Thread: Malkoff, Arisaka, Surefire combo

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Malkoff, Arisaka, Surefire combo

I have mini scout built from these components that has been in my truck since I got it and hasnt been abused in anyway. I use it every once in a while and when I went to use it yesterday it wouldnt light up. Ive tried 5 or 6 brand new batteries and still got nothing, so before I contact any of these companies do any of you have an idea on what the problem could be?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You don't happen to have or know someone who has a similar/compatible light? Maybe you could isolate where the issue is? Such as head, bad connection through the body or a bad switch?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    You don't happen to have or know someone who has a similar/compatible light? Maybe you could isolate where the issue is? Such as head, bad connection through the body or a bad switch?
    No, I thought about this but do not have another light to test it on.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Contact Slippers. It may be as simple as removing some of the anodizing on the front edge of the light body. I had to do this on my early version of the mini scout light I have. In fact, you could try this now.

1. take of the head of the light, and

2. without going ape shit... remove some of the anodizing on the inner lip of the tube.

3. re-assemble and test.

(you can also test this by turning the light on and torquing on the head laterally. It'll cause the circuit to close and the light to fire... then you'll know you need to modify the body as stated above.)
    Last edited by markm; 10-14-16 at 19:46.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Contact Slippers. It may be as simple as removing some of the anodizing on the front edge of the light body. I had to do this on my early version of the mini scout light I have. In fact, you could try this now.

1. take of the head of the light, and

2. without going ape shit... remove some of the anodizing on the inner lip of the tube.

3. re-assemble and test.

(you can also test this by turning the light on and torquing on the head laterally. It'll cause the circuit to close and the light to fire... then you'll know you need to modify the body as stated above.)
    I was going to suggest the same. I remember when I bought mine this is what slippers suggested and haven't had any issues since.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    The bodies from the very first run (2014) had a large chamfer on the inside lip where the head came in contact. This was fine with Surefire heads, but the Malkoff heads have a smaller diameter contact surface, so there were potentially issues depending on alignment and anodizing. This was resolved in later production runs of the bodies starting from early 2015.

If you have one of the really old ones it's no problem to swap it out and see if this takes care of the issue. You're also welcome to send me the whole light and I can troubleshoot it since it may also be the head or tailcap.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Wow thats some awesome customer service. Before I worry about sending it to you im gonna try the method recommended above and see if it takes care of the problem.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I did what markm suggested and it took care of the problem, it fired right up after i reassembled it. Thanks for the help.