's be friends, or not, whatever you want to do. Just an option
    Instagram

Psalm 140:4
    Profile pic by 556 Productions

Feedback Score
    Wierd. Mine skinned out very easily (within a couple hours of kill), and was very tender. The gamey taste is what I'm talking about, it seems people that hang them have more gamey taste. Mine never does, but people who hang them are very gamey. Maybe they hang them in too warm of weather. Maybe it's what the deer eat. It drives me nuts because the general concensus is exactly opposite of my experiences and I can't figure out why.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    To hang them it definitely has to stay below 40F. Back where I grew up in NE PA it was never a problem and were hung for 7-10 days. Some of the games flavor comes from tainting during the gutting process and because it's cold don't get rinsed quickly. During the rut keep away from those glands on the rear of the buck. They are black because they urinate to get their scent even more musky. Those glands and that urine on your knife will taint meat. Diet also plays somewhat of a role in flavor as does age. Keep hair and bone material off of the meat while processing/skinning as well as the outer hair, dirt and anything else from within the gut groin cavity. Have multiple knives in case you don't have a way to clean a knife that might have been slightly tainted with any of those items.

The last thing to get off the meat once you've got it rinsed and cooled off is to get back and get all of the silver skin and sinew off the meat - even if you lose a little meat it will be worth it. The longer that is attached the more gamey the flavor.

Lastly, for a great ball tip roast I put whole cloves of garlic into the meat and roast it in french onion soup. Never over cook the meat to well done on any game unless you want that gamey flavor to come out. Medium rare to medium at a maximum will keep all but the great grandpa buck tender and rarely gamey.
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 12-10-16 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    I gut ASAP, then get the hide off ASAP too. Quarter out, peel back straps, remove any other meat that's good (ribs if time allows)and throw in coolers full of ice. I'll let the meat settle in ice/water for a couple of days, draining bloody water and replenishing as needed. Much of the meat's flavor come's from the deers' forage, which around the Ozarks boonies are acorns and such. Meat can be a little bitter as comparied to ones that have eatin in milo,alfalfa, and corn...
    Obey Acts 2:38

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast