Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Berry's HHP 124gr 9mm Initial Gel Test

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'll reread this thread again later. So much info! Thanks for continuing the testing!

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Thanks for the test update,i really like that 147 grain and how it performed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Could the pass throughs be due to the denim causing a fmj type effect?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Could the pass throughs be due to the denim causing a fmj type effect?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    That's my current belief. Should be able to confirm once I devise a way to catch the bullets. Most likely I'll try some water jugs.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Great work & info! Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Chilled block appears to have had no real impact so I need to revisit my choice of barrier material.

Everything I've tried, almost without exception, including my HHP reloads, Speer Gold Dots in 9mm and Federal HST's in 40 have failed to show much expansion when fired through four layers of denim. Either the Levi's denim is too think or I'm not counting four layers correctly or something but I'm seeing icepick tracks through the gel and complete pass-through after hitting the denim.

Going down to only two layers (just a swatch of trouser material folded in half) changes things dramatically and I'm seeing nice expansion and good penetration with a variety of ammo. The Berry 147's seem to work well in this environment as does the 124 Gold Dot. The 124 HHP expands rapidly and will usually drop three or four petals and/or break apart and give 9-10" of penetration. These are loaded to the top end of Berry's recommended velocity.

Anyway I think I'll hit a fabric store this weekend and see if I can't come up with some layers of material that will replicate what the FBI and other LE agencies are using. The denim thing seems to be somewhat of an outdated standard from the IWBA rather than what LE agencies are using currently. Current standard seems to be T-shirt, work shirt and then some sort of insulated or lined denim fabric on top to more realistically simulate winter or cool weather clothing.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 10-21-16 at 10:40.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The fabric store was a bust. No denim heavier than about 8oz and no cotton t-shirt material. I decided to just order the clothing test kit from Clear Ballistics. At least this way I'll have a source for a repeatable supply of clothing material for later on down the road.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    How about some .45 230gr???

Out of the Glock 30 they were perfect, but shot through a G41 they were going a bit too fast and shed their pedals. No chrono... But shot through real 10% gel.

Glock 41 Shot on top, Glock 30 shot on bottom

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What's your load? Should these be running at the Berry's recommended velocity?

Also any clothing barrier used?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 10-27-16 at 05:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We have one gel block formed and ready but we're waiting to form another block. What we're doing now is trying to strain the old dirty gel through a piece of panty hose to clean the denim and small bits of bullet fragment out. Slow going....

In the meantime, I re-chrono'ed the 124 and 147 HHP loads through my Ruger Commander. I'm getting an average of 1,159fps with the 124's and 983.4fps with the 147's. These are loaded with a "+P" charge of Ramshot Silhouette.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast