Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are these results standard for the BCM SS410 barrels?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    I bought the BCM SS410 18" 1/6 twist upper w/VTAC rail on 2/25/2015 and my accuracy results mirror yours. I am very disappointed in this rifle as it was going to be my primary coyote gun. While the accuracy is not bad its not great as I was looking for groups that I could cover a five shot group with a quarter. As for the crown on my barrel it could have been damaged when received it but I put a AAC 51T mount on it right after I got it. I think I may remove the mount to double check after see others having the same problem with this upper. For testing I was outside shooting from a concrete bench at 100 yards with a sandbag for my front rest. For comparison results I shot my BCM 16" Mid-length with a 1/7 twist with the same ammo and it shot almost as well as the SS410 barrel. Testing protocol was to fire a five shot group, let the barrel cool, fire a five shot group suppressed, and then fire a five shot group with the Middy to compare.Attachment 42059
    Ammo used was:
    64gr Berger with 24.1 grains of Varget (second best group)Attachment 42060Attachment 42061
    55gr Hornady V-Max with 24.6 grains of Varget
    62gr SS109 Lake City
    75gr Hornady BTHP with 22.8 grains of Varget (my most accurate load suppressed)
    62gr SS109 24.1 grains of Varget (my version of green tip)
    55gr Hornady FMJ-BT with 24.6 grains of Varget (nice group in the middy)

Optic is a Trijicon TR24-3 German #4 1-4x24
    Looks like I need to contact Bravo Company and return my upper.
    You have a 18" BCM barrel with a 1/6 twist?
    RLTW
    Danger Close Knows No Atheists.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit47 View Post
    So were you able to get some pics or inspect the crown.
    No, I wussed out. I didn't want to remove the flash hider and potentially mar/damage anything and it bite me in the rear as far as warranty goes. When I looked down the muzzle device/crown I notice a 3-5mm gap between the crown and the base of the muzzle device. I.e. gases could hit this "gap"/chamber before hitting the actual muzzle device. The crown did look pretty flat as I was able to see it since the muzzle device wasn't seated against the crown/barrel due to gap mentioned. However, it could be a small one. I guess I'm at the mercy of BCM at this point. Hope to hear back from them soon...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker6 View Post
    You have a 18" BCM barrel with a 1/6 twist?
    Thanks, I fixed it 1/8 twist

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My BCM 16 SS410 shoots groups like that with cheap 55 grn FMJ ammo. I think in the contest we had prior it averaged 1.9 MOA with that 55 grn ammo.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Well a few days after receiving the upper, a BCM rep called me. Essentially he just had a lot of questions regarding testing method, ammo used, etc. Rep essentially said these barrels are all sub-moa and they have never had a problem before. Said he was going to bore scope it and test it further. I never heard anything back, but I did receive tracking info via email. A day or two later and a brand new BCM SS410 upper arrived. They handled the issued as far as I'm concerned and replaced the product. It would have been nice to hear what their findings (if any) were, but I'm not too picky.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Great to hear they sent you a new upper. Update us on how this one shoots. My ss410 will not group better than about 1.5 moa which is dissapointing. I'm still going through different loads to find something that will group better but I may have to contact them as well.
    Men are not here to gain worldly comfort, they are here to strike a blow against evil and leave a mark on their world. ~Dennis Rainey

Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter. ~ Francis Chan

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm going to load up some Hornady 68gr. BTHP's and give them a shot. If that does not work it's going back to BCM.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReRun View Post
    Great to hear they sent you a new upper. Update us on how this one shoots. My ss410 will not group better than about 1.5 moa which is dissapointing. I'm still going through different loads to find something that will group better but I may have to contact them as well.
    Sorry to be anti-climatic but I've listed it for sale. I'm not going to bother. For a high quality, reliable shooter; BCM all day. For precision, I'm pursuing other avenues.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's not the first time a supposably really nice setup doesn't shoot well. I've seen it probably at least a dozen times last 15 years or so.

Used to have an ArmaLite M15 that was just rack grade as could be, with a 1 in 9 twist. That gun out shot a very high-dollar Bushmaster varminter that all kinds of money put into it, and some other custom gun that I have no idea who even built it. Both were running hand loads, really top end Optics, pretty much everything you could put on the guns.

All my ArmaLite had was an armalite two-stage tactical trigger, a crap ass 3-point sling, Burris full-field II 4.5 by 14 scope, and very un-tacticool CAA stock from back in the day. With the Federal 50 grain jhp rounds that Walmart used to sell in their value packs, (which they no longer sell and sucks very much), that gun would absolutely destroy the other two guns inside of 250 yards. Not even in the same zip code performance wise. It would leave ragged holes at 100. Just a complete freak of nature. I hate myself for selling that gun now.....

Someone left a little Red Bull can out on the 200-yard berm that day, within one magazine, I walked up that little can clear up the berm and over hitting it every single time.

The guys that had the big custom guns were pissed as can be.( One of them was the older brother of a guy I went to high school with.)And rightfully so, I would be really upset if I was them too.

It sucks, and sometimes it just happens that way.

I agree with everyone saying that people over clean their guns. I don't get crazy cleaning barrels at all. If anything, I under clean them. I don't think cleaning solves any problems. Just wears them out faster.

Two weeks ago I was at a local range and saw a guy that cleaned every single round. And his gun was at best 3 Moa. The one target looked 5-6 moa at 100 with my spoting scope. Had one target with a buddies gun ( ghetto fabulous ptac) that we were setting up a scope for it that out shot the guy next doors custom bolt gun, with wolf ammo no less...

The take home is don't just assume because you spent a bunch of money that is going to be a track driver. For no more than I've been out in the world, I've seen it not work out all too often.
    Last edited by cbx; 11-18-16 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Sorry to be anti-climatic but I've listed it for sale. I'm not going to bother. For a high quality, reliable shooter; BCM all day. For precision, I'm pursuing other avenues.
    I think you might be really missing out by not at least trying the new upper. My BCM SS upper has yet to shoot match ammo over 1 MOA on the few occasions I've sat down to group it. And I dont even consider myself to be that great of a precision rifleman. Hell on a decent day when Im on my game it consistently shoots bulk 55 grain ammo under 2 MOA.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345