Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Varmint/Target Project Savage 110

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Varmint/Target Project Savage 110

Was in my LGS this weekend buying a couple Henry Golden Boy youth models to put up for my 2 sons, when I stumbled across a mid-80s vintage Savage 110E in .30-06. Been wanting to build a varmint/target rifle so I was interested and couldn't walk away when they said they'd do $150 OTD. Figure with a base of $150, I can make a pretty decent budget rifle.

Currently thinking about re-barreling in 6.5CM or maybe 6.5x55. Leaning 6.5CM just because there's more ammo available off the shelf at my LGSs local Cabelas, etc etc. Only concern is operation of the SA cartridge in a LA.

Also going to restock if anyone could suggest any I might want to look at that won't cost the previously mentioned sons. Have already been looking at the Boyds, full bed Hogues and the Chaote. Not really thrilled with any of those though.

Top is the Savage, bottom is a Type 99 Arisaka with intact mum that was unfortunately sporterized. Couldn't leave it behind when the guy said $125 OTD though. Last 2 pics are the arisaka.

Last edited by nova3930; 10-11-16 at 11:54.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Someone told me a lot of those Arisaka's were sporterized because they had to fit in a duffle bag/Sea bag to make it back. If any part of it was sticking out of the bag, it couldn't go.
    I don't know how true that was, but I have one in my safe that had the same thing done to the stock. I've never shot it, but I hear the were considered "junk" at the time, but unless it was built in the latter war years, they are known to have a very strong action.
    I hope you will keep us updated on your Savage project, I have a 111 in my safe that hasn't seen much range time, so if it works out for you I might pursue something like that with mine.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    yeah I don't know. on my arisaka they didn't shorten the barrel any, they just cut off a lot of the forearm. wish someone would make a repro stock, originals are scarce and expensive.

coworker nearly has me convinced to mill out and bed the factory savage stock to accommodate a heavy barrel. have 90% of the stuff to do it so why not. might even make the pillars myself on the lathe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    yeah I don't know. on my arisaka they didn't shorten the barrel any, they just cut off a lot of the forearm. wish someone would make a repro stock, originals are scarce and expensive.

coworker nearly has me convinced to mill out and bed the factory savage stock to accommodate a heavy barrel. have 90% of the stuff to do it so why not. might even make the pillars myself on the lathe

I think I paid like $16.00 for a set of pillars and a bedding kit. I ended up giving the to a friend before I could use them,..LOL.What can I say, he helped me out more than once.
    They didn't need to cut the Arisaka barrels the Barrel and Action together were shorter than the entire stock. I did some research when I first got mine and there is some interesting stuff out there.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    did decide to go that route. 6.5CM barrel is on the way along with bedding compound. got a small lathe and some aluminum stock so I'm gonna make my own pillars.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    figure if I screw it up I'm only out $30 for the devcon bedding compound and it's kinda like jb weld, good for lots of stuff

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    cut wood tonight so I'm committed. dialed in the mill, located centerline of the stock and longitudinal center of rear hole. cut then dialed in the screw spacing and cut again. everything should be closely aligned once bonded.

hope to cut the pillars on the lathe tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    Was in my LGS this weekend buying a couple Henry Golden Boy youth models to put up for my 2 sons, when I stumbled across a mid-80s vintage Savage 110E in .30-06. Been wanting to build a varmint/target rifle so I was interested and couldn't walk away when they said they'd do $150 OTD. Figure with a base of $150, I can make a pretty decent budget rifle.

Currently thinking about re-barreling in 6.5CM or maybe 6.5x55. Leaning 6.5CM just because there's more ammo available off the shelf at my LGSs local Cabelas, etc etc. Only concern is operation of the SA cartridge in a LA.
    Don't sweat running a SA cart in a LA. Every Tikka is a long action regardless of the cart it fires.

Go over to Savageshooters forum and there'll likely be info for you (good folks as well).

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    How about a 260 Remington?
    JM

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Don't sweat running a SA cart in a LA. Every Tikka is a long action regardless of the cart it fires.

Go over to Savageshooters forum and there'll likely be info for you (good folks as well).

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Jimmy
    Thanks. Yeah that's what I've ascertained as well in my research.

Only issue I'm seeing is on the rear pillar, the relief inlet for the trigger was so big I've got nothing on the back side of the pillar. I may need to build that back up with some bedding material to make sure it's sufficiently secured and then machine a minimal inlet for the trigger.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast