Thread: Berry's HHP 124gr 9mm Initial Gel Test

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here are some of the latest tests using the Clear Ballistics gel. We made two 16" blocks and laid them end to end.

We fired one bullet of 124 and 147 grain weights into bare gel followed by a shot using the heavy clothing barrier. This new barrier was bought from CB and consists of two layers of cotton, a layer of fleece and a layer of denim.

Results with this barrier vs four layers of denim were pretty much the same.

Here's the 147 in bare gel with an impact velocity of 1,007fps. The bullet penetrated 11" and opened perfectly. The bullet fragments in the second pic are pieces of the 124 HHP that fragmented in the block.

The same bullet/load was a pass through after clothing. There is some disruption visible in the first 12" or so of gel but after that the bullet settled down and left a tiny track through the blocks.

Next up was the 124 HHP with an impact velocity of 1,132. Interestingly this load is .4 grains less than my +P load but is still trucking along.

The 124gr penetrated to 10" but the bullet broke apart.

Next we tried the clothing barrier. The bullet penetrated 16.25" and just barely poked into the second block. The bullet lost one petal and showed minimum expansion.

A third shot with the 124 HHP through clothing resulted in a complete pass through.

All in all, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the Berry's HHP. They look nice, as far as JHP bullets go, and are priced well but the performance just doesn't seem to be there. Granted, they can and do work well in bare gel and will probably work okay after passing through a light barrier like a shirt but they just don't expand with any reliability after a heavy clothing test.

Berry's in still on to something here and with a bit of tweaking I think they'll have a nice bullet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-20-17 at 18:25.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."