Thread: Fundamentals of Combat Casualty Care

Feedback Score

Fundamentals of Combat Casualty Care

Nice summary on trauma care in the field from the military perspective. FYI-

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/borden/...c/uclachp3.pdf

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks for the link, knowledge is always good.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Nice. I knew CAPT/Dr. Butler "back when," and when I was a very, VERY junior corpsman he was very patient with me when I was asking detailed questions about TCCC. This was 1998ish. If he really wanted to put the hammer down he could have as I went around and over all sorts of CoC's to pick his brain about trauma.

A couple points.

1, there is research that shows pre-hospital antibiotic prophylaxis in the tactical setting is neither helpful nor hurtful (Journal of Trauma, Aug 2011). This document says otherwise (page 102). I look forward to following this more.

2, note the QuikClot vs other stuff debate on page 95. How to correctly apply the dressing makes much more difference than the brand of hemostatic dressing.

I did not see what edition or printing this was so not sure of its date. It does point out on page 93 that civilian LE has adopted some of TCCC, so I figure it's not super old. Can anyone advise?

Feedback Score
    Sorry I didn't include the full reference, but it had to be reasonably current since the references are at least as modern as 2010. This chapter comes from the following text:
    Combat Casualty Care: Lessons Learned from Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom, Katz D & Eastridge B, editors. Borden Institute, Ft. Detrick, MD. 2012.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tower59 View Post
    Sorry I didn't include the full reference, but it had to be reasonably current since the references are at least as modern as 2010. This chapter comes from the following text:
    Combat Casualty Care: Lessons Learned from Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom, Katz D & Eastridge B, editors. Borden Institute, Ft. Detrick, MD. 2012.
    Good stuff. Thanks for posting.