Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Varmint/Target Project Savage 110

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn1940 View Post
    How about a 260 Remington?
    JM
    I considered 260 along with 6.5x55 and a pile of other possibilities (6.5-06 was interesting since it was already a 30-06 rifle and that brass and 25-06 brass is everywhere) but the availability/price of factory 6.5CM ammo won out. I have reloading gear, but between work, the wife working more than full time and two small kids, reloading time eats into shooting and other projects.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When bedding a Savage, the rear tang should float. Any pressure there will result in very poor accuracy.

Not to try to make this a more expensive project, but you might think about replacing the barrel nut, and recoil lug as long as you have a whole thing in pieces.

Speaking of which, if you do not have an action vise and nut wrench, let me know. We can probably figure out a way for you to borrow mine.

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    When bedding a Savage, the rear tang should float. Any pressure there will result in very poor accuracy.

Not to try to make this a more expensive project, but you might think about replacing the barrel nut, and recoil lug as long as you have a whole thing in pieces.

Speaking of which, if you do not have an action vise and nut wrench, let me know. We can probably figure out a way for you to borrow mine.

Jimmy
    roger that on the tang. didn't know that. thanks.

recoil lug should be here today. if you think the nut will make a difference they don't cost that much.

nut wrench should be coming with the recoil lug.

action wrench I was planning to use either a strap wrench or make something, although not sure exactly what on the latter. if you think I'm in for trouble I might shell out for a wrench. never turn down the opportunity to buy tools, especially since I might do this again later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    roger that on the tang. didn't know that. thanks.

recoil lug should be here today. if you think the nut will make a difference they don't cost that much.

nut wrench should be coming with the recoil lug.

action wrench I was planning to use either a strap wrench or make something, although not sure exactly what on the latter. if you think I'm in for trouble I might shell out for a wrench. never turn down the opportunity to buy tools, especially since I might do this again later.

If you're going all in, a paid membership to Savageshooters lets you into the classifieds and in-depth articles. Either would be worth the price of admission alone, but combined it's easily worth the $12.

My go to for almost everything else, is Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply (http://northlandshooterssupply.com/tools/). It's a total mom-and-pop operation. As such, don't order piecemeal because shipping costs will kill you, and the only real way to get a hold of them is calling. Just have patience, because Jim is kind enough to walk anyone through their build piece-by-piece to make sure they have everything they need (his wife is no slouch either).

Jimmy

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    If you're going all in, a paid membership to Savageshooters lets you into the classifieds and in-depth articles. Either would be worth the price of admission alone, but combined it's easily worth the $12.

My go to for almost everything else, is Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply (http://northlandshooterssupply.com/tools/). It's a total mom-and-pop operation. As such, don't order piecemeal because shipping costs will kill you, and the only real way to get a hold of them is calling. Just have patience, because Jim is kind enough to walk anyone through their build piece-by-piece to make sure they have everything they need (his wife is no slouch either).

Jimmy
    Thanks. I'll have to look into both of those.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Action wrench, barrel vice, SSS barrel nut, scope rail and trigger guard on the way. On the last I figured why not, the old one is plastic so I snagged a metal one...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    pillars I turned out on the lathe from 5/8 6061 round. not really complete since I didn't have the 1/2 countersink I thought I did. intentionally left the surface finish a bit rough to help the bedding epoxy adhere. kinda stalled out till the rest of the tools get here now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    pillars I turned out on the lathe from 5/8 6061 round. not really complete since I didn't have the 1/2 countersink I thought I did. intentionally left the surface finish a bit rough to help the bedding epoxy adhere. kinda stalled out till the rest of the tools get here now.
    Well done sir.

Welcome to your new addiction ;/

Jimmy

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Well done sir.

Welcome to your new addiction ;/

Jimmy
    yeah this is fun. won't be the last for sure. no telling how goofy I'll go if I ever get lathe thats true enough to do real precision work on. my old 1952 vintage south bend is just too worn for that...

Feedback Score
    I have an old Savage pre-accutrigger 110 tactical in 308. They put a longer spacer block behind the bolt head to shorten travel for the shorter cartridge, and the magazine spacer is at the rear as well. This makes it feed from the same distance away from the chamber, and you're not pulling the bolt all the way as far as it can go. You might want to check into the other bolt block, and a short cartridge mag box and follower. It works just fine that way.
    I put mine in a composite bell and Carlson, I think it was pillar bedded, but I glassed it anyway. Now, they have a full aluminum bedding block.
    Haven't tried northland, but got some stuff from sharpshootersupply.com. Pretty much all they do is Savage also.

I ended up doing a custom mag conversion.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast