Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: A year of Crossfit, and what it's done for me!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Brah, do you even lift brah?

I kid I kid.
    lol, on a serious note though, I'm lifting as a lifestyle/for longevity. Not to burn out at age 21-24 for an Olympic bid.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    love my Inzer Lever 10mm, they keep black in stock but it takes a while to order other colors. Pricey, but it is a once in a lifetime purchase.
    I have a nice belt that I haven't worn in years.

Decided a long time ago that I wanted my core to be strong and I've lifted the same or more without a belt as before.

Nothing wrong with being gym strong but I like it to carry over to the real world as well.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post

Decided a long time ago that I wanted my core to be strong and I've lifted the same or more without a belt as before.

Nothing wrong with being gym strong but I like it to carry over to the real world as well.
    Same here, minus ever having one. I wear wrist-wraps for Cleans, etc. though. Never wore any braces or knee stuff or back stuff. If you can't lift it without that, then you shouldn't be lifting it. My .02

Feedback Score
    I don't really compete either. I just like lifting heavy shit.

@ the gym strong comment: if you do it right, the strength transfers. There is no difference in strength dependent upon where you are. I've been in the gym since I was 16 (30 now) and have done blue collar work almost all my adult life. If you're weak, you're weak.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    I don't really compete either. I just like lifting heavy shit.

@ the gym strong comment: if you do it right, the strength transfers. There is no difference in strength dependent upon where you are. I've been in the gym since I was 16 (30 now) and have done blue collar work almost all my adult life. If you're weak, you're weak.
    I dunno about that. My grandpa could lift a Ford 351 engine block over his head, back in the day. Never did lift any weights. I somehow doubt he could do an amazing power-clean though, but we will never know

My Dad on the other hand, I could destroy his lifts, but he does carpet cleaning and moves furniture, and I'll be the first to admit he can put in a solid 12-16 hour day doing this, and do it every day that week, and it would eat my lunch. but when it comes to violent psych patients or fat people down, I'm the guy you'd want to call.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post

Very common misconception about what a belt is and why it is used.

I see about 90% of people using the wrong kind of belt(tapered) and wearing it wrong(too low).

They are not meant to supplement core strength, they are meant to be used as a limiter(think of it as a barrel band) when you brace your abdominal wall essentially filling your lower cavity and pressing your guts against your spine to keep it in place and free from compression.

No amount of core strength will keep your disks where they should be when you start going heavy.
    Last edited by Digital_Damage; 02-22-17 at 05:39.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Same here, minus ever having one. I wear wrist-wraps for Cleans, etc. though. Never wore any braces or knee stuff or back stuff. If you can't lift it without that, then you shouldn't be lifting it. My .02
    Knee sleeves do not provide support, they keep the joints warm. Warm knee tendons will prevent injury.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I dunno about that. My grandpa could lift a Ford 351 engine block over his head, back in the day. Never did lift any weights. I somehow doubt he could do an amazing power-clean though, but we will never know

My Dad on the other hand, I could destroy his lifts, but he does carpet cleaning and moves furniture, and I'll be the first to admit he can put in a solid 12-16 hour day doing this, and do it every day that week, and it would eat my lunch. but when it comes to violent psych patients or fat people down, I'm the guy you'd want to call.
    Sorry about your grandpa. But yeah, with strength like that, it comes fast when technique is dialed in, because the strength is already there. It's the same vice versa. Different movements your body isn't used to will always look a little ugly at first. I bet with a little training your grandpa would have put up some mean numbers on the power clean or any other lift he had decided to train.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Knee sleeves do not provide support, they keep the joints warm. Warm knee tendons will prevent injury.
    Serious? Did not know that.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Very common misconception about what a belt is and why it is used.

I see about 90% of people using the wrong kind of belt(tapered) and wearing it wrong(too low).

They are not meant to supplement core strength, they are meant to be used as a limiter(think of it as a barrel band) when you brace your abdominal wall essentially filling your lower cavity and pressing your guts against your spine to keep it in place and free from compression.

No amount of core strength will keep your disks where they should be when you start going heavy.
    Interesting. I want to look further into that.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast