Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Berry's HHP 124gr 9mm Initial Gel Test

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here are some of the latest tests using the Clear Ballistics gel. We made two 16" blocks and laid them end to end.

We fired one bullet of 124 and 147 grain weights into bare gel followed by a shot using the heavy clothing barrier. This new barrier was bought from CB and consists of two layers of cotton, a layer of fleece and a layer of denim.

Results with this barrier vs four layers of denim were pretty much the same.

Here's the 147 in bare gel with an impact velocity of 1,007fps. The bullet penetrated 11" and opened perfectly. The bullet fragments in the second pic are pieces of the 124 HHP that fragmented in the block.

The same bullet/load was a pass through after clothing. There is some disruption visible in the first 12" or so of gel but after that the bullet settled down and left a tiny track through the blocks.

Next up was the 124 HHP with an impact velocity of 1,132. Interestingly this load is .4 grains less than my +P load but is still trucking along.

The 124gr penetrated to 10" but the bullet broke apart.

Next we tried the clothing barrier. The bullet penetrated 16.25" and just barely poked into the second block. The bullet lost one petal and showed minimum expansion.

A third shot with the 124 HHP through clothing resulted in a complete pass through.

All in all, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the Berry's HHP. They look nice, as far as JHP bullets go, and are priced well but the performance just doesn't seem to be there. Granted, they can and do work well in bare gel and will probably work okay after passing through a light barrier like a shirt but they just don't expand with any reliability after a heavy clothing test.

Berry's in still on to something here and with a bit of tweaking I think they'll have a nice bullet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-20-17 at 18:25.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We remelted and reformed two 16in blocks and laid them end to end this morning. I fired a few of the 124's into both bare gel and with clothing barriers.

These have been loaded to give a 1,040ish average from a 4in barrel. As per usual the gel was placed 10ft from the muzzle.

The first bullet fired into bare gel expanded a little too much and dropped a chunk of petal. Penetration was 9in.

Next was another bullet into bare gel. This yielded 10in of penetration and nice uniform expansion. Also tested, and laid out from bottom to top, is one layer of t-shirt and a layer of t-shirt and denim.

The t-shirt also penetrated 10in and the t-shirt/denim combo made it right to 13in.

Last was a layer of t-shirt, shirt, fleece and denim. As with the 147, the bullet passed through both blocks and was not recovered. Wound track in the gel shows little if any expansion.

I think, at this point, I have concluded with gel testing on the HHP's. Bullets work okay through light clothing and bare gel but do not appear to be able to pass the heavy clothing test.

Overall, not a bad bullet for the money. They seem accurate and I'll probably just load the rest of them at minor power factor and shoot them as match ammo.

Last edited by Tokarev; 11-10-16 at 12:45.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is probably my last post relating to the 124 HHP.

I loaded up a small handful of these with 5.1gr of Winchester Auto Comp. Chronograph showed these just a tad under 1,000 fps. The same load with a SiG/Sierra 125gr V Crown chrono'ed at about 1,050 fps.

The slower HHP penetrated 11in in bare gel and expanded fully. No loss of material. Through the four layers of material the bullet punched through one block and well into the second with zero expansion.

For comparison, the V Crown in bare gel punched fully through the one block and just kissed into the second yielding just over 16in. Through clothing the V Crown punched fully through both blocks. I fired another bullet through clothing and had another pass through. I did manage to find one of these pass through bullets on the ground behind the blocks.

Here's the bare gel HHP. Note the other "wound tracks" in the first block.

Here's the V Crown in bare gel.

Here's the HHP after heavy clothing.

And all four bullets for comparison. HHPs on top. SiGs on the bottom.

Recovered diameters.

HHP

V Crown

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was fortunate enough to find a partial box of Speer 147 Gold Dots as components and loaded them up with 5.2gr of Silhouette. This was what I have been using with the 147 HHP's.

The bullet fired into bare gel had an impact velocity of 1,025 fps and penetrated 15.5in. It is pictured on the left. I then fired two bullets through the four layers of clothing. One bullet penetrated 16.5in and the other went 17in. These are the middle and right bullet. The middle bullet gave a velocity of 1,026. The chrono missed the third bullet.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Cool pics and tests.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The gel is geting amazingly dirty. With each melting it gets a little darker.

We tried straining it through various things. Panty hose, Cerakote strainers, etc but nothing really does much.

Last edited by Tokarev; 12-12-16 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I picked up a box of 45 ACP HHPs but haven't loaded any yet. I'm not sure what I'm expecting but it'll be fun to see how they work out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just a brief update.

I haven't loaded very many of the 45 HHP yet but have found they turn in much lower velocities than expected. I think I've finally got a load with Unique that pushes the bullet to the recommended 970fps.

I'll see if I can't try a couple of these in gel this coming week. If not it'll be well after the 1st of the year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123