Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting under cars

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shooting under cars

Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    One important thing to bear in mind when you go low is that the threat can shoot under the vehicle to engage you. You should be prepared to move behind a wheel or get back on your feet and displace quickly.
    I think one thing to consider with this is the trajectory of the bullet coming from the bad guys gun. In order for them to have a clean shot, I would think it necessary for them to come down to your level. If they were standing or even kneeling I would think their rounds would impact the ground before going under and to the opposite side of the car. I guess distance would be the biggest factor with this.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 10-11-16 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies, makes sense.

Feedback Score
    Also keep in mind that many folks have trucks. Laying on the side of a truck you can hit something head height not too far away. think of it as cover/concealment you can shoot 4 ways around not 3.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Vehicle Bases classes are eye opening, you should def take a couple. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yBwPWSptaZs
    This is a birds eye view of drill Petty and Chris (Veil Solutions) filmed by Abner Mitanda, shot in a recent Talon Defense class. I got the pleasure of attending this class and meeting Petty as well as getting a excellent scientific ballistic demonstration. Chase really teaches a hell of a class, and them induced malf really learn ya good!
    ETA: another vid of class https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A2pYHoRso68. Just realized second vid is birds eye view first has ballistics demo. My bad.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 10-11-16 at 18:29.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I think one thing to consider with this is the trajectory of the bullet coming from the bad guys gun. In order for them to have a clean shot, I would think it necessary for them to come down to your level. If they were standing or even kneeling I would think their rounds would impact the ground before going under and to the opposite side of the car. I guess distance would be the biggest factor with this.
    If you are laying on the ground without the benefit of an axle/wheel system for cover, a person could lay their rifle on the deck and fire shots along the ground without getting low. If you are behind a sedan, there is not much lateral area for them to cover.

Shooting around vehicles is not an ideal situation. Most people are around motor vehicles everyday of their lives. If that is the environment we live in, it is an environment we should train in.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-11-16 at 22:43. Reason: Deleted work product
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Shooting around vehicles is not an ideal situation. Most people are around motor vehicles everyday of their lives. If that is the environment we live in, it is an environment we should train in.
    Whole lot of truth.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Go out to a range and put some targets so they are touching the ground - get about 25 yards back and shoot at the the target, only have your round strike the ground about 8-10 yards away from the target. See where it goes. The departure angle is always (almost always) smaller than the arrival angle. Try it on concrete, asphalt, gravel road, and turf, with differing rounds and weapons.

Physics hasn't changed much in 46 years: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Photocopy/6895NCJRS.pdf

It is a hoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just got back from a rifle instructor course. One of the drills I had them do was crouching, to kneeling to sitting, to what I called 'legs forward' strong side and weak side rollover prone. At intermediate ranges (beyond 25 yards) it helps you get a target look at the guy from a different, hopefully unexpected angle. Younger, more agile guys, can move through the positions fairly quickly, you want to arrive ready to get hits, and be ready to get up and to another position.

One good thing about what I've described, is the feet forward position makes sure your muzzle is back from the vehicle, making it not quite as bad as when you fire with your muzzle under the vehicle and the last 100,00 miles of dust and crap gets in your eyes, nose, mouth and ears.

One downfall is it increases the distance the guy has to be from you to get a good solid torso hit.

You have to weigh the pros and cons of any position which decreases your mobility - think it through, don't just accept what a trainer tells you, if you adopt the tactic you could be betting your life it works.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I want to add one more thought - it is good to be able to work a car over, around and under. You have to remember if your car is parked against a curb, you won't be able to shoot under most 'cars' vs. SUV's or trucks, from curbside and from street side the curb dramatically narrows your field of view and fire.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good info 26 Inf. Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast