Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting under cars

Feedback Score

Shooting under cars

Disclaimer, I'm not a pro, and haven't taken a course...

I see vids of guys shooting under cars and other barriers. Is that really practical? It seems it leaves you vulnerable if they (the threat) move around the vehicle, and unlikely that you'd be able to hit a foot or leg on a moving threat, or even a still one (small target).

The only way I could see it being used if if a threat was prone out or vitals were somehow able to be hit from that position, but I'd like to hear your thought, as I don't know what I don't know!

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Did anyone train to shoot under cars prior the North Hollywood shoot out? If not, there's your answer.

I see shooting from awkward positions more as a familiarity exercise. When and if the time comes, a person knows what to expect and an efficient manner to utilize whatever position it may be.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shooting under a motor vehicle has a practical application. It is but one tool in a large toolbox. If things have progressed to that point in a violent encounter, you shoot what you can get, a leg, foot, etc. Once the attacker goes low due to injury, you have better target areas to stop the threat.

One important thing to bear in mind when you go low is that the threat can shoot under the vehicle to engage you. You should be prepared to move behind a wheel or get back on your feet and displace quickly.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Shooting under a motor vehicle has a practical application. It is but one tool in a large toolbox. If things have progressed to that point in a violent encounter, you shoot what you can get, a leg, foot, etc. Once the attacker goes low due to injury, you have better target areas to stop the threat.

One important thing to bear in mind when you go low is that the threat can shoot under the vehicle to engage you. You should be prepared to move behind a wheel or get back on your feet and displace quickly.
    This.

It is also not a go to method when a threat is directly on the other side of a vehicle or a short enough distance on the other side where they can close the distance before you can maneuver out of that position. Like mentioned, another tool in the toolbox.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just took a 2-day vehicle combatives course with Dave Spaulding. We shot under cars, out of cars, into cars, through cars...it was very very interesting. We did practice shooting feet while laying on the ground, but also practiced ricocheting a bullet under the car by shooting at the ground next to it while standing, as well as ricocheting bullets off the hood, and off the windshield. We shot through windshields and car doors into gelatin and noted how the effects on the bullet. We shot targets from inside the car through the windshield to note the effect of the laminated glass on the trajectory. I was amazed.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I just took a 2-day vehicle combatives course with Dave Spaulding. We shot under cars, out of cars, into cars, through cars...it was very very interesting. We did practice shooting feet while laying on the ground, but also practiced ricocheting a bullet under the car by shooting at the ground next to it while standing, as well as ricocheting bullets off the hood, and off the windshield. We shot through windshields and car doors into gelatin and noted how the effects on the bullet. We shot targets from inside the car through the windshield to note the effect of the laminated glass on the trajectory. I was amazed.
    Sounds like you had fun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mike Pannone had a great Gunfighter Moment on the topic: "Cover, Concealment and Vehicles"
    http://soldiersystems.net/2016/03/12...ke-pannone-36/

The concept of a vehicle as some special item is often misplaced. From a tactical perspective it is only a vehicle when it is moving. When static it is part of the terrain and may offer cover, concealment or just function as an obstacle.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Mike Pannone had a great Gunfighter Moment on the topic: "Cover, Concealment and Vehicles"
    FWIW, Petty and Pannone have supposedly hugged it out. Hopefully it was just a simple personality clash coupled with both sides being too entrenched to see the validity of each other's side (kinda like the Ken Good/Darryl Bolke purse fights about low-light back in the day, where both sides eventually realized that the other side had very valid reasons for doing what they did).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post

I like this quote from the article: "Don’t fight from the ground unless it is the last option you have. It is too easy to lose track of an adversary and across the hood or around a car it’s really just “who gets seen first gets shot first”. If an adversary rushes the vehicle you will not be able to counter his actions in a timely manner while trying to get up. Know how to do it but understand that fighting from the ground is a last resort."
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I like this quote from the article: "Don’t fight from the ground unless it is the last option you have. It is too easy to lose track of an adversary and across the hood or around a car it’s really just “who gets seen first gets shot first”. If an adversary rushes the vehicle you will not be able to counter his actions in a timely manner while trying to get up. Know how to do it but understand that fighting from the ground is a last resort."
    Coupled with that thought, I refuse to give up maneuverability in exchange for concealment and only give it up if forced to for cover. Cover for you is just an obstacle to overcome for your adversary and vice versa.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast