Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A year of Crossfit, and what it's done for me!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I hear ya. Bench isn't my best either.

Regarding jogging, maybe think about doing higher intensity intervals or actual HIIT if you're planning on doing it before/after your strength session. If you do go the low/slow route, separate the strength session from it as much as possible (6-8+ hours apart) to avoid the concurrent training effect. Look up "concurrent training" if you aren't familiar with it. With your goal of continuing to increase strength, I would at least be aware of the effects.
    I am thinking of doing cardio when I wake up, and strength before bed. Cardio gets me "pumped" for the nightmore than does strength. It keeps me awake during the day if I do cardio too late in the morning.

I used to do strength, then 45 min of slow burn it down cardio sessions like jogging or stairmaster. It worked really well for ME.That said, I will try what you're saying because I see the logic in it. 2 metabolic stimulations vs 1, as well as the harmful chemicals released after about 1 hour of physical strenuous activity.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I am thinking of doing cardio when I wake up, and strength before bed. Cardio gets me "pumped" for the nightmore than does strength. It keeps me awake during the day if I do cardio too late in the morning.

I used to do strength, then 45 min of slow burn it down cardio sessions like jogging or stairmaster. It worked really well for ME.That said, I will try what you're saying because I see the logic in it. 2 metabolic stimulations vs 1, as well as the harmful chemicals released after about 1 hour of physical strenuous activity.
    The 2 totally different metabolic stimulations is the main issue that the concurrent training theory (interference phenomenon) addresses. Not quite sure what you're referring to regarding the harmful chemicals after physical activity?

But your plan of cardio in the morning and strength in afternoon is ideal, from my current understanding. Endurance training (low intensity) doesn't have as long of a metabolic response as strength training does (post workout), so having that set first in the day allows your body to be ready for the second session faster than if you switched the two around.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    The 2 totally different metabolic stimulations is the main issue that the concurrent training theory (interference phenomenon) addresses. Not quite sure what you're referring to regarding the harmful chemicals after physical activity?

But your plan of cardio in the morning and strength in afternoon is ideal, from my current understanding. Endurance training (low intensity) doesn't have as long of a metabolic response as strength training does (post workout), so having that set first in the day allows your body to be ready for the second session faster than if you switched the two around.
    Cortisol after 60+ minutes of training bumps up significantly.
    I will invert what I told you then, as you read it thinking I sleep at night, and I typed it knowing I sleep during the day. We misunderstood each other, but I gleaned from your message that I was planning to do things "backwards". Thank-you!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Cortisol after 60+ minutes of training bumps up significantly.
    I will invert what I told you then, as you read it thinking I sleep at night, and I typed it knowing I sleep during the day. We misunderstood each other, but I gleaned from your message that I was planning to do things "backwards". Thank-you!
    Ah ok, I thought it was worded a little differently but I assumed there...but I wouldn't change your plan based on what I said. Do what feels best for you. If I felt better lifting in the morning, then I would. Your original schedule is actually the same exact thing as mine, just different time of day. Important thing is just giving it some time between sessions. Sounds like you will.

Regarding cortisol, there are definitely things I could learn to better my understanding about it, but I don't know that I would worry too much about it unless there's a medical reason for it. Cortisol raises regardless after any stressful stimulus (workout or other), so as long as your diet and lifestyle habits are squared away, you'll recover just fine from it. From my understanding, if you were really concerned with it, you could take a supplement (dextrose) or eat carbs post workout to spike insulin to counteract cortisol, but, if your diet is good enough, you shouldn't need to worry about nutrient timing.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Did a deadlift after work this morning (along with back day).

I guess now I'm in the 1000# club?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

OHP is up 15# since I quite CF

Feedback Score
    Set-up on the deadlift looked pretty good from this angle. Couldn't see your hand or foot positions. I will say this: Lower the weight under control (not slowly, but controlled) once you have completed the rep. No need to drop the weight.

OHP: Get set up before pressing. You looked pretty anxious to press the weight - you lifted it about a split second after unracking the weight. Get set, tighten your body (glutes, lats, abs, flex everything), and violently push the weight up.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Set-up on the deadlift looked pretty good from this angle. Couldn't see your hand or foot positions. I will say this: Lower the weight under control (not slowly, but controlled) once you have completed the rep. No need to drop the weight.
    I typically do, but it's not required for the lift to count, and I was tired.

OHP: Get set up before pressing. You looked pretty anxious to press the weight - you lifted it about a split second after unracking the weight. Get set, tighten your body (glutes, lats, abs, flex everything), and violently push the weight up.
    TY! I will do that on my next heavy OHP attempt. I agree I should have been tighter.

Feedback Score
    Also, I dunno about you but I really have to watch how I hold my breath on heavy OHP attempts - it tends to make me dizzy if I try to do it like I do on squats. I have to breathe in through my nose to alleviate that.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Also, I dunno about you but I really have to watch how I hold my breath on heavy OHP attempts - it tends to make me dizzy if I try to do it like I do on squats. I have to breathe in through my nose to alleviate that.
    I just breath in and hold. I'm not much good at any lift, but I've never found an issue with this one. I do a lot of front squats which make it feel light.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast